I really like this game a lot. Never seen so much Nerd Rage over a game.

#1PrinceOfHotPosted 2/13/2013 3:50:37 PM
I mean, Aliens is actually kind of cheesy compared to Alien, but is a great sci fi hardcore epic. That said I think this game is exactly what I wanted, a game where it feels like you are shooting the aliens from the film. The mechanics aren't perfect, esp when the aliens get close, they seem to weak. Occasionally some of the in game assets look like they are from a much older game. Overall its really fun, and nothing can really live up to the expectations of Alien, or Aliens. That said this game has better special effects and sound design than Aliens.

Their is a feeling of a missed opportunity of true triple A quality, a few jarring in game cutscenes seem rushed, but overall, with a few patches and an online modding community obessed with perfecting the game. (HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURE PACK GEARBOX). That said I think this game is really cool, and has genuinely terrified me on a few occasions. The sound is EXCEPTIONAL and the Alien in game design is pretty damn cool!!

8/10

PS- The reviewers bandwagon of hate is confusing, gives me cognitive dissonance, like are we even playing the same game? Obviously we aren't going to feel like we are watching Aliens for the first time when we are kids when we play this game. That said the game perfectly captures the CORE action of the movie, even if it plays it a little too safe.
#2PrinceOfHot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 4:04:51 PM
Bumping to make sure I'm not alone on this one!
#3giocarePosted 2/13/2013 4:07:13 PM(edited)
Cant say I agree, but I liked DNF and thought it was treated unfairly. So to each their own.
What I find unacceptable was Gearbox's false advertising when they sent that gameplay demo to the press that had much better graphics and gameplay, all of which was absent from the release version.
#4Hard_BoiledPosted 2/13/2013 4:06:58 PM
I like it so far also. I give it about a 7.5/10. I'm happy with my purchase and the Ripley Pulse Rifle.
---
Jay stole my bike! - Kripp http://i.imgur.com/oSMgf.png - Hardboiled (100)
#5PsyEdPosted 2/13/2013 4:36:43 PM
I'm like the game too...but was annoying to see the "DEMO" is what not retail is. Console versions are horrible....thank god for higher framerates on PC...plus vysnc.

And personally I got spoiled by AvP 2010....way better xeno models and much better animation + sound. While in ACM xeno's look like some costumed suicide bomber is coming at you instead of a "alien".

Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion. ACM is not a bad game but in no way this means it's a good game either...IMHO.
---
Psy3d on 360
PsyEd on PSN
#6R_JackalPosted 2/13/2013 4:40:09 PM
In all honesty, this is probably one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've had in a while. I'm not nitpicking anything, I didn't get hyped, didn't follow anything. It's really not that bad a game. I'm not sure what people were expecting from it, but whatever it was, it was too much.
#7OrangeSchweesePosted 2/13/2013 5:11:00 PM
I didn't get it either, because I went into it blind.

Then I saw this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6832-A-LIE-ns-Colonial-Marines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo&feature=youtu.be
#8PrinceOfHot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 5:20:31 PM
giocare posted...
Cant say I agree, but I liked DNF and thought it was treated unfairly. So to each their own.
What I find unacceptable was Gearbox's false advertising when they sent that gameplay demo to the press that had much better graphics and gameplay, all of which was absent from the release version.

Honestly? I think they were in earlier in development and realized their MAIN demograph was on the 360, so they reformatted the game "dumbed it down" technically for the 360, and then ported it. Lets just be glad that they didn't develop it first for the Wii. If this had been Wii U and PC exclusive...just wow. That said the differences are middling and only if you look really closely. Runs great on my PC. My only big complaint is the explosions really look like N64 style explosions. You have to appreciate the sound design of this game, it really is exceptional.
#9PrinceOfHot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 5:22:40 PM
Also I used to talk to GB developer way back in 2007 on a different forum and the team at the time were certain that this was going to be THE Aliens game, but then something happened and they had to ditch the program, I think had something to do with focusing their finances on Borderlands.
#10krazy168Posted 2/13/2013 5:59:02 PM
Actually I was on the same page as you for most of the game TC.... But then I versed the final boss of the game and it ruined my entire experience.

The game is a quite decent multi-player experience, but the game seems to have more cinematic value than actual game-play.
---
I am a qualified game developer, designer, tester and critic. I achieved all this by simply making a gamefaqs account.