This board may be dead

#1jannedaarc1Posted 6/28/2013 9:14:04 AM
But I wanted to show up and share (in an otherwise pointless topic) that I still think it is one of the most flawless games ever made. While B2 is usually overshadowed by its predecessor, I maintain it is because B1 enjoyed the incredible (and deserved) wow-factor. That was not really possible with B2 as Rapture was by that time a known commodity. But what it DID do was WAY improve the gameplay and, for me, offered a much more compelling story and significantly more layered combat experience.
#2HeadMasterNinjaPosted 6/28/2013 10:55:44 PM
I agree on the improved gameplay. The plasmids were much more balanced this time around and there were benefits to being more versatile. In BS1 I practically killed everything just using the shotgun and its electric bucks. BS2 gave you several different battle strategies, and actually has a reason to use traps. At first I didn't like doing gathers since the last leg of BS1 was so annoying, but those quickly grew on me.
#3BB52700Posted 6/30/2013 3:07:53 PM
HeadMasterNinja posted...
I agree on the improved gameplay. The plasmids were much more balanced this time around and there were benefits to being more versatile. In BS1 I practically killed everything just using the shotgun and its electric bucks. BS2 gave you several different battle strategies, and actually has a reason to use traps. At first I didn't like doing gathers since the last leg of BS1 was so annoying, but those quickly grew on me.

agreed. In B1, I had little reason to use anything other than electric shock followed up with a wrench blow or two. Story-wise, it lacks the big twist of B1, but the story is still excellent. It doesn't deserve any of the hate it gets
---
I do the best Chewbacca impression EVER!
#4jannedaarc1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 9:55:00 AM
So my choice of poison for B2 if I want to just pwn is Insect Swarm + whatever gun. Preferably Shotty or Harpoon gun (I ADORE both the bowgun and harpoon gun...just so fun to see people ripped out of their shoes, sailing across the land, to be impaled on a wall. I may be sick, but at least I've got style).

In subsequent playthroughs - I think I've done like 6 in B2 and maybe 4 in B1 - I forced myself to use other plasmids. Yes - "force" - b/c I like pounding the hell out of bad guys thoroughly. I found that all the plasmids, if used well, can really result in wonderful domination. The one that I have not used a lot is Decoy. I'm going to replay this in the near future and that'll be my primary plasmid.

I understand for balance, etc they needed to withhold a lot of the plasmids until later in the game but I wish there were cheats or something b/c I love some of the final abilities like Telekensis when you can just pick up a dude. Awesome.

Finally, I have to admit that I too was VERY concerned about gathering in this game. I found that section of B1 to be pretty tough on the hardest setting. Not at all unreasonable - just tough. In B2 they did it in such a way and gave you SO many fun different items and therefore strategies that it is frankly my favorite thing in the game. I love, LOVE trying to set up a flawless defense to see if I can refrain from firing any shots. I'll use plasmids but try to eliminate the gun for a challenge sometimes.

Thanks for the comments!
#5jetjetjaguarPosted 7/2/2013 12:14:56 PM
For me it's improved solo play and fun multiplayer that makes B2 so wonderful. I even went back and replayed B1 to make sure that my love of B2 was genuine. B1 still had a great story. Infinite just didn't do it for me but I plan to revisit it later.
#6BB52700Posted 7/2/2013 5:30:30 PM
TC, have you played the Minerva's Den DLC? I found it to be just as amazing, if not more so, than Bioshock 2 itself
---
I do the best Chewbacca impression EVER!
#7jannedaarc1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 1:31:10 PM
To the last two posters:
- I feel EXACTLY THE SAME re: B1 and BI. B1 was very, very good and really built Rapture. I owe it so much for that. B2 just made it deeper and more real for me. BI...hm...I just didnt love the environment or the culture. Underwater with Art Nouveau and an Ann Rynd backdrop? Holy. God. I...did they make this game JUST for me? While they nailed BI world, feel, etc, it just isnt what I prefer.
- Yes - I've played Minerva's Den and I so, so agree with you. It was like...they were being visited by the god of video games when they wrote that. See - I used to be such a self-righteous dude saying "I'll never spend MY money on DLC! Harumph!" But then I just got so fanboyed out on B2 that I had to have more, no matter the cost. I tried this whole "Minerva's Den" thing out and...I've never hesitated to buy reasonably good sounding DLC again. I credit MD for taking B2 from a 10 to...I know it's impossible, but an 11 lodging it firmly in my top three games of all time sharing a close place to Final Fantasy VII. No mean feat for me.

Speaking of all this DLC and such - I know that it would be more likely that they'd make a Bioshock 3 than they'd make more DLC for this game but oh my god do I ever wish they would. Maybe an extra plasmid or, dare I say it? Another huge level like MD? I know it will literally never, ever happen but I can wish.

I think I'm going to fold. I've played this game SO much dammit but I think I'm going to have to play it again. Not that this is a bad thing but I also dont want to overplay it.
#8jannedaarc1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2013 8:11:45 AM
Bonus Post!

So I fired this up last night an got through oh...2/5 of Pauper's Drop. Just going to post a few things b/c...why not I guess:
1. I am really, REALLY impressed by how big both B1 and B2 are. Especially the latter. It makes Rapture feel more believable. And the game designers did a really great job making sure you did not feel that you could explore the whole place. This is important ans nothing gives away the size of a place faster than beign able to explore everything. One of the few criticisms I have of Midgar in FFVII, they made it so you could explore a LOT of it and that revealed it to be ridiculously small. Yes, imagination and all that, but there are better ways to do that.
2. This game is way, way hard at first. I did indeed get the achievement where you turn off the Vita Chambers and I did it on Hard. But that did not mean I did not die a lot. I always feel that until you are halfway through Siren Alley, the game is very hard as I simply do not have the firepower or ammo to really succeed. Those damn Gathers you have to do in Pauper's Drop are so, so exposed and they throw quite a few enemies at you. They arent particularly tough but when you have limited ammo, are in a huge room with tons of areas of ingress/egress and ALMOST no trap laying abilities...you're in for a battle.

God, what a game.