Aliens: Colonial Marines - Steam is giving refunds

#1deadslashPosted 2/20/2013 9:18:12 PM
Just FYI to anyone who got it from steam.

You can get a refund or at least a partial, you just have to keep asking.

I got a $19.99 credit (half) and I still have the game incase they ever patch in AI and add textures, so, win winish I guess.

Just be persistent. It took 4 tries and negotiation. (I asked for half back after 3 denials) probably stupid, I've heard other got there full cash back after multiple denials. Still I maintain it's worth $19.99, and said so in my 4 attempt.

I wouldn't lead with the $19.99 thing though, I can't help but wonder if I demanded it all if I could have gotten it. 5 tries, 4 no's and finally a yes.

GL, and spread the word.
#2dark trunksPosted 2/20/2013 9:39:57 PM
Ah, I won't be able to do this then. Well I couldn't anyway, since I bought it retail. But I got a refund on 007 Legends, and apparently you are actually entitled to a one time refund on Steam. They did what they did to you to me, as well. They refused a refund numerous times, and then they gave me my one time refund.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#3GuiltiestGearXXPosted 2/20/2013 10:03:41 PM
I will be pursuing this avenue. I played this game for 15 minutes and it felt like a Duke Nukem Forever mod. Absolutely atrocious. I'm done preordering after Dead Space 3 and this.
---
Tom Cruise on SFxT: http://i.imgur.com/Exs6R.gif
#4Phange 2Posted 2/21/2013 12:58:00 AM
Steam has a hidden policy of issuing a full refund once (sometimes more than once) if you play the game for less than 30 minutes and/or claim that the game simply isn't playable on your PC. Antichamber (a good game, btw) had completely screwed up graphics on my PC and I submitted for a refund and they gave it to me without much of a fuss.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#5SpazH3dPosted 2/21/2013 7:50:27 AM
Can you share how the negotiations went? Perhaps by sharing the emails/messages? :P
---
- My vision is augmented
#6julbull73Posted 2/21/2013 11:03:55 AM
It might be me, but even if a game is horrible I won't return it. I take that as the same as returning a bad movie, they gave what I paid for a movie or a game. I can't expect them to account for my personal taste.

This is why the whole mass effect 3 returns actually made me angry. I don't like the ending so I'm returning it!!! Booooo!

Yeah I didn't like the ending to a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it's returnable. It means I didn't like the ending.

Now unplayable games, I will return if my system meets the specs given and runs like crap.
#7Phange 2Posted 2/21/2013 11:49:19 AM
julbull73 posted...
It might be me, but even if a game is horrible I won't return it. I take that as the same as returning a bad movie, they gave what I paid for a movie or a game. I can't expect them to account for my personal taste.

This is why the whole mass effect 3 returns actually made me angry. I don't like the ending so I'm returning it!!! Booooo!

Yeah I didn't like the ending to a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it's returnable. It means I didn't like the ending.

Now unplayable games, I will return if my system meets the specs given and runs like crap.

I think a refund is totally applicable when you feel the game you have purchased was distinctly not the game that was advertised (just watch the E3 2011 A:CM demo and compare it to the game that was actually released)

If I paid $50 for Skyrim but got an Elder Scrolls-themed puzzle game, I'd want a refund.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#8julbull73Posted 2/21/2013 12:18:11 PM
Phange 2 posted...
julbull73 posted...

I think a refund is totally applicable when you feel the game you have purchased was distinctly not the game that was advertised (just watch the E3 2011 A:CM demo and compare it to the game that was actually released)

If I paid $50 for Skyrim but got an Elder Scrolls-themed puzzle game, I'd want a refund.

I agree the game was overhyped. But they gave you a FPS which was what they were selling.

You can make arguments that the marketing team should be the highest paid people on the team for A:CM. But it's hardly "false" advertisement.

Now, did they "cheat" in terms of demo/final game? Yes. Did they manipulate the screenshots and advertisement material? Yes.

But that's what advertising/marketing does. Or you think everyone has cereal, eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice and a glass of milk as a part of a "healthy morning breakfast"?.
#9Slyster1181Posted 2/21/2013 6:50:09 PM
The single player is pretty bad but the multi player I find pretty fun.
#10omanojyakuPosted 2/22/2013 11:19:56 PM
If the demo is an accurate representation of the game, I feel you should not get a refund.

Blizz-o-vision started doing this with Diablo 3. IMHO, the game was EXACTLY like the demo. There were tons of things awry and missing, but it was accurate.

Now this game might be another story. I cannot make a claim since I have played neither the demo nor the full versions.

The slope is slippery.

The good side is, if game companies are dumb enough to give refunds, they may be more akin to making sure their games are at least as advertised.
---
XBL:Amanojyaku BatttleTag:ViolateThis#(1752)
Ragequitters should be permabanned. Trolls so pathetic and stupid I had to break comm with: 1