Best Companions / Squad for an Adept?

#1TheDebaucheryPosted 3/24/2012 7:29:27 PM
I'm essentially just running with the same main character I used for the first Mass Effect... except it isn't proving quite as effective this time. Back in the first Mass Effect I had absolutely zero trouble as an adept because I had a ton of powers with independent cooldown and electronics as the bonus to keep my shields high.
Now suddenly that same Adept is horrendously squishy in Mass Effect 2, and I figure it is about time for me to start picking squad-members based on something OTHER than just whose attitude I like best...

So... the question is much as in the title:
Which squadmembers are best suited to support an Adept Shepherd?

I'm still near the beginning of the game, still recruiting... and so far I've mostly been using Garrus and Mordin. I've done Kasumi's loyalty mission, and while Kasumi seems quite useful, the fact that she keeps running into the line of fire has been irritating me significantly. I don't know whether friendly fire is much of a thing or not, but if it is then Kasumi is lucky she hasn't become a corpse by now.

(Note: I think I ought to take Miranda's loyalty skill Slam for the bonus skill this time, unless Barrier would be better... mostly because Slam looks on the surface to be an obscenely powerful attack power, and a good offense is the best defense.)
#2Ernst_JungerPosted 3/24/2012 8:04:58 PM
It also depends on difficulty level. You need someone to take down shields and armor on higher levels. If so, get someone with overload.

Adept felt underpowered on higher difficulties. I typically brought a soldier and someone with tech powers.

Miranda: Squad health bonus, overload, and biotics that, when leveled up, smash most opponents.

Garrus: Overload, strong fighter, concussive shot.

Zaaed: Similar to Garrus, only no overload. Incendiary grenade is very useful for splatter damage, incineration and crowd control.

Grunt: Hard to kill, great for running interference.

Kasumi: She rarely dies on me, maneuvers well for hard-to-hit targets. Plus her mission gave you a great submachine gun.

Tali: Drone is a fourth squad member for its duration.

Mordin: Tends to be squishy, but great for igniting armor

Less useful:

-- A certain convict (biotics are redundant to yours)
-- Jacob Taylor (he just eats your health packs)
-- A certain drell: Some people like him for his character, but I found him to be another healthpack consumer when there are stronger soldiers available
#3TheDebauchery(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2012 9:03:09 PM(edited)
I'm playing on Normal for the first playthrough.
Since Adept between ME1 and ME2 seems to have gone from the strongest to the weakest class, I guess I'll need to run another class through ME1 first before I attempt an Ins playthrough of ME2... Probably an Infiltrator...

But for now I'm content to just throw around what biotics I can and be done with it.

... So... would Garrus and Miranda be a good combo? I mean they've both got Overload for one thing (if one enemy has shields, chances are a few of them do)...
#4MattheauPosted 3/25/2012 2:26:46 AM
Adept isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It just seems a lot worse because it went from "Nearly invincible and capable of permanently disabling every enemy on the screen and pistols were extremely overpowered to the point their talent skill could make them the highest damage weapons in the game" to "fairly balanced crowd control." Warp is an excellent power and, unlike ME1, should be a priority. The others are different levels of crowd control.

It depends what you are fighting. Unlike the first game, using the same two squad members for every single mission isn't the best strategy.

Ernst_Junger posted...
-- A certain drell: Some people like him for his character, but I found him to be another healthpack consumer when there are stronger soldiers available

That's because he isn't a soldier, so using him like one is going to make him die. He's a sniper with the exact abilities to absolutely slaughter the main type of enemies found in the game. He has the highest possible weapon damage modifier. He comes with Warp (letting him take out the two most common types of defenses easily). Once health protection is gone, he basically one shots everything at that point, even on Insanity. He just isn't a meat shield, which is all most of the other combat oriented characters are good for.

TheDebauchery posted...
... So... would Garrus and Miranda be a good combo? I mean they've both got Overload for one thing (if one enemy has shields, chances are a few of them do)...

Not really. Shields usually pose very little issue. They are generally the weakest defense in the game. Outside Hardcore and Insanity, it's pretty rare to see more than one character with shields at a time. Overload is really only particularly useful against synthetics, who aren't that common in the game. Unlike Incinerate and Warp, it also can't damage most enemies in the game significantly, if at all, on any difficulty level. It also doesn't stop health regen. If an enemy is unprotected it is a minor crowd control ability, but other skills do it better.

You never need more than one person with Overload and, for many missions, you don't even need that.
#5Blarg92Posted 3/25/2012 7:50:58 AM
Change your squad depending on the mission. If you know you'll be fighting geth, for instance, double overload tears through them.
---
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be.~Office Space
#6Ernst_JungerPosted 3/25/2012 8:05:37 AM
My answer was geared toward Hardcore or Insanity, all armor and shields. You can get away with almost any squad on Normal.

Mattheau - I agree on the Drell. I just find that he likes to die on harder levels, despite the high damage threshold.

Also, if you're playing Normal, you can team with the other biotics to detonate and destroy just about everything in sight.