Getting ready to play again... A few DLC questions

#1jakeDiLLaPosted 4/19/2013 11:18:45 AM
Just finished Mass Effect 1 I never knew (or forgot) there was a way to make Saren shoot himself hehe. Even playing this series for a third time it still feels like a completely altered storyline. Just looking for some clarification regarding DLC.

-I know Overlord, Arrival and LoTSB make more sense after the main storyline is done, does it matter at all what order I play them in? Looking for what makes the most sense timeline wise.

-From what I remember Hammerhead was just like one of those missions where you fight a bunch of people but there is little to no dialogue.. Is that true? I'm only interested in doing stuff that adds to the story. Is there any reason to play it besides getting a few extra experience? (if it's needed for something, let me know)

-Does cheating on Liara at any point in the main game affect the outcome of LoTSB? Like if I cheat will I not be able to get a "romantic" cutscene at the end, or when I invited her to the Normandy?

-Would you recommend playing Normandy Crash again? From what I remember all it does is flashback to it when you find a part of it like the cockpit, armory, etc. Oh and an email... anything interesting besides that?

Not to sound like a giddy little school girl but I don't ever recall any other game I was this excited to play after a THIRD time in a row. Love this series =)

PS I was kinda disappointed I couldn't do that one mission in ME1 that you apparently need to be 80% renegade for. It was something to do with a character named Darius and there was a negotiation of some sort. Does that character return for me2 or 3?
#2grand_commanderPosted 4/19/2013 1:28:23 PM
I don't believe that the character from ME1's Renegade mission makes a re-appearance.

I would actually argue to do all of your DLC missions before the end. Arrival, in particular, doesn't make much sense to sit on when you're given the mission (you'll see: Hackett makes a big deal out of the mission when he first gives it to you). Lair of the Shadow Broker gives you nice stuff, which is obviously better to have early, but story-wise the only question is whether you think Shepard would take the time before his mission was over or not.

The Firewalker missions are just platforming in the Hammerhead, nothing else. Overlord, though, is a lot more interesting; definitely do it before Legion's loyalty mission for it to make the most sense. I do Normandy Crash Site every time for the experience and to pick up the helmet, but man is it boring.
#3GlavewurmPosted 4/19/2013 1:34:03 PM
LotSB can make sense post-Horizon, pre-Collector Ship. You don't actually have a lead, and the Shadow Broker was working with the Collectors.

Other than that, Arrival last. Overlord might make more sense pre-Suicide mission. I can't remember if the line mentioning TIM is still used after the paragon ending or not.

Hammerhead missions get you a Biotic upgrade, and I think it's required for the Cortez/Vega debate in 3. But just having the Hammerhead might be enough for that.

Just Pressly's journal.

Only reference to Darius is the Shepard VI in 2, but Bailey says the quote whether or not you did the mission.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ilv68.gif
#4LordTrinenPosted 4/19/2013 3:20:13 PM
-Overlord is better pre-Suicide Mission. I make it the last mission I play before the IFF mission so I'll be the highest level I can be. That last part with Shepard alone can be tricky otherwise. Then play LotSB and Arrival post-Suicide Mission.

-Hammerhead gives you extra experience, an extra biotic upgrade and some extra dialogue in ME3.

-If you cheat on Liara she will mention it when you invite her onto the Normandy at the end. I think you can still have a romance scene with her at this point. Her romance will still be available in ME3.

-I think the Normandy Crash Site is worth it for the nostalgia factor. But that's just me.

-Don't know about Darius. Only played Renegade once.
#5jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 6:02:41 AM
Cool, didn't remember the biotic upgrade from hammerhead, definitely will do it again.

But is LoTSB not heavily implicated as being post suicide? I'm saying forget about all the points, upgrades, etc and just focusing on story alone. So are arrival and overlord totallly standalone in that regard? I'll do arrival near the start since as mentioned, Hackett asks you to do it, but what about Overlord?
#6Reinez0001Posted 4/20/2013 7:18:34 AM
There isn't a particular order the missions need to be done from a design standpoint - so you're pretty much free to choose to do them in any order you see fit.

As for overlord it was made after the game came out - but I don't see anything in the storyline that would imply it came before or after the suicide mission.

As for LOSB it does make a great post-suicide story mission however it does have a few of perks you probably see if you wait that long to do it.

If you're just looking at pure story progression it probably makes the most sense to save Arrival for last.
#7LordTrinenPosted 4/20/2013 7:21:59 AM
There really isn't anything in the game that indicates when it's the best time to play the DLC, it is a personal judgment.

Overlord I think best fits the story pre-suicide mission, especially if you're playing Paragon. Either way the Illusive Man sends an e-mail to Shepard at the end. Shepard cuts ties with Cerberus after the suicide mission regardless of the outcome so I doubt he'd send an e-mail like that.

The purpose of LotSB is to bridge the gap between ME2 and ME3. Dialogue changes if it is pre or post-suicide mission. There is some stuff at the end foreshadowing certain things in ME3. I think they have more impact if you hear them post-suicide mission.

I don't think it makes sense at all for Arrival to be playing pre-suicide mission, storywise. I've always viewed the Collectors' actions as a Reaper backup plan. They're building a new Reaper to replace Sovereign, simultaneously eliminating their greatest opposition (humanity) and giving them a second shot at activating the Citadel trap. Only when that fails do they switch to their backup-backup plan, abandoning the Citadel trap and heading for the Alpha Relay.

Gameplay-wise I understand why it is playable pre-suicide mission. It's for those who want to play it but fail to survive the suicide mission. You don't want to punish/exclude them.

At the end of Arrival Shepard confronts a hologram of Harbinger, either in the form of the Collector General (pre-suicide mission) or as itself (post-suicide mission). The hologram of Harbinger itself has much more impact.
#8jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 8:21:39 AM
LordTrinen posted...
There really isn't anything in the game that indicates when it's the best time to play the DLC, it is a personal judgment.

Overlord I think best fits the story pre-suicide mission, especially if you're playing Paragon. Either way the Illusive Man sends an e-mail to Shepard at the end. Shepard cuts ties with Cerberus after the suicide mission regardless of the outcome so I doubt he'd send an e-mail like that.

The purpose of LotSB is to bridge the gap between ME2 and ME3. Dialogue changes if it is pre or post-suicide mission. There is some stuff at the end foreshadowing certain things in ME3. I think they have more impact if you hear them post-suicide mission.

I don't think it makes sense at all for Arrival to be playing pre-suicide mission, storywise. I've always viewed the Collectors' actions as a Reaper backup plan. They're building a new Reaper to replace Sovereign, simultaneously eliminating their greatest opposition (humanity) and giving them a second shot at activating the Citadel trap. Only when that fails do they switch to their backup-backup plan, abandoning the Citadel trap and heading for the Alpha Relay.

Gameplay-wise I understand why it is playable pre-suicide mission. It's for those who want to play it but fail to survive the suicide mission. You don't want to punish/exclude them.

At the end of Arrival Shepard confronts a hologram of Harbinger, either in the form of the Collector General (pre-suicide mission) or as itself (post-suicide mission). The hologram of Harbinger itself has much more impact.

This helps a great deal. I think I'll follow your advice on this...
#9GlavewurmPosted 4/20/2013 11:37:28 AM
Either way the Illusive Man sends an e-mail to Shepard at the end. Shepard cuts ties with Cerberus after the suicide mission regardless of the outcome so I doubt he'd send an e-mail like that.

There's also the line in the Paragon Overlord ending "TIM can fire me if he doesn't like it" or whatever.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ilv68.gif
#10jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 2:38:18 AM
God dammit I just did Horizon and now Hackett made me sit through his briefing when I tried to access my Private Terminal. "Send me the coordinates, I'll head there right away"

Still gonna do it after suicide mission though