So I loved playing through the mass effect series

#1AxelStrifePosted 3/21/2013 6:44:08 PM
My first playthrough I played vanguard and generally was a paragon(but sometimes characters just piss me off) And I really want to play through it again, possibly as Femshep and definitely as a differenct class.

But, I can't get myself to play through ME1 again. I loved the story and the characters the first time I played through it, but after playing 2 and 3 the gamplay just seems bad. And the story seems boring cause not only have a gone through it, but i've been retold it time and time again through ME 2 and 3.

I feel like I wont be able to enjoy a playthrough of 2 and 3 without using a savefile from me1.

tl;dr

I wanna play through mass effect 2 and 3 again, I don't wanna play me1 and I'm afraid they wont be fun w/o a save file from me1. Anybody else run into this situation?
---
Horrible game play, horrible characters, horrible story. Beautiful graphics though. No wait, that's FFXIII. ~Nasada19
#2Gaming_EsquirePosted 3/21/2013 7:00:06 PM
Consider getting that comic book style DLC that lets you make all the major choices from ME1. Problem solved.
---
From Dragon Warrior to Skyrim, by way of Final Fantasy and Mass Effect
#3AigonrothPosted 3/21/2013 7:25:49 PM
No I can still play ME1 just fine, but if you still have your original character why not just simply use that ME1 import file again, you can change your class and look at the start of ME2 (and again in ME3).

or you could always try and find a save on this website

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#4AxelStrife(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:49:46 PM
That DLC, is it free?
---
Horrible game play, horrible characters, horrible story. Beautiful graphics though. No wait, that's FFXIII. ~Nasada19
#5LordTrinenPosted 3/21/2013 7:57:09 PM(edited)
I agree that the gameplay of ME1 feels a little dull after playing ME2 and 3. For me this is made worse by the fact that I insist on using the mining laser glitch each time to guarantee that my character reaches level 60 during a single playthrough.

All I can say is try to tough it out. Try to think of the chance to play ME2 and 3 again as a reward for beating ME1. Perspective helps. Another thing you can do is find a list of the important stuff that transfers into the later games and only do the missions associated with them. That way you can skip the extra stuff and make the game go faster.

Don't use that Mass Effect Genesis comic. It may let you make some of the major ME1 decisions without playing the game but you miss out on so much of the small stuff. Playing ME2 without an ME1 save at all is even worse. The default decisions you are stuck with are just awful.

If you played a MaleShep for your first time go ahead and give a FemShep a try. I had fun my first time trying to spot all the subtle differences in your dialogue and interactions with different characters. It was also interesting seeing the different romance options. Just FYI, the best romances for a FemShep are the ones with Liara, Kaiden, Garrus or Samantha Traynor. These people are all on the Normandy at the end and offer the most fulfilling romances. Thane's romance is also good if you are a fan of tragic romances.

Have you decided what class to play next? If you played Vanguard your first time then Infiltrator can really give you a different experience. You go from up-close shotgun combat to extreme long-range sniper combat. Adepts are pure biotic awesomeness. Sentinels command a great mix of biotic and tech powers and are practically walking tanks in ME2 and 3.

Don't let ME1's gameplay deter you from enjoying the Mass Effect series to its fullest.

Edit: Genesis is free for PS3 gamers but I think it costs points for the Xbox 360.
#6smeech8000Posted 3/22/2013 5:12:23 AM(edited)
I second the recommendation to do a quick ME1 playthrough with a new character (Femshep). The second time around is much easier since you get access to the Spectre weapons immediately, experience bonus for beating the game once already will make it easier to get to 50+ with minimal time invested. I would strongly suggest that you do most of the sidequests that have a bearing on ME2 and ME3, however. There is a checklist of all the flagged events in the sticky.

LordTrinen: Stop killing yourself with the mining laser; it's not worth it to get to 60 - the import bonuses for a 60 import vs. a 50-59 import are minimal, especially considering you will get additional ME2 completion bonuses on top of those (that's where the real payday is).

I tend to get bogged down in all the RPG minutiae in this series (sniffing out minerals/salvage, making dialogue rounds on the Normandy in betwixt missions, etc.) where making a deal with my OCD tendencies to do a barebones run can be very liberating.
---
I don't feel tardy.
#7AigonrothPosted 3/22/2013 5:07:23 PM
AxelStrife posted...
That DLC, is it free?

The Genesis comic isn't free for 360 players, it was included with tthe PS3 Release but it costs 320 Microsoft points for 360 players.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#8pprincessPosted 3/23/2013 12:28:40 PM
Just as an alternative, why not just start a new FemShep file on ME 2 without the import? Importing just gives you level 3, a few resources and a little bit of money that buys a couple upgrades. Without the comic, you'd be missing Wrex, but if you haven't played getting Wreav why not just do that and you can then use the opportunity to do other story arcs on the genophage.
#9smeech8000Posted 3/24/2013 9:07:12 AM(edited)
^ Good point. I don't have *any* saves where Wrex was offed in ME. Just couldn't make myself do it.

There are other consequences, however, with a fresh ME2 start:

- No love interest
- Opposite gender (Kaiden/Ashley) will have died on Virmire
- Council & Destiny Ascension was sacrificed to attack Sovereign
- Udina is councillor
- Cannot be reinstated as a Spectre
- Killed Wrex on Virmire
- Killed Rachni Queen on Noveria
- Kirrahe Died on Virmire

Actually I think the Human councilor is chosen at the beginning of ME2 so it should be possible to pick Anderson for that role.

---
I don't feel tardy.
#10flyersfan87Posted 3/25/2013 1:35:53 AM
smeech8000 posted...

Actually I think the Human councilor is chosen at the beginning of ME2 so it should be possible to pick Anderson for that role.

Yeah. The reason is because the final save in ME1 imports occurs before you pick who to nominate as humanity's rep.