Assault Armor vs Power Armor (Sentinel)

#1XeroShinobiPosted 2/4/2010 9:54:48 PM
The most widely accepted opinion is that Power Armor is superior to Assault Armor. After having used both and weighing the pros and cons of each evolution, I have to disagree with this notion. Here is why:

It is generally believed that Power Armor grants more shielding; it in fact does not. Both grant exactly the same amount. The half-charged normal shield bonus when Assault Armor detonates equates to the extra 25% present in Power Armor.

Additionally, the fact that the shielding is divided into two parts (pre/post detonation) is actually beneficial. Certain attacks can one hit Power Armor on Insanity, however, no matter how powerful an attack is, it can never break shields and inflict health damage on the same hit; the extra 25% shielding is wasted. Assault Armor would take the same damage in these circumstances, and still grant the half normal shield bonus. This also applies to any situation with high damage attacks when shielding is already low.

Once more, the fact that a portion of the shielding kicks in post detonation in Assault Armor means that in most circumstances, the stun time dealt on enemies is converted into damage-free recharge time for the next Assault Armor that can be used to attack without fear of being killed in one hit. Factor in that Assault Armor has a larger radius and knockback effect, and this little portion of information is incredibly useful. It is possible to rush around most battles with Assault Armor with reckless abandon, killing enemies in record time. The extra damage from the armor detonation doesn't hurt, either.

The only pro Power Armor has is the 15% power damage increase. However, powers, especially on Insanity, aren't nearly as powerful as ammo types. A Sentinel with full Warp Ammo dishes out more damage than any power. The only damage-inflicting power on a Sentinel worth using regularly is Overload. Heavy Overload by itself is enough to destroy most shields in one shot without the 15% increase, and any shield that isn't destroyed in one shot will usually have more than 15% left anyways.
---
Let your enemy graze your skin and you smash his flesh; let him smash your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life.
#2SushiSquidPosted 2/4/2010 10:03:57 PM
From playing with a Sentinel I've slowly been starting to agree completely with everything in this topic except for one: Sentinels should use Tungsten Ammo rather than Heavy Warp Ammo. Other than that, Overload for removing shields and barriers and Throw Field or Heavy Throw to disable unprotected targets are the only powers you use that damage. Warp only needs a point just so you can shut off regen.

Yes, I think Assault Armor might truly be better. Unlike most powers with a range, Tech Armor's range is huge and Assault makes it even larger. You also get a total of 125% shield from it, broken into two parts which, as mentioned, is actually beneficial.
---
http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/SushiSquid.png
#3XeroShinobi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2010 10:21:41 PM
Yeah, Assault gives more pure shielding than Power, which I should have probably mentioned. It's more one-sided than just "even" with a beneficial partition. 125% bonus to total shielding as opposed to 100% from Power.

Really, I don't see why anyone thought Power Armor was better.

I haven't done enough research into ammo types to argue which is better. You may in fact be right about that. The point remains that a good ammo type is most certainly a better option than overusing weak powers.
---
Let your enemy graze your skin and you smash his flesh; let him smash your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life.
#4SushiSquidPosted 2/4/2010 10:31:09 PM
Tungsten is +70% to health and armor. Warp is 50% to everything, but shields and barrier can be taken down with Overload. I prefer Tungsten because it's an extra 20% damage in most circumstances, even though it's 50% less against the stronger enemies who have tougher shielding.

But I agree that an ammo power is a Sentinel's best bet. One of the main reasons Tech Armor is better than Fortification/Barrier/Geth Shield Boost is that it has no duration. Ammo powers are the same. You can buff yourself with both shielding and ammo before a fight and they won't conflict with your cooldown when the fight starts. The Sentinel's only weakness is a lack of damage output. An ammo power fixes that.
---
http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/SushiSquid.png
#5XeroShinobi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2010 10:37:06 PM
Hmm, in the matter of Tungsten vs. Warp Ammo, I'd have to say play style affects the choice more than anything. If one intends to rush as much as possible, Warp is a better bet. It's best to keep your next available power open for Tech Armor in that case, which minimizes the use of Overload.

For more varied play, Tungsten is the better choice. It is possible to really let lesser enemies feel the pain by rushing, but one will probably have to sit back on the tougher enemies, like you mentioned.

However, no matter ones play-style, Assault Armor trumps Power Armor in almost every aspect, which I think we can both agree on.
---
#6dissonance-zaonPosted 2/4/2010 10:37:12 PM
I suspected this much as well when I tried it. The only issue I had with Assault Armor is that since it goes down faster, I had to recast it more often. Which means more time on cooldown. Though, I admit that the "oh !@#$" protection it provides (the knockdown radius + the extra shielding) was really nice.

I only recently decided to use Power Armor again in conjunction with Raider for a total of 30% power damage bonus, but I think I'll try AA again on my Insanity run.
#7XeroShinobi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2010 10:38:25 PM
That's the thing, as long as you don't panic when Assault Armor detonates (remember you have a 50% bonus coming your way), Assault Armor provides more shielding than Power Armor.
---
#8dissonance-zaonPosted 2/4/2010 10:42:19 PM
LoL yeah, I learned that too. I still thought AA was better than Power but now that I'm reading about weapon usage being better for damage than powers, I'll have to switch back.
#9XeroShinobi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2010 10:56:18 PM
I think the problem most people have with Assault Armor is that they use it like Power Armor and neglect the shield partition. The rest of the stragglers clinging to Power Armor seem to put too much emphasis on the 15% power damage bonus.

I was pretty surprised by the sheer degree of superiority Assault Armor has over Power Armor when I was testing it out. I'm usually a sucker for increased attack power of any kind. Assault Armor is better both defensively and offensively.
---
#10illmatic8Posted 2/4/2010 11:02:32 PM
I'm also on board with Assault Armor, but skipping Warp and picking up Reave is a better option than getting any kind of ammo.

Just use Garrus on your team with squad AP ammo. You get a 50% damage boost to health and armor, plus you have Reave. Garrus is also awesome. Before this is an option you can use Jack with squad Warp ammo.