If Colonial Marines is disappointing, play classic AvP

#1DarkshowersPosted 2/13/2013 9:28:00 AM(edited)
I had high hopes for this game too especially playing through the campaign online co-op with my friends but all the negative reviews have put me off to maybe considering again it once it goes on sale.

Right now, I am having a blast playing through the first Alien vs Predator game by Rebellion going back to 1999. I would recommend to anyone who never got to play it to give it a chance. The marine campaign on the hardest difficulty is insanely difficult but still do-able. It's definitely much cheaper on Steam and more fun than this mediocre game.
#2GriffPosted 2/13/2013 9:40:40 AM
My favorite is still the Jaguar version, the tension and scares in that game were unrelenting.

I gotta say, if you're a fan of older games, and don't mind outdated graphic engines,
you really shouldn't write off Colonial Marines. The reviews threw me for a loop, and at first glance it's a turn off, but the game has somehow grown on me and I'm really enjoying it. When the price drops, give it a shot.
#3DredjPosted 2/13/2013 10:28:36 AM
AvP 1999 was the first game I consistently played online.

AvP 2010 was a great reboot but the online functions were so terrible I didn't stick with it for like more then a 2 weeks.
#4GundamMonXPosted 2/13/2013 4:15:53 PM
Dredj posted...
AvP 1999 was the first game I consistently played online.

AvP 2010 was a great reboot but the online functions were so terrible I didn't stick with it for like more then a 2 weeks.

If you can you should try AVP2 (2001). Playing all 3 species against each other on a LAN was a blast. Although the expansion (Primal Hunt) is terrible.
---
I respect your opinions, but only when they agree with mine--awesomephatman
#5PsyEdPosted 2/13/2013 4:30:15 PM
Griff posted...
My favorite is still the Jaguar version, the tension and scares in that game were unrelenting..

Amen. Back in the days I just bought the Jag just to bag aliens in it...plus to see what 64bit looked like lol....hope they emulate it someday....it was an awesome game...don't mind seeing a HD remake either.

I don't mind ACM but it's WAY too bland....and enemies are extremely boring than being scary....seriously a clever AI could've saved it but no that it isn't there either.
---
Psy3d on 360
PsyEd on PSN
#6MastadiPosted 2/13/2013 5:08:42 PM
Darkshowers posted...
Right now, I am having a blast playing through the first Alien vs Predator game by Rebellion going back to 1999. I would recommend to anyone who never got to play it to give it a chance. The marine campaign on the hardest difficulty is insanely difficult but still do-able. It's definitely much cheaper on Steam and more fun than this mediocre game.

Does the steam version work well on modern machines with Win 7? I fondly remember playing the game a lot back in school, but I don't think I ever actually owned a copy myself
---
I would use a nude male mod with equipable underwear just so I can enchant a pair of magical boxers. - Nexus_Nocturnal.
#7MegawizardPosted 2/13/2013 7:41:29 PM
I liked Sierra's AvP2 that they made; that was '01. The SP wasn't anything to write home about, but the MP's fun as long as ya don't end up in a game with a hacker.
---
^( ' ' )^
#8PrinceOfHotPosted 2/13/2013 7:52:00 PM
Yea but this game has slightly better graphics.

/thread fail
#9Darkshowers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 7:15:43 AM
Mastadi posted...
Darkshowers posted...

Does the steam version work well on modern machines with Win 7? I fondly remember playing the game a lot back in school, but I don't think I ever actually owned a copy myself

I have Windows 7 and it works fine on my computer. It should be fine because older games on Steam are reconfigured to run on new PCs.
#10SnadadosPosted 2/14/2013 10:36:55 AM
I don't want no P in my A.
Take you P and stick it somewhere else and leave my A alone.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?