I am too nervous to start an insanity run.

#1TheY2AProblemPosted 2/9/2013 3:58:41 PM
I am currently 61/62 on this game and I'm slightly nervous. There's so many ways I can approach this achievement.

I have...

-A level 60 ME soldier.
-A level 30 ME 2 soldier that was the level 60 ME soldier.
-A level 50 ME adept.
-A level 58 ME adept
-I'm playing as the adept right now

So I'm asking, should I use one of the soldiers? I'm sure he's got the best weapons and armor from all the hacking I did. Should I beat ME2 with my level 50 adept? Should I level up my 58 adept to 60 and then import her? The adept I'm using in ME2, I'm refraining from hacking anything so I'm guessing she won't have good weapons and armor. I'm still going to beat the game with my adept on casual as I'm doing a "mostly paragon" run with her.
---
I'm calling it right now the third 6th generation Pokemon game is going to be called Zeta. - Me (January 8th 2013)
#2LordTrinenPosted 2/9/2013 5:28:28 PM
I haven't gotten the Insanity achievement yet either but I have done a lot of reading about it. I plan to use a Soldier and I recommend the same for you. They have a nice combination of durability and firepower. An Adept's biotics are greatly hindered if your enemies have any sort of protection like shields or armor. On Insanity almost all enemies have protection. Even husks now have armor. You'll have a big disadvantage with your biotics on Insanity.

DO NOT use New Game+ when playing on Insanity. You actually lose a lot of crucial bonuses in NG+. You'll start without all the weapon and armor upgrades you bought and researched on the Normandy. You'll start off a lot weaker but your enemies will still be very strong.
#3AigonrothPosted 2/9/2013 9:25:20 PM
Pick either Sentinel or Soldier for your first Insanity playthrough, those two classes are the easiest (you could change your Adept to Sentinel in ME2 if you wanted, unless you just wish to maintain lore integrity).

Though you could still use your Adept just fine on Insanity, Singularity and Warp still work just fine against enemies with defenses, if you want a bonus power that does the same pick up Stasis or Reave.

The thing with Adept is that if it is going to be your first Insanity Playthrough is to be patient, cover is your friend as an Adept.

Also Adepts do not have the Defense Boosting powers of Sentinels, Soldiers, and Vanguards (Tech Armor, Hardened Adrenaline Rush, and Charge), the Distraction power of Engineers (Combat Drone), or the ability to turn invisible like Infiltrators (Tactical Cloak).

That means you are technically the most fragile class in the game (even though Engineers are technically as squishy as you and probably a couple of the other classes I don't have the exact Shields/Barriers and Health of all the classes on hand).

As an Adept you need to keep an eye on which enemies are at Health and those that are closest to getting there.

Enemies at Health should be hit with Pull preferably followed by Warp to trigger a Warp Detonation, this will deal a large amount of damage to enemies all around your target and you can easily strip the defenses of grunts around your target (thus ripening them for Warp Detonation Exploitation)

Another thing is to learn to place Singularity for maximum effectiveness it will hold enemies with defenses just fine, hit them with the appropriate power to crush their defenses (Overload/Energy Drain for Shields, Warp/Reave for Barriers and Armor, Incinerate (if you bring Mordin along) for Armor.

This will cause enemies caught within your Singularity to start floating, hit them with Warp to trigger a Warp Detonation.

That is the basic idea of an Adept, Warp Detonating the crap out of everything.

As an Adept don't try and force your way through to many situations, that isn't going to get you far, you aren't a Combat Class, or the weird tank thing that the Sentinel became.

Another thing, you have guns; use them. Adepts start with a weapon type strong versus Armor and their other one is strong versus Shields.

Also make sure you are the one in control of your Squadmate's powers, they provide some good powers and you want to be able to decide when to use them because the AI sucks with them.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#4pkmastah15Posted 2/10/2013 8:03:57 PM
^This pretty much. Warp detonate is pretty much everything for adept.

I've played my first run on Insanity as adept. I played engineer and infiltrator on lower difficulty first though. Although in the beginning it was hard as ****, once you get used to singularity + warp explosions, things get a lot easier.

The first thing you need to do when you play as an adept in the beginning is upgrade singularity to max and make it into wide singularity. It's more important to have singularity that holds a lot of enemies in place rather than having a stronger warp. Even if warp is low level, it will still do a lot of damage when it explodes. After maxing out singularity is to max to bastion so that you reduce cooldown. Seriously, the cooldown bonus is a LIFE SAVER in insanity. After that is finally maxing out warp.

With that setup, you can pretty much beat the whole game without relying on anything else (I rarely even used my guns...). Shields and barriers are still annoying as ****, but the warp detonations do a hell of a lot of damage to not make it a such a pain.

I just started a new playthrough as vanguard on Insanity and it's easier than adept IMO. I'm way more close to dying a lot of the time because I charge recklessly, but it's still easier than adept. Adepts are so flimsy and can die SO fast if out of cover for even a second. Worst mission with adepts are the ones where singularity can't hold enemies in place like Grunt's loyalty mission. That mission was hell with adept.
#5GlavewurmPosted 2/10/2013 11:01:05 PM
I don't get why everyone goes Bastion in ME2. Your spells are going to explode before they expire anyway. They give the same cooldown bonus. Might as well get a stronger Warp Explosion from Nemesis.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ilv68.gif
#6AigonrothPosted 2/11/2013 5:28:26 PM
Glavewurm posted...
I don't get why everyone goes Bastion in ME2. Your spells are going to explode before they expire anyway. They give the same cooldown bonus. Might as well get a stronger Warp Explosion from Nemesis.

I take Bastion because it provides some nice leeway for me to be able to pick different dialogues rather than having to stick so adamantly to one alignment.

Also Heavy Singularity + Bastion has lead to some funny encounters for me, because I have had Harbinger get trapped in my Heavy Singularity for its entire duration multiple times, which means he shuts up for a nice amount of time, sure it isn't practical but Harbinger sitting there watching all of his minions die and not being able to do anything about it never gets old to me.

Also does the Power Damage bonus from Nemesis actually affect Warp Explosions?
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#7GlavewurmPosted 2/11/2013 8:55:57 PM
Alignment bonus is a fair point. Singularity lasts forever as it is, though I guess Forever + 15% can still be nice. And yes, Nemesis affects Warp Explosions.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ilv68.gif
#8pkmastah15Posted 2/12/2013 11:41:58 AM
Aigonroth posted...
Also Heavy Singularity + Bastion has lead to some funny encounters for me, because I have had Harbinger get trapped in my Heavy Singularity for its entire duration multiple times, which means he shuts up for a nice amount of time, sure it isn't practical but Harbinger sitting there watching all of his minions die and not being able to do anything about it never gets old to me.

That's exactly what I did for the final battle and is a prime example of why singularity is so useful other than for detonating. I once even had Harbinger RIGHT next to me with both my comrades dead (I don't know how he came up so close without me noticing). I would've been dead if I didn't use singularity to hold him + collector beam spamming.
#9utawoutauPosted 2/13/2013 9:31:45 PM
Its easier to beat insanity playing a brand new game than new game+.
#10pprincessPosted 2/14/2013 9:37:04 AM(edited)
I was really nervous myself starting an Insanity game on ME 2 for the first time. I had never played any game on Insanity AND Mass Effect is the only gun-shooting game I play and I wasn't great at shooting.

Also, I'm a 47 year old woman, been gaming since childhood, but I think I react more to what's onscreen because graphics have evolved so much in recent years. When I fought the Krogan Battlemaster on Therum in ME 1 the first time, I thought I was going to have a heart attack, my chest was pounding so fast.

But I posted on this board and the guys here were just so great, I couldn't have finished my first Infiltrator Insanity game without the ideas and support of everyone here! ^^

You can do it too! You're probably younger than I am, for one, and gun better too.