Who is at fault, SEGA or Gearbox?

#1WuTang212Posted 4/8/2013 3:53:06 PM
With SEGA recently saying that the Demo they released that year was "misleading" of the final product. Do you guys think that SEGA or maybe Gearbox Softwares deserve the hate that Aliens Colonial Marines recieved from a lot of critics and gamers? Basically who is the blame for the final product?
Here is my opinion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vI4m14RZT4
---
YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/WuShogun212
#2mimycriPosted 4/9/2013 3:22:03 AM
Based on the rumors: Gearbox
Sega commissioned it and Gearbox delivered after huge delays and extra funding something..
It doesn't matter that the job's been outsourced to a 3rd party. The responsibility is at Gearbox. As far as I understand they've used the funding for A:CM to boost BL2 and when Sega's got agitated about the delays and requests for more cash, they've finally used the few last months of funding to make a 3rd party realize the game and probably to avoid blame (stealing then damage control)

Sega's sin is that it should have lowered the price as soon as they've looked at the product (no quality control, damage control)
#3iMpLuXPosted 4/9/2013 10:31:33 AM
Sega shouldn't have been so stubborn and said to Gearbox - "Look we know BL2 is more important to you. Take the next 5 months to release BL2. But once BL2 launches, we want your full undivided attention for Aliens and you have 9 months from then to release it' - rather than the 4 months Gearbox used for Aliens when they spent the first 5 on BL2.

Obviously Gearbox spent all the Aliens money back in '07-08 for BiA and BL1 and then needed to put out BL2 to get the money to finish up Aliens in 4 months. But Sega didn't want to budge and forced Gearbox to put out a product that really only had 4 months of development time.
---
AMD FX 8350 BE, MSi 990FXA-GD80, 2x MSi HD 7950 TF3 3GB, 4x 4GB KHX DDR3 1600, Corsair TX850W - H100i - F3 240GB - K60/M65-FPS, Logi G710+/G600-MMO, Antec DF-85
#4mimycriPosted 4/10/2013 7:24:45 AM
iMpLuX posted...
Sega shouldn't have been so stubborn and said to Gearbox - "Look we know BL2 is more important to you. Take the next 5 months to release BL2. But once BL2 launches, we want your full undivided attention for Aliens and you have 9 months from then to release it' - rather than the 4 months Gearbox used for Aliens when they spent the first 5 on BL2.

Obviously Gearbox spent all the Aliens money back in '07-08 for BiA and BL1 and then needed to put out BL2 to get the money to finish up Aliens in 4 months. But Sega didn't want to budge and forced Gearbox to put out a product that really only had 4 months of development time.

I don't think that Sega's been aware of the misuse of funds until too late. But they should have been more suspicious. Both sides are at fault, but I blame Gbox, 'cos the misuse of funds borders fraud.
#5iMpLuXPosted 4/10/2013 1:37:50 PM
^ I agree. The only saving grace I see for this whole situation is going to lie w/ the DLC. Part of the Season Pass is supposed to be Campaign DLC and that's where I think Gearbox can/will make up for this whole debacle.

The best part of Duke Nukem Forever was the 'Spy Who Cloned Me' DLC developed entirely by Gearbox and if the whole DNF game was like that, it wouldn't have been as critically panned.

So I'm hoping a fully developed by Gearbox 4-6 hour Campaign DLC will be able to save this whole mess for Gearbox. The base game can't be saved but Gearbox can definitely begin the healing process w/ 1-2 Campaign DLC buckled w/ 1-2 Multiplayer DLC.

Now all we can hope for is everyone comes back when the Season Pass DLC starts trickling in and Steam heavily discounts the game for everyone else on the fence over buying this game.
---
AMD FX 8350 BE, MSi 990FXA-GD80, 2x MSi HD 7950 TF3 3GB, 4x 4GB KHX DDR3 1600, Corsair TX850W - H100i - F3 240GB - K60/M65-FPS, Logi G710+/G600-MMO, Antec DF-85
#6PsyEdPosted 4/30/2013 8:20:12 PM
It's GEARBOX...nothing to do with SEGA.

I wish TimeGate just releases their PC only version someday. Gearbox is a hack dev....so obviously their version sucks....just like they screwed up DNF. The version TimeGate spent time making wasn't even running on ps3 and 360 had trouble keeping a good framerate with all those assets.

It was going to be the alien game....thanks to randy and his a-hole company the game is broken and almost dead online as no one cares.
---
i7 3770k | GTX 690 | 32GB DDR3 | 512GB Samsung SSD Pro | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | NZXT 820 Phantom Case
#7lYMICrazylPosted 5/1/2013 12:13:10 PM(edited)
Gearbox. They took the money and did not care about the games or the fans and intentionally misled them about how great it was. Tossed the game to another dev for prob less money and then it became a mess. Since gearbox made decent games Sega probably put too much trust in them. Beth also let Obsidian make New Vegas but it turned out pretty well. Overall this just shows not to trust Gearbox with anything. Personally I will not buy any of their games anymore and I did not even touch this game. Disgusting how they acted.
---
*Straps on some lollerskates*
#8Red_JesterPosted 5/9/2013 7:28:15 PM
How do you guys feel about TimeGate getting so much of the flak over this? I think it's pretty pathetic, really. They blame the guys hired to do what they're told towards the end of this games development over the developer that has been "working" on a game for SIX YEARS with next to nothing to show for it.

Now that small developer is getting harassed by who I can only imagine are people who really like Borderlands for whatever strange reason and consider Gearbox some AAA developer.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.
#9GarudinPosted 5/20/2013 12:27:06 PM
Red_Jester posted...
How do you guys feel about TimeGate getting so much of the flak over this? I think it's pretty pathetic, really. They blame the guys hired to do what they're told towards the end of this games development over the developer that has been "working" on a game for SIX YEARS with next to nothing to show for it.

Now that small developer is getting harassed by who I can only imagine are people who really like Borderlands for whatever strange reason and consider Gearbox some AAA developer.

It's stupid to blame TimeGate in my opinion

With them it sounds like lots of stuff wasn't communicated, if the rumors are to be believed TimeGate built the foundation of the game but had a different vision of the game then Gearbox and when Gearbox saw what they were doing took it back and had to pretty much redo a lot of their work to make it fit the game they wanted

Which would have never happened had they made sure TimeGate knew what they were getting paid for or better yet had one of their own team sit in with TimeGate to keep and eye and hand in it

This is all of course is all based on rumors so take it with a grain of salt but rumors are all we really have

I really believe 60% of the blame goes to Gearbox as it really seems like they pushed this off completely to work on BL2(which still isn't as good as 1 IMHO) while hoping another developer they pushed this onto would do their work.

The rest of the blame goes to SEGA as while they weren't involved in the development it was their product and they should have kept a better eye on it, not to mention the fact that instead of taking Gearbox to court(which rumor has it they threatened to do) they allowed the game to go to retail in the shape it was in fooling fans and hoping to grab as much cash as possible as fast as possible
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea GT: Garudin
#10some09guy IIPosted 5/28/2013 1:29:55 PM
I don't think Sega is to blame for releasing the game in its current status. Gearbox, from all accounts, just kept pushing the game back over and over. You can't keep letting a developer do that. Hell, Sega gave them something like nine months on their final delay, and how did Gearbox spend it? Polishing off Borderlands 2 for six months, then rushing out A:CM when it became obvious Sega wasn't allowing for another delay. That's ridiculous.

What Sega is to blame for is not keeping the game cancelled. Gearbox originally was given the game, what? Six, seven years ago? After the first year they had nothing, zero, zip, to show for it and Sega cancelled it. Then some restructuring happened and the game was greenlit again, however due to budget reasons they ended up having to choose to go ahead with an Alien RPG headed by Obsidian (which had notable work done) and A:CM (which had next to no work done, still). Inexplicably, they went with A:CM. Enormously obvious mistake.