So why exactly is Tali so loved?

#61dourtewgPosted 2/2/2010 11:34:01 PM
The thing that struck me about Tali's vehement response to Shepard's suggestion that the Quarians find another world, is that her outburst is probably the one affirmation ANY character makes in the game that you can't change with a blue line or a red line. In the first game, you can charm or intimidate Wrex into cooperating to destroy the cure for the genophage. You know, the bioweapon that the salarians engineered to reduce their viable birthrate by a factor of 1000?

It's a neat "Wow Shepard's charismatic", but what does it say about Wrex? The arguments that Shepard offered (I only saw the Paragon one; on my Renegade playthrough, I just shot him) were weak. Something along the lines of "Saren will just use the cure to control these Krogan he's breeding!" So what? Couldn't Wrex have held firm and asked him to grab a copy of the formula, or a test tube full? No, he just falls into line and accepts Shepard's worldview, despite it possibly meaning the slow extinction of his entire race. Granted, he goes home and tries to fix his culture, but it just doesn't seem realistic for him to go, "Oh, now I see. We need to have our females have miscarraiges 99.9% of the time, so the rest of the galaxy is happy."

For some characters, you can essentially dictate their beliefs to them. Garrus stands tall as a shining example of this. In both the first and second games, you can convince him to kill or spare someone; in the second game, the Turian who betrayed Garrus's team and got them all killed, along with Garrus's new face. Shepard can either turn him to the light side, or turn him to the dark side, completely defining Garrus's morals, and Garrus THANKS her for it, either way. Then again, Garrus is made of fail, but that's another topic..

Even Mordin, who's right up there with most hilarious and original character in any game, can be manipulated on the most basic level into not only doing what Shepard wants, but THINKING what Shepard wants, and then saying "Thanks!"

Tali doesn't DO that. She's the only person in the whole Mass Effect universe that seriously stands up to Shepard in a conversation. (Hell, you could convince Saren to KILL HIMSELF.) Regardless of her "nerdiness" and "shyness" and what have you, I respect the hell out of her character because she alone in the Mass Effect universe, with the possible exception of Sovereign, disagrees with Shepard and won't back down. And Sovereign's in little pieces on the Citadel and in research labs across the galaxy. Tali's on tha crew.

And dammit, I wanted female Shepard to hook up with her, but nooooo, femShep just goes up to her quarters and looks at that frigid ****** Liara's picture. Dammit.
---
Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you! Col "Chesty" Puller, USMC
#62SpacePirateKhanPosted 2/2/2010 11:55:26 PM
I dunno. I wouldn't have different tastes in real life than my avatar in Mass Effect has. Tali's an awesome character. I would expect something very unusual looks-wise, judging from other non-Asari alien species in ME. But weird isn't necessarily a bad thing.
---
"The best things in life must be taken by force!"
~Captain Khan
#63ME BERISHNIKOFTPosted 2/3/2010 12:10:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#64ME BERISHNIKOFTPosted 2/3/2010 12:23:17 AM
I could go into why I think Tali is awesome, but people have already listed them.

- Great Character, in depth
- View into heritage
- Lovably awkward, yet spunky in her own right
- Caring and adorable personality
- Physically, great hips, legs, and body. Basically an attractive nerdy girl (and who doesn't love those)
- I like accents >___>

anyway

I see one thing in this topic that I don't understand...

I don't understand where all of the...she'd be a"butter-face" and "piss smelling" in Real Life comments are coming from.

1. Judging from what we can see under the mask, her face is symmetrical, her eyes are curved and luminescent, her nose is a lovely size, and we can assume she has some hair from the bulge in back. Although we can't really get an accurate judge of skin color, most people have come to the conclusion that she is pale purple, which I think is fine IMHO, but that's up for debate, seeing as the visor seems to be transparent and tinted. The only thing that isn't shown is her mouth, and we can assume given her already shown qualities, her mouth is attractively small. This is also backed up by the fact that we cannot see it behind the respirator, which is also a small object. If it was huge and butter face, we would see it.

2. Why do you all think she smells? She must clean herself and the suit, obviously, otherwise she'd be sick all of the time. Her suit having mold would get her sick too. If anything, she probably has a back-up respirator she might use when she cleans the suit. Also, note that if she stunk, Shepard probably would have shown it during the romance scene. If anything, she probably has no scent, and has completely gotten rid of it. Only sweat would have an effect.

What I don't get is, why would RL be any different from the game, if what happens in the game is supposed to be the "what-if" of real life? In the game, she is obviously very clean and doesn't smell and is probably attractive given the evidence of Shepard not falling backwards in horror, so why should we assume it would be different in RL? Except for possible break outs on people's faces that animators obviously don't want, since all VG faces are perfect....why would anything in the game appearance wise be considered different if in RL?
---
I'm madly in love with you. Yes, you. Yes, the one looking at this. No this is not a joke. No, you cannot unread this.
#65ME BERISHNIKOFTPosted 2/3/2010 12:24:28 AM
whoa...the post count for this topic is one behind. I hate it when that happens
---
I'm madly in love with you. Yes, you. Yes, the one looking at this. No this is not a joke. No, you cannot unread this.
#66HandOfCheesePosted 2/3/2010 12:47:03 AM
Dear Berishnikoft,

you see what you did there? You used the word "obviously" :-). Nothing about Tali here is obvious,seeing as how she's wearing a suit and no other character comments on her appearance and/or smell. But her traits, as you described them are obvious to YOU, much like someone else would find it obvious that Tali has a horse face and is swimming in her own waste (Not my words, but of a poster earlier on this thread :-p).

The worst part is that for all my "attacks" I too adore Tali! She's a perfect fit to my "outspoken lone wolf, easy to trust others but not to open up." Paragon Shepard, but I don't delude myself with constant justifications as to WHY I adore her - she's a very good character, very likable and awfully cute when chatted up, but that's it.

Besides, after all we've done for her, when we finally see her face in ME3, she'd better be stunningly cute and smell like puppies and dandelions :-p.

---
You must always lose something to truly learn what you had.
#67ME BERISHNIKOFTPosted 2/3/2010 12:51:15 AM
^touche, lol.

Sorry, saying "obviously" is kinda a habit for me, even if it isn't. Same with the word "Basically."

those two words have kinda lost meaning when I speak them, since they are habits in my speech. They're like my "ums" when I tell stories to friends.

I didn't mean obviously as in "you're stupid for not seeing this." I meant it more as in "it's likely, given the circumstance"
---
#68AGENTDV1Posted 2/3/2010 1:28:41 AM
I like Tali for one reason, and probably the same reason everyone else here won't admit to. She wears a mask, and we all hope deep down, Tali is ridiculously hot. I personally am praying for a Jessica Alba or maybe Jessica Biel under that helmet, but everyone has their own fantasy.

Comparitively, Miranda is in fact a real life hawtie, but her in game is just too unreal looking, plasticy if you will. Jack...she's bald man, forget that. Samara looks old, as does Morinth. Kelly works, but meh, she gets in your head. Stay out of my head.

Jumping back to Miranda, her attitude really annoys me. She has to get the last word, she swears she knows all, during the suicide mission, she has to one up everyone and every idea, and seriously, she's pretty meh in game. Yvonne Strahovski is super hot and all, but Miranda Lawson needs to gtfo.

Tali honestly plays the the sweet, girl next door foreigner that just moved into your apartment building who you help carry groceries to her apartment a couple times and secretly fall in love with. Everyone who can't admit this...well you have no soul I tell you.
---
Look me up if you got a PS3.
PSN Tag:AgentDv1
#69AgentRebornPosted 2/3/2010 3:24:41 AM
The thing that struck me about Tali's vehement response to Shepard's suggestion that the Quarians find another world, is that her outburst is probably the one affirmation ANY character makes in the game that you can't change with a blue line or a red line. In the first game, you can charm or intimidate Wrex into cooperating to destroy the cure for the genophage. You know, the bioweapon that the salarians engineered to reduce their viable birthrate by a factor of 1000?

Its part of what makes Wrex different. Its what sets him apart from the other Krogan. Every other species in the game regard the Krogan as brutal mercenaries. The game constantly forces how barbaric they are in our collective faces.

Wrex's seemingly unique ability (among Krogan) to think rationally is part of his character.
---
Wes Johnson Tracker: 17.1 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 1.9 BPG
#70Tyrant02Posted 2/3/2010 3:50:13 AM
Nerdy girls are a turnoff. Tali is boring and uninteresting.....
---
XBL Gamertag: FRIZBIZ
Colts 16-2 (2ND SUPER BOWL IN 4 YEARS) Pacers 16-31