Damn this game is frustrating....

#1tominator5Posted 8/1/2008 5:01:07 AM
.....but i like it....i think!

Pretty annoying when you fall from the top of the level right back down to the bottom!
How are you supposed to complete a garden without wasting any pollen!!!! - impossible
---
Attack me if you dare....I will crush you!
#2Gimli87Posted 8/1/2008 5:08:21 AM
Be more careful I'd say.
#3choasgodPosted 8/1/2008 6:43:14 AM
To aviod wasting pollen you need to aviod combo's ... and pick a level that has only a few seeds ...

Im only up to Garden 5 so far and id say stick to Garden 1 for that trophy... its proberly the easiest place to do it.
#4tominator5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2008 6:56:50 AM
its not a case of being careful when one of those spinners chops your bungie cord!!
---
Attack me if you dare....I will crush you!
#5BwaretheBiclopsPosted 8/1/2008 7:20:25 AM
Yes it is.

---
PSN: Totallybreakfast
#6teebonesyPosted 8/1/2008 6:29:54 PM
I WANT to like this game, but I'm finding it too effing frustrating. I love the mood and the visuals, I kind of hate the gameplay. It wouldn't be QUITE so bad if there weren't this annoying arcade-style time limit. It seems to be completely contrary to the entire tone of the game. It feels a bit like flOw, a trippy, surreal visual and auditory experience, where exploration and "going deeper" is the objective.

Only, they throw in a time limit where you have to collect time bonuses as if you're shovelling quarters into an arcade kiosk, and design the enemies to annoy you by knocking you back to the beginning, thus losing copious amounts of time...

RRRRRR....

Like I said. I WANT to like it, but I think it's one of those games that just isn't for me... Not sure if I'll be able to stick with it long enough to even beat the thing.
#7MaximusDMPosted 8/1/2008 6:59:35 PM
If there was no time limit the scores would be infinite seeing as you can't die in the game. Then there would need to be a life bar instead which would be stupid since enemies aren't really the big focus of the game. And later on, there are mines which hurt your time limit anyway similar to a life bar. There are plenty of crystals everywhere in the level and you are awarded them with a 5 combo or jumping on 2+ seeds in succession. When doing more difficult missions of 5 spectre then it is a matter of managing crystals and delaying spectre gets until when you need it most. The system works perfectly well.
---
"Winners don't use drugs."
Those arcade slogans lied to me. I have yet to win.
#8teebonesyPosted 8/1/2008 8:16:40 PM
I think you're missing my entire point. My point isn't that the game should remain exactly as is, sans time limit... my point is that the game is a fundamentally disjointed, misguided experience. The very LEAST they could do is to add an "exploration mode", or a "practice mode", where you can simply explore the levels to your heart's content without being kicked out halfway through something.

As you state, that wouldn't make for much of a game, especially for trophy-whores and high-score fanatics. But even considering that, you could still "time" the player's attempt, so the highest scores would take into account how fast the player accomplished their feats. Done and done, everyone's happy.

I think the real problem is that it's very loosely a game, designed almost as an afterthought on top of an esthetic engine. It's as if the designers decided, "let's do a game that looks like an animated Baiyon flower design!"
"Sounds cool. What will the game be like?"
"don't care. Build the flowers first, and we'll throw something on top of them."

Wait a second... That's exactly what HAPPENED.

Explains quite a bit now that the game is out.

*goes back to playing Pixeljunk Monsters*
#9MaximusDMPosted 8/1/2008 8:54:35 PM
But even considering that, you could still "time" the player's attempt, so the highest scores would take into account how fast the player accomplished their feats. Done and done, everyone's happy.

Yes, but this is one of those games where you are thrown into a level and expected to last as long as possible. Rewarding for time would be pointless unless they created a time trial mode.
And with that, score likely wouldn't matter, only time would be ranked.

A practice mode could work, especially, especially if they implemented a time trial mode. But as you said, it wouldn't be a game. What is a game without an objective.
---
"Winners don't use drugs."
Those arcade slogans lied to me. I have yet to win.