New To Vanguards...How do I build these guys?

#1Big D2Posted 2/9/2013 4:57:26 PM
So, I just started a new game with a Shepard I carried over from the first game, and I decided to make her a Vanguard this time around, having played this game as a soldier many times before.

Trouble is, I now find my ass getting handed to me on missions that were a breeze for me as a soldier. I heard so much about how strong the Vanguards are in ME2, but I don't see it here...my biotic attacks always miss, charge often leads to me getting shredded, and I can't use assault rifles anymore, which sucks, 'cause I don't like weapons with low ammo capacity.

I guess I'm just not leveling this class correctly. If anyone could tell me how to best utilize a vanguard, I'd appreciate it. I'd love to know how to best use my powers, especially against Krogan and Vorcha, because they can regenerate health, and are a pain in the ass to me because of that.
#2LordTrinenPosted 2/9/2013 5:36:01 PM
I had a lot of trouble playing a Vanguard as well. My first Vanguard trilogy playthrough I died more times than all my previous playthroughs combined. You really have to play smart when using a Vanguard.

Biotic Charge is the Vanguard's ultimate weapon. It damages enemies, restores barriers and puts you within ideal melee/shotgun range. But you have to use it wisely. Only use it on isolated enemies. If you try to charge into a group of enemies they'll start hammering you, preventing you from using Charge again to escape. Wait for an enemy to wander off on his own, Charge him, kill him and carefully locate your next enemy. Use your pistol or SMG to weaken some enemies from a distance.

Upgrade and use Incendiary ammo, especially against krogan and vorcha. It will melt their armor and halt their regeneration. Also increase your class skill (forget the name) to boost your health and your Paragon/Renegade scores.

Wear armor that boosts shields and decrease the shield-recharge delay. Those are critical.
#3AigonrothPosted 2/9/2013 8:42:14 PM
The Build, skills listed in order they should be taken.

1) Charge > Heavy Charge (10)
2) Assault Mastery > Champion (10)
3) Incendiary Ammo > Inferno Ammo (10)

Those are the only three skills you really need (and technically you don't need Inferno Ammo it is just a very beneficial ammo power).

After that I personally max out my bonus power then Cryo Ammo.

so in my case this would be

4) Reave > Area Reave (10)
5) Cryo Ammo > Squad Cryo Ammo (10)

Shockwave gets my remaining point.

For your weapon the best Shotgun for a Vanguard is the Eviscerator, though that is not my favorite Shotgun for the class.

The Scimitar is another fine option if you don't have the Cerberus Network (the Scimitar is my favorite Shotgun with Vanguards).

You might want to look at getting the Scimitar as it has the largest clip capacity and reserve ammo of all the shotguns. (8 Shots per clip versus 5 for the next closest two)

Also what Biotic Power are we talking about missing, the only one you have that can miss is Shockwave, Charge and Pull both home in on your targets and Slam and Reave are instantaneous (Dunno if Stasis is or isn't I never use it and Dominate I have forgotten if it is, I have barely ever used it).

As for getting slaughtered while Charging, pick better targets is the most basic advice I can give.

An example: rather than Charging the first target you see who is usually in the middle of the battlefield in the open where you can easily be shot, try picking a target towards the rear of the pack who is preferably close to some cover.

Kill that enemy and take his spot.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944907-mass-effect-2/61379238

Also there is an old topic where I gave some Vanguard Tips.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#4AigonrothPosted 2/9/2013 9:02:21 PM
Double post but well this needs some more coverage.

You can Charge pairs of enemies just fine the idea there would simply to be target the guy you didn't Charge.

The guy you Charged has either been Staggered (barring YMIR Mechs) or been sent flying (any enemies at Health and 90% of enemies below Hardcore difficulty) he isn't going to be shooting you right of the bat.

His friend right next to him however can still shoot you, so kill him while the enemy you Charged is staggered, after he is dead kill the guy you Charged.

That right there is one of the keys to making a Vanguard playthrough go by insanely quick.

Also you don't need to weaken your foes from a distance, that is a waste of time, after you Charge an enemy you will be getting the Short Range Damage Bonus on your Shotgun (which means it will be dealing 2x Damage) very few enemies will still be standing after a few shots from your Shotgun at point blank range.

As for how to best use your Powers, Pull is useless to a Vanguard because it is buried under Shockwave, don't bother getting it.

Shockwave is really only worth using against Husks as they clump together enough for it to wipe out hordes of them.

Charge has been covered.

Equip your Shotgun with Incendiary Ammo, equip most of your weapons with Incendiary Ammo actually, it will not steer you wrong, though you might want to consider using Cryo Ammo on your Heavy Pistol.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#5Big D2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:06:12 PM
Ok, I'm doing a little better than before, but how do you use a vanguard against armored opponents like those damn Ymir mechs? If I even get close to those things, I get killed before I can reach cover.
#6Big D2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:07:03 PM
Sorry to double post, but is there also a way to to re-assign my rank points in this game?
#7LordTrinenPosted 2/11/2013 3:56:34 PM
Big D2 posted...
Sorry to double post, but is there also a way to to re-assign my rank points in this game?

After Horizon the research terminal should have an option to reset all your skill points in exchange for some element zero.

Completing Lair of the Shadow Broker unlocks this ability for your squadmates.
#8AigonrothPosted 2/11/2013 7:37:55 PM
Big D2 posted...
Ok, I'm doing a little better than before, but how do you use a vanguard against armored opponents like those damn Ymir mechs? If I even get close to those things, I get killed before I can reach cover.

Versus Krogan, Vorcha, Scions, Husks, Harbinger, Varren, Fenris & Loki Mechs, anyone besides Praetorians, YMIR Mechs, and Abominations I am forgetting with Armor, you still Charge them that is where Incendiary Ammo comes in handy as it bolsters your Shotgun's Armor Damage capabilities.

As for YMIR Mechs, you really shouldn't be Charging them right off the bat at the start of a fight they are the only Chargeable enemy in the game that doesn't stagger even from a Heavy Charge (Scions do stagger slightly), so this means that if they are shooting at you with the minigun the second you have finished Charging you are still getting shot.

That isn't good, the easiest way to deal with an YMIR Mech is Stasis, but if you don't have it or do not use then things get a little bit more complicated.

For starters do not Charge an YMIR mech when they have any of their Shield defense (the blue bar) as at that point that have far too much defense, wear them down from afar with your SMG and if you brought along Garrus/Miranda/Kasumi have them use Overload.

Once you get them to Armor you can start planning your Charge (NOTE: This doesn't mean Charge them as soon as they get to Armor that will usually still result in your death) This is the time to analyze the environment around the YMIR Mech while still wearing down their Armor.

Once they are between 1/4 and 1/2 of their Armor bar you should be able to Charge and kill them just fine.

If you still do not feel comfortable Charging YMIR mechs, then the best thing I can suggest for fighting them is to find a piece of cover at least taller than Shepard, and lure the YMIR Mech over to it and start circling around it shooting at the YMIR mech when it isn't shooting its Minigun.
---