On a good day, Id give this a 5.5/10. Tops. The fact is, even if it was enjoyable for some, doesn't excuse these major problems:
- The game looks like it was textured in 2006 (at its best).
- The game has such horrid AI/scripting that I can pop CoD 2 in on 360 and its still more impressive.
- Aliens and other NPCs glitch/freeze in animations on a regular basis (launch problem)
- A checkpoint system that harkens back to early - mid 2000s at best.
- Partners can stand in your way and will cause you to get stuck in certain areas if they decide not to move (prompting a restart from the previous checkpoint)
- The story ends as sequel bait, meaning either one of two things: A) Gearbox expected to make a sequel (I hope they don't get a chance to) B) They expect people to buy DLC for a game that they (probably) won't be playing a week from now.
- There is never any fear of low ammo as you get every weapon in the game practically from the start. Even AVP 2010 did that better.
- No power loader segment
- The smart gun segment is pathetically short, which is upsetting, especially since your idiot AI teammate gets one almost the whole time.
- The voice acting is terribly phoned in
- The cast is cookie cutter at best (even Hicks seems half-assed much of the time)
- There is almost no suspense/fear in the campaign at all (much is to do with the ammo)
- Even basic Xenos are a real threat in MP, yet they pose little/no threat in SP even on Ultimate Badass difficulty.
- Doors don't open (still happens occasionally post patch).
- You fight humans more than half the time... in a game that's supposedly about ALIENS.
Fifteen problems, most of them are huge, and I could keep going all night and point out more.
If you want to be unbiased, the game is no more than a 5.5 at best. If it had come out in 2007, I might have said it was a 7, but it would have been somewhat dated even then. What happened to that magic we saw in the trailer? The trailer was no cookiecutter FPS like this, it actually looked like aliens, and just watching that was like being in an Alien film. This poorly scripted, uninspired mess is not okay in 2013. Maybe would have slid in 2009, but not today.
What's the matter? You can't stand the balls of a strong Nord woman?
I agree with the OP. The reviews are overly negative about this game.
Multiplayer is extremely fun. The alien AI is quite good at times. Just play the lurker sections. Blasting away with friends in Coop campaign is enjoyable. The levels look awesome at times. Sound effects are true to the movie. The story is paper thin but still interesting as far as expanding on the movie.
No it's not the best game out there, but no way in hell is this a 4/10 game.