decompiled FEZ.exe and found a heart room secret

#1penultimatefirePosted 5/3/2013 4:02:27 AM
hey, is this new? I found a way to destroy the heart in the heart room!

so I used JetBrains dotPeek to decompile FEZ.exe.

then I searched for "Heart" and found several interesting references to a "Temple of Love" and pieces of heart in the *menu*.

it turns out that if

1) you've got all three hearts, and
2) you stand in the "temple of love," or the heart room behind the 64 cube door, and
3) you open up the menu and look at your artifacts, and
4) look at the letters artifact and enter

LT RT RT LT RT LT LT LT

5) then look at the numbers artifact and enter

RT RT RT LT RT RT LT T

6) then the heart will disintegrate, and the game will faux-reboot!

I captured a video of it happening here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUsGjZTSC-M

as far as I can tell, gomez just wakes up in his bed and everything else is normal. there's no post-reboot ending.

the code saves the fact that you did the "heart reboot," but doesn't seem to do anything with it, as far as I can tell.

can we work backwards from these artifact codes? they must be embedded on the artifacts somehow. and where does that leave us with the alien head artifact, if anywhere?
#2gcmusic12Posted 5/3/2013 6:13:13 AM
No way...Gonna do this when I get home and start looking through the game again. This in an awesome find! Let the hunt for answers begin!
#3gcmusic12Posted 5/3/2013 6:14:46 AM
Anything back in the Heart Room once the game restarts again? Or try actually ending the game again and see if those cubelets from the heart come into play when the cube rebuilds?
#4AbsoluteStevePosted 5/3/2013 6:46:23 AM
Wow, quite a finding. What's the last input command? You only wrote 'T'. Is it LT or RT?
---
www.facebook.com/absolutesteve
#5AbsoluteStevePosted 5/3/2013 6:55:05 AM
I think this also confirms that the heart in one of the spectrogram images refers to the heart room. That, in turn, is in line with the fact that the Black Monolith puzzle has nothing to do with the spectrogram puzzle. In fact, larger portions of the (or perhaps the entire) spectrogram puzzle might give the solution mentioned here.
---
#6adampeltzPosted 5/3/2013 9:07:45 AM
I am just floored by this. Finally, we get some progress after nearly a year of being stumped... It's like the entire FEZ community is playing the endgame together.

Maybe this was what they intended? Do you think they ever even intended for players to solve these puzzles without brute force?

Nice job TC... you got me sucked back into this game.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#7gcmusic12Posted 5/3/2013 9:09:47 AM
Yea its great to have some definite progress finally. There's definitely a sense of camaraderie among everyone still playing the endgame, which I do think is part of the point. The monolith puzzle in particular, my friends and I think, is supposed to be solved by looking outside the game and brute-forcing it. "The Space outside of Space." Really beautiful when ya think about it.
#8adampeltzPosted 5/3/2013 9:30:21 AM
Does anyone think those pieces of the heart actually go somewhere?

I also just realized this may be a hardcore Zelda reference:

Searching for pieces of hearts =yet another Zelda reference
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#9AbsoluteStevePosted 5/3/2013 9:39:05 AM
Of course, it *could* also be that it was intentionally made easy to find this when de-compiling the game, "breaking the hearts of the developers". Who knows - just speculation at this point.
---
#10TheinePosted 5/3/2013 9:43:10 AM
I have also decompiled the exe, and it seems to me like the heart pieces (and all the cubes in general) are stored in the level files rather than the code. Because of this, it's hard to say whether the broken heart pieces are re-hidden. It's exciting though, reminds me of the secret stars in Braid.
More topics from this board...
The sound effects in FEZ?XDummyX17/12 1:13PM