Shredder vs. Armor Piercing vs. Warp Ammunition

#1tagamaynila425Posted 2/14/2011 7:02:20 PM
From what I've read so far Shredder works best against health, AP against health and armor, and Warp against health, armor and barrier plus extra damage against enemies affected by biotics. If this is true why bother with AP and Shredder? Does the other two ammo upgrades have any advantages over Warp? I'm asking this question because i want a versatile ammo upgrade that i can use as a bonus skill for an engineer who has no ammo upgrade. I want something that i can just keep active and have my tech and teammates fill the whatever void that the ammo does not cover. I've completed a hardcore playthrough with an engineer with AP ammo and AR training and it worked pretty well. I want to try out insanity and see if i have better ammo options.
---
PSN ID: tagamaynila
#2SandOcean420Posted 2/14/2011 7:05:22 PM
Warp does extra damage to Biotics and Shields, APA does more to armor and health, and Shredder to organic health. Do not ever use Shredder, it is terrible. Warp is the way to go, as collectors (and most importantly Harbinger) have barriers and armor. APA has it's uses, but the barrier damage makes Warp worth it.
---
Mixin' goose and Malibu I call it MaliBOOYEAH!
#3NotoriousEhmPosted 2/14/2011 7:15:05 PM
As a loyal Infiltrator, I have to say that it doesn't matter once you've obtained the Widow. That thing is a beast. However strategically speaking I use Armour-Piercing to accompany Cryo ammo and Disruptor Ammo.
---
If the whole human race lay in one grave, the epitaph on its headstone might well be: It seemed like a good idea at the time. --Rebecca West
PSN: Yhallo
#4ZandockPosted 2/14/2011 7:19:04 PM
Shredder Ammo has the largest damage bonus, but is ONLY effective against organic health, which makes it all but useless on the higher difficulties.

Warp Ammo does offer greater coverage than AP Ammo, but AP ammo offers a higher damage bonus. I almost always like to use Inferno Ammo when I have it available, though, as the crowd control is very nice, and the damage difference is is not very behind AP ammo.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Dom/photo00035.jpg
#5Divided_By_OnePosted 2/14/2011 7:33:34 PM
Don't forget you can upgrade some of your squad-mates ammo to affect everyone. On my Hardcore (or was it veteran, whichever is just under Insanity in difficulty) run-through I was using Jacks Squad Warp ammo (when I wasn't using Zaeed's Squad disruptor ammo), and had a little problem with Scions, but it was other wise well rounded. Scions, which are pure armor die quicker to Armour Piercing, but Warp was good for taking out the Collectors. Armour piercing is also slightly more useful against Husks, which are another problem some people have.

Shredder is only really useful on loooow difficulties, but either of the other are good choices if you aren't taking advantage of your squad-mates abilities.
---
"Does one really need the power to destroy everything?" -Fei Fong Wong
#6tagamaynila425(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2011 7:47:14 PM
Based on my other playthroughs Inferno and Cryo are indeed useful. Unfortunately, they're not bonus skills that you can give to Shepard so my engineer have no access to them other than having a teammate with said ammo upgrades evolve them to squad ammo. I still want the flexibility of being able to choose whatever teammate i want which is why i prefer that Shepard have the upgrade him/herself. Based on your replies so far i guess Warp really is superior in most cases.
---
PSN ID: tagamaynila
#7Ramza1Posted 2/14/2011 8:01:09 PM
Generally speaking, the more things an ammo power is good against, the smaller the damage bonus will be.

Shredder has the biggest bonus, but only works on health.
AP has a smaller bonus, but works on armor and health.
Warp has the smallest bonus but works on barriers, armor, and health, and gets double bonus against biotically affected targets.

Warp is one you'll almost never regret having, except it has no bonus against shields, which I guess is the most common form of protection. Still, armor is very common on higher difficulties.

BTW, does anyone know if Warp Ammo gets a double bonus against protected targets if they are being staggered by a singularity? I'd assume they have to be in the "floating" stage of singularity, but it'd be good to know if it works on the staggered ones too.
---
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!
#8ZandockPosted 2/14/2011 10:14:21 PM

BTW, does anyone know if Warp Ammo gets a double bonus against protected targets if they are being staggered by a singularity? I'd assume they have to be in the "floating" stage of singularity, but it'd be good to know if it works on the staggered ones too.

They have to be ragdolled.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Dom/photo00035.jpg
#9RunitePosted 2/14/2011 10:20:24 PM
Also, shield is arguably the easiest protection to target with your choice in weapons rather than with powers. Between SMGs, assault rifles and the Geth Pulse Shotgun, any class can combine a shield-busting weapon with warp ammo to get a reliable universal damage boost. Which is why I tend to keep Heavy Warp Ammo as my bonus power.
#10veralecePosted 2/14/2011 11:41:42 PM
I like incendiary ammo, panics organics, has some effectiveness against all types of protection, and panics organics. Some people swear by cryo ammo, but for me it seems like the freezing effect doesn't happen often, maybe I'm just unlucky. Warp ammo is really good, but very situational.