My GOD this game is amazing.

#11GlavewurmPosted 2/15/2013 6:55:04 PM
Most importantly though - nothing you do in ME2 really matters for the story.

The way I see it:

ME1 - World building
ME2 - Cast and set up
ME3 - War

ME2 is episodic, and the main goal is minor in the grand scheme of things, but the people and ideas that show up along the way basically make up over half the plot of ME3. Would Tuchanka work as well without Mordin and his talks? Or Rannoch and Legion? It also means the side missions have familiar faces (except the MP map ones), instead of ME1&2's random pointlessness.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ilv68.gif
#12StonedwolfedPosted 2/16/2013 2:46:45 AM
Yeah, it's more like ME1 set up the story and ME2 set up all the cameos that constitute most of the gameplay in ME3.
---
GT viberunner - MW2 Legend - now with added microphone technology
#13GlavewurmPosted 2/16/2013 3:23:36 PM
The Reapers at the end of ME1 killed for an unknown reason, the Reapers at the end of ME2 had both a reason and a hint at something more to it "That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through destruction".

Cerberus is an ex-Alliance group with an ironic name in ME1, and fleshed out in ME2.

The whole Rannoch thing is given a backstory in ME1 but not much more. It's given a conflict in ME2.

The Genophage is introduced as an issue in ME1 and made more personal in ME2.

Those are all important parts of the story. If the story was just "we need to stop the Reapers" it would be very dull. Not even ME1 was that. ME1 had you jumping through hoops chasing Saren, with the Reapers as almost an afterthought until the endgame.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ilv68.gif
#14norwishPosted 2/17/2013 6:49:40 PM
Glavewurm posted...
Most importantly though - nothing you do in ME2 really matters for the story.

The way I see it:

ME1 - World building
ME2 - Cast and set up
ME3 - War

ME2 is episodic, and the main goal is minor in the grand scheme of things, but the people and ideas that show up along the way basically make up over half the plot of ME3. Would Tuchanka work as well without Mordin and his talks? Or Rannoch and Legion? It also means the side missions have familiar faces (except the MP map ones), instead of ME1&2's random pointlessness.

That's actually a really good way of looking at it. Someone else mentioned that 3 plays out like one long goodbye, and I think that's accurate too.

The cast is definitely what makes ME2 great in my opinion.
---
GT: Official Loser
PSN: OfficialLoser