FEZ II cancelled on the account of gamers being morons

#1MeatballsoupPosted 7/30/2013 8:06:57 AM
This is why we can't have nice things.
#2ferdk16Posted 7/30/2013 9:13:05 AM
To be slightly fair, Phil just wasn't prepared to deal with it. On the other hand, I agree it's not an excuse for people to be idiots, but unfortunately the world doesn't work the way it should. Idiots exist, they are loud. And we can't do anything about them. It is sad.

That being said, I never understood the appeal of a sequel to Fez. To me Fez is awesome but it's a self contained experience, I'd rather have him work on a new game, even if thematically similar, but not a straight sequel.

The only hope we have is that he continues being the little child that he is and actually comes back after he cools down. I'd like to have more of him in the form of games, he did good with FEZ. I don't care if he's an ass. I want good games.
---
Latest Video: Bike Chase (Chrono Trigger) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykuONB4U0BU
#3RHFPosted 7/30/2013 3:41:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rK6RfrYl.png

Yes, gamers' attacks on him were simply unjustified
---
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*
#4john_freeman69Posted 7/30/2013 4:34:42 PM
Meatballsoup posted...

Theres two ways you can handle people on the internet.

One, you reply to them so they can reply back and say even more hurtful things.

Two, you press the X button and ignore it.

One works, the other doesn't.

Also, Phil Fish sucks.
#5ferdk16Posted 7/30/2013 4:52:50 PM(edited)
RHF posted...
http://i.imgur.com/rK6RfrYl.png

Yes, gamers' attacks on him were simply unjustified

Of all of those I know only one and it's already a false quote. The japanese games comment was made when asked about his OPINION on the RECENT games coming out of Japan. NOT on Japan as a whole, nor their whole game catalogue. He never denied he's inspired by old japanese games, that doesn't mean he can't speak his mind on the new ones which have nothing to do with FEZ. But maybe you heard it from a blog or something?

This stupid internet behavior of demanding political correctness of public figures while insulting them and their mothers is so hypocritical I don't know whether to facepalm or laugh at it.

I like how you imply Phil being an ass is justification for people to be an ass back at him, while most of the things he said on that picture are responses to others being asses at him, so by your logic he should be justified, right?

Phil is an ass. The people b****ing at him are, too. Gamers in general tend to be asses. We don't represent gamers guys, you probably would agree 12 year olds in Xbox Live and the haters sending death-threats to developers online are not good examples for society, yet when people use the word "gamers" to describe them, you feel the need to defend that flag. You're doing it wrong. If you want to prove gamers are not this hateful mob of idiots, then don't be one. If we want to take hold of the "gamer" title and want it to mean something positive, the first thing we need to do is admit the things that are bad within the gaming community. And even better, do something about it. Trolling a game developer who got more exposure than he could handle is not the right way to do it.
---
#6ferdk16Posted 7/30/2013 4:56:04 PM
john_freeman69 posted...
Meatballsoup posted...

Theres two ways you can handle people on the internet.

One, you reply to them so they can reply back and say even more hurtful things.

Two, you press the X button and ignore it.

One works, the other doesn't.

Also, Phil Fish sucks.

Agreed. He was an idiot for falling for those obvious trolls like that AnnoyedGamer guy.

And Phil Fish kind of sucks, yeah. FEZ is awesome, though. Wouldn't mind getting more games from him, I don't need him to be a well spoken person to enjoy his games. Who knows how many a******s we've been feeding for years by buying their products.
---
#7john_freeman69Posted 7/30/2013 5:02:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwvx4U7QZAE
#8RHFPosted 7/30/2013 5:56:50 PM
ferdk16 posted...
Snip

Yes, I know he means games of recent memory from Japan, but even so, there's plenty to pick from this (PS3, 360, Wii) gen that are good to excellent. While there are the crappers, I still think it was rather arrogant of him to say that with a straight face, to a Japanese person, who wants to be a developer, no less. He could've said, "Of recent memory, I haven't found many games from Japan too appealing to me", it's to the point without sounding rude. Instead he just simply says, "Nope your games suck"

I don't know what some of those people said to Phil that made him counteract to them on Twitter, since I don't care much for Twitter, and sadly no one has any archived messages of those comments from others other then Phil's responses. Still I'm pretty sure no big name person should ever go around telling people to go eat dick, or kill themselves over criticism, even if it's from, to them, a nobody.

It's his arrogance that got the better of him though, for releasing that one game, that got praises abound, he feels he's the hottest thing since slice bread and people should be kissing the ground he walks, at least that's what I'm getting at from his twitter behavior and other stuff. Then whenever someone just says something he doesn't like to hear he goes on a temper tantrum and tells you to go **** yourself (like with the guy from Annoyed gamer).

Nothing against him as a developer or anything, but his personality leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. I think gaming will be fine without him.
---
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*
#9john_freeman69Posted 7/30/2013 6:25:33 PM
RHF posted...

I don't know what some of those people said to Phil that made him counteract to them on Twitter, since I don't care much for Twitter, and sadly no one has any archived messages of those comments from others other then Phil's responses.

Many of them sound fairly reasonable, given what they had to put up with from phil. Some are mean, but about what you'd expect from being provoked from a guy like him. If thats what Phil had to put up with daily he needs a reality check. Its not so bad.
#10ferdk16Posted 7/30/2013 6:45:38 PM
RHF posted...

Nothing against him as a developer or anything, but his personality leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. I think gaming will be fine without him.

I agree his personality leaves a lot to be desired, but I do not agree gaming will be fine without him. Or rather, sure it will be fine, but we're not "winning" anything here, we're losing. What I don't really get is why people can't separate the art from the artist. Because if you think about it, with how many game devs and companies there are outthere, we're bound to have fed countless dicks that who knows what they did with our money, but it doesn't matter. So what people are condemning here is not what Phil is as a person, what they condem is that he is honest about it. It doesn't matter if devs are ass-hats, it matters if they don't fake it for press, like Phil. That to me is ridiculous.

I think everyone is entitled to criticize him as a person, but boycotting his game, or saying his game sucks or isn't up to expectations because of his attitude is totally ridiculous. His game is what the game is, not what HE is. Beethoven is no less of a genius musician if we found out he was a total ass, racist, or who knows whatever else (not saying he is, making a stupid example). His music would still be as great as it is.

And in the end, I feel all this hate he received it's not about whether he deserved it or not, it's about he was one guy, a weak guy "we can take down". That to me is what was going on. People found out he is weak, because he can't shut his stupid mouth. And people thought they could bring him down, and people love that. They want to beat the fat kid at school, that's what they do, especially the stupid masses. He did nothing but fuel that, so obviously he had it coming. He thought he could play the game and turns out he didn't. His quitting over this is completely childish, especially if the last drop was this AnnoyedGamer dude. I saw his bit about the "Blowfish", as he put it. If I was any of the aforementioned guys (Blow or Fish), I wouldn't have been offended, I would've laughed at how obvious of a troll attempt that was. But Phil is so stupid he fell for it XD

Anyway, I'm not defending Phil as a person. I think him as a developer could've been a great asset to the indie scene. And I say his game stands for its own, it doesn't need to stand for his creator's person.
---