The reviews/scores on this game are outright ridiculous.

#41MoganPosted 2/22/2013 11:41:29 PM
The lesson that few people learn is to not buy anything form this dev/pub at full price ever again.

No, the lesson is don't pre-order or buy anything until you've checked it out. Gearbox has done some really good games, so there's no reason to write them off, just always make sure you've got a pretty good idea what you're getting instead of running out to grab it on day one just because it says Aliens on the cover.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#42omanojyakuPosted 2/23/2013 3:40:49 PM
I would agree if the demo was a accurate representation of the full retail game.

Whether that is the case is up for debate.

If not, that is bait and switch. That is a tactic that should not be rewarded with revenue.
---
XBL:Amanojyaku BatttleTag:ViolateThis#(1752)
Ragequitters should be permabanned. Trolls so pathetic and stupid I had to break comm with: 1
#43MoganPosted 2/23/2013 10:25:18 PM
^Read reviews, watch gameplay videos, talk to people who've played it, play the demo if there is one, then decide if it sounds like something you'd like. Don't just auto pass on a game because you didn't like that last one that developer made, that's no better than dashing out to buy a game at launch only knowing its about Aliens.
---
#44teehee23Posted 2/24/2013 8:45:14 PM
We agree, this game is much fun (playing the 360 version) but also going to buy the pc version.
And that nice.
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...
#45PailheadPosted 2/25/2013 5:11:02 AM
Mogan posted...
^Read reviews, watch gameplay videos, talk to people who've played it, play the demo if there is one, then decide if it sounds like something you'd like. Don't just auto pass on a game because you didn't like that last one that developer made, that's no better than dashing out to buy a game at launch only knowing its about Aliens.

Yes, watch gameplay videos but I have to say, if I were to read reviews I'd still be playing Pong (maybe a slight exaggeration). I seem to like the games everybody hates.
---
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
#46MoganPosted 2/25/2013 6:01:56 AM
Yes, watch gameplay videos but I have to say, if I were to read reviews I'd still be playing Pong (maybe a slight exaggeration). I seem to like the games everybody hates.

Well, you don't read reviews for their scores or opinions, you read them for information about the game so you can make better decisions about what games sound fun to you.
---
#47GTAfan421Posted 3/2/2013 10:35:18 AM(edited)
Watching Gameplay Videos doesn't help to get the feel of the game. Especially if you see the wrong one. The E3 Demo from last year looks about a million times better than what we got, and many people bought it based on that. The research argument holds no water (particularly in the case of pre orders), especially since many trusted publications were hyping the living s*** out of this only to can it the day it hit shelves.

Reading reviews and watching gameplay doesn't always give a consumer the right idea in general. I've seen games that were utter garbage get 10/10 or 9/10 reviews on a consistent basis. I mean, there was even one review source that gave THIS 9/10, when it's clearly a 6 at its very best if you're generous.

Really folks, there is simply no reason to defend these sort of practices as if it were okay. Releasing unfinished, unpolished, buggy as hell games is not okay. Especially when it's happened before (with Duke Nukem Forever). I don't care if Gearbox wasn't the only company at fault here. Clearly, they were careless and let it go to s*** under their watch. Not to mention the rumors that they took money that was supposed to go towards this game and put it towards Borderlands 2.

They were in charge of releasing the game; its no one elses responsibility but theirs to put out a quality product, outsourced or not. There is not a valid excuse for this garbage.

I would not want anything to do with Gearbox after this fiasco if I were Sega (or any other company for that matter).
---
What's the matter? You can't stand the balls of a strong Nord woman?
#48MoganPosted 3/2/2013 10:17:07 PM
Releasing unfinished, unpolished, buggy as hell games is not okay.

Who said it was?

Regardless of what gets released or how though, what you buy is still your responsibility. I didn't dash out and buy Colonial Marines, because I went looking for information on it and didn't like what I found. I don't have any special powers, so I figure other gamers can do the same.

We'd all love it if developers and publishers never put out a half finished game, but we also have zero input on their decision to do so, and frankly ... there's nothing saying that they can't. Sega's going to do whatever it thinks is in its best interest, even if it's not in ours, so its up to us to pay attention to what we buy. I'd rather be able to just trust that every publisher will only release completely finished, polished, 100% working games ... but obviously things don't work that way.

The "research argument" isn't for justifying **** games, it's for gamers being as aware as possible of what they're buying before they buy it.
---
#49GTAfan421Posted 3/3/2013 7:21:13 PM(edited)
Mogan posted...
The "research argument" isn't for justifying **** games, it's for gamers being as aware as possible of what they're buying before they buy it.

The thing is, everyone who pre ordered under the impression that the game was the same game they saw from E3 last year was boned... greatly.

And that's exactly my point here.

I had seen that and pre ordered under the same impression that many others had... The impression that this would be the first FPS with a full length Marine campaign, suspenseful and immersive gameplay (at the least) with some awesome co op and multiplayer. Instead we got very dated graphics on consoles (okay vanilla graphics on PC), okay at best gameplay, garbage AI... and the list goes on.

The research was not helpful in the cases of the thousands and thousands of people who had pre ordered this game thinking it would be the FPS to play in 2013. In fact, looking it up actually made things worse (for the pre order people) by leading us in the completely wrong direction. For example, how many videos were out with in depth gameplay coverage of A:CM aside of the 2012 E3 gameplay demo prior to launch?

Very few (if any) with the kind of depth that that E3 Demo had featured.

And that's my point. Many of the people who actually bought this game never even had the chance to do any real research because there was nothing to research. And what there was never showed any signs that the game would be this bad.
---
What's the matter? You can't stand the balls of a strong Nord woman?
#50MoganPosted 3/3/2013 8:39:48 PM
The thing is, everyone who pre ordered under the impression that the game was the same game they saw from E3 last year was boned... greatly. ... Many of the people who actually bought this game never even had the chance to do any real research because there was nothing to research. And what there was never showed any signs that the game would be this bad.

That's a danger of pre-ordering, you don't really know what you're getting because all you've seen is marketing material specifically designed to make the game look as good as possible. If you pre-order a game, you're accepting the risk that it will be crap.

Like I said, it'd be great if we could rush out and buy any game on day one, knowing whatever impressions we got from its first trailer/demo/whatever were accurate and the game was whole and polished, but that isn't how the industry works and it's not a new phenomena. The only way gamers can control how publishers do business is to be careful what we buy, and I'll bet a lot of those folks who pre-ordered Colonial Marines wont be pre-ordering as many games from now on, and I'll bet they don't get burns as often or as badly either.
---