Is it smoother on the P.C

#1frodo10Posted 2/13/2013 12:47:22 PM
I bought this for the Xbox because a few of my friends we're buying it, I know the game has some serious flaws, I'm just curious for anyone out there that has played both versions is there a great deal of a difference especially the multiplayer I've played some of the story and wasn't impressed at all. Thanks for your time.
---
peace on earth
#2chrono625Posted 2/13/2013 3:02:25 PM
PC version is an xbox port with some better (and I saw this very loosely) textures. It still plays and looks like complete ass.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7wjgorf - Super Bowl XLVI Champions - NY Giants
Eli Manning SB tracker: 2/2 Superbowls 2/2 SBMVP's
#3NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 2/13/2013 3:23:47 PM
Keyboard and Mouse pretty much automatically makes it play a lot more smoothly, making some things like the Spitter Alien like night and day between versions. I've had no screen tearing issues at all which is a problem on the console for whatever reason.
#4ShawBrothersPosted 2/13/2013 3:24:54 PM
As far as the framerate yes its a lot smoother and doesn't have the screen tearing either.
#5romsnbombsPosted 2/13/2013 4:42:18 PM(edited)
NoGaRdKniGht posted...
I've had no screen tearing issues at all which is a problem on the console for whatever reason.

"screen tearing" is when vsync in not enabled. It's not really a matter of putting some work into the game, it's just a matter of switching it on or off.

But since the xbox version probably cannot hold its frame rate very well, they've probably just disabled vsync completely. Or they've used smart flip interval vsync and it's running under 30 fps most of the time, therefore switching itself off so that it doesn't run at 15 fps.

Yup, looks like I was right. Not only have they disabled vsync on the xbox, they have a completely uncapped frame rate. Oh dear:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-colonial-marines-face-off
---
i5 2500k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 660Ti | CM 700W silent pro | CM Elite 340
#6sortajanPosted 2/13/2013 8:09:51 PM
it's pretty poorly optimized, especially around explosions and fire. there are many games with far better graphics that are far less demanding. but you can definitely get it to run smoothly on a dated PC.

in terms of mouse/keyboard support it's almost perfect though. but i'm annoyed by the way you have to use the bloody weapons inventory to switch your weapon hotkeys around, which is obviously something that would only be useful to gamepad users.
#7frodo10(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 9:35:07 AM
Thanks for the answers guys, I'm not going to buy it for the PC the games not even worth it.
---
peace on earth
#8NightDrifter05Posted 2/15/2013 12:59:02 PM
NoGaRdKniGht posted...
Keyboard and Mouse pretty much automatically makes it play a lot more smoothly, making some things like the Spitter Alien like night and day between versions. I've had no screen tearing issues at all which is a problem on the console for whatever reason.

My experience is different. Playing on PC with the controller seemed alot easier and a way smoother process. I kept having issues where the keyboard action's in game would stop responding and all I could do was pause the game and reload the check point.
#9IDS3Posted 2/15/2013 1:10:00 PM
The AvP for PC from a few years ago, is much better optimized than Colonial Marines. It's like... saddening honestly, here I am playing DmC with 60fps, Dead Space 3 with about 60 with VSync off, and I Aliens has trouble running at 25fps with my settings set to medium. The game doesn't look bad on it's own, but when compared to AvP that came out before it, this port is almost shameful.
#10romsnbombsPosted 2/16/2013 7:49:23 AM
IDS3 posted...
The AvP for PC from a few years ago, is much better optimized than Colonial Marines. It's like... saddening honestly, here I am playing DmC with 60fps, Dead Space 3 with about 60 with VSync off, and I Aliens has trouble running at 25fps with my settings set to medium. The game doesn't look bad on it's own, but when compared to AvP that came out before it, this port is almost shameful.

It sounds like there may be a problem your end, maybe drivers.

I mean the game runs at 120 fps + all day on my rig @ 19201080 on full details. AVP 2010 on DX11 mode maxed is actually quite hard to run, it'll run at 60 fps +, but nothing near what ACM will run at.
---
i5 2500k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 660Ti | CM 700W silent pro | CM Elite 340