Is Female Renegade Shepard really that good in Mass Effect 1 and 2?

#1ColdOne666Posted 4/2/2013 11:05:04 PM
Ive only finished themn both with a Male Shepard and i heard someone saying she was cool

Does she have good one liners?
---
"Pitiful mortals. Your hope ends here...And your meaningless existence with it!"
Gamefaqs doesn't believe in freedom of speech
#2LordTrinenPosted 4/3/2013 7:19:31 AM
I think FemShep pulls off the Renegade attitude pretty well, more so than MaleShep. FemShep does get some good unique Renegade lines.

My favorite is when you start the Archangel mission by seeing the merc recruiter. He takes one look at Shepard and says "You're in the wrong place, princess. Strippers quarters are down the hall."

There is a Renegade Interrupt when the guy starts saying this. If taken Shepard pulls out her gun and says, "Show me yours, tough guy. I bet mine's bigger." This changes the merc's attitude.
#3VasDeferensPosted 4/6/2013 6:54:20 PM(edited)
FemShep is the only way I can get through a Renegade run of the games . I make MaleShep choose the same things I would in real life too much . But with FemShep, I don't care, I'll be the badass, nasty person all I want .

Want to kill Wrex on Virmire ? FemShep says " no problem " .
#4chill 02Posted 4/12/2013 6:43:15 AM
LordTrinen posted...
I think FemShep pulls off the Renegade attitude pretty well, more so than MaleShep. FemShep does get some good unique Renegade lines.

My favorite is when you start the Archangel mission by seeing the merc recruiter. He takes one look at Shepard and says "You're in the wrong place, princess. Strippers quarters are down the hall."

There is a Renegade Interrupt when the guy starts saying this. If taken Shepard pulls out her gun and says, "Show me yours, tough guy. I bet mine's bigger." This changes the merc's attitude.

I loved that part.
---
I should go.
#5CynicalZealotPosted 4/14/2013 11:18:57 PM
To me, maleShep delivers 80% of his lines in a dull monotone, and really only comes alive for the occasional dickish Renegade comment. Which I suppose can work if you, if you like the idea of Shepard being a phenomenally repressed or PTSD jarhead, or are sort of head-canon RPing Shepard as something of an autistic drone who can't understand human emotion (which kind of works interestingly well if you play as a biotic and just pick neutral options).

But femShep sounds like an actual human being, with actual human emotions. If you play her Paragon she actually sounds friendly and interested when talking to people, and when you give Renegade reactions she actually sounds pissed off or sarcastic. Her romance dialogue actually comes across like someone trying to be flirty or seductive and spark interest in a partner, as opposed to someone who is vaguely bored of the whole thing and just expects free nookie to be handed to them with no real foreplay (which is the vibe I get from maleShep most of the time).

In a weird way, maleShep sort of comes across like an attempt to be John Wayne in space, only blander. And it HAS to be a deliberate style choice, because Mark Meer shows WAY more emotion and personality in ME3 than the two previous games combined. But it's not a style choice I like, because it just makes him seem utterly dull and/or kind of dim-witted.

I can't see the dullard that maleShep is inspiring a damp sponge, let alone half the galaxy. FemShep seems like a much more emotive person, who could really get people to follow her into hell.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#6urielzetPosted 4/22/2013 10:08:43 PM
I agree, female Shepard is a hell of a lot better.

Aside from sounding kinder or nastier depending on Paragon and Renegade respectively, there are a lot more subtle nuances with even the most generic dialogue lines.

My personal favorite of hers is still how she says "Do it!" when you try to order your fifth drink in Dark Star on the Citadel. Makes me laugh every time.
#7StonedwolfedPosted 4/24/2013 6:58:50 AM
Could this have anything to do with the fact FemShep is voiced by Jennifer "Bastila Shan" Hale, one of the most prolific and sought-after voice actresses of her generation, and BroShep is voiced by Mark "ME is clearly the peak of my career" Meer?
---
KOTOR 3 not existing is the reason Mass Effect is the greatest space opera rpg trilogy.
#8smeech8000Posted 4/29/2013 5:30:31 AM
^ This has frequently been posited, however I feel Meer gets a lot of undeserved criticism for the series as a whole due to a lackluster ME2 showing.

His ME3 Renegade is vastly improved; although I will admit that I can barely stand the writing for his ME3 Paragon lines. They make him seem waaay too sissified.
---
I don't feel tardy.
#9CynicalZealotPosted 4/29/2013 9:53:45 PM
Just for reference, I said this earlier:

"because Mark Meer shows WAY more emotion and personality in ME3 than the two previous games combined"

Since posting that, I've played Jade Empire and Dragon Age again, and noticed the characters he voices in those games, and made mental note again of just how much BETTER his voice sounds in every game other than the one he was actually the star of.

I have no idea why he tanks so hard as Shepard, but he's clearly not a bad actor. He just did a bad acting job for ME1/ME2. Whether it be his own fault because he made a deliberate style choice, or the fault of the person who was giving him vocal direction in the recording studio.

He's a very good VA. A shame that doesn't really show in ME1/ME2.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#10RVallantPosted 5/8/2013 5:25:49 AM
He improves as he goes along in the trilogy imo which, is fine. Hale though does outclass him but that's only natural given her experience in such a role.