~Persona 4 Board FAQ~ {Please read this before posting}

#1ShinaroujiPosted 2/13/2009 10:13:09 PMmessage detail
NOTE:

THIS FAQ WILL CONTAIN MILD SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This has all been taken from the FAQ topic made by penguin_knight,

Please do not post until I have finished. I'll say when. Thanks!

Q: Is Persona 4 out yet?

A: Of course. The Japanese version was released on July 10, 2008, and can be found at all major Japanese video game retailers. The English version was published by Atlus U.S.A. on December 9, 2008.

Q: What console is the game available on?

A: Sony PlayStation 2.

Q: How long is the play time?

A: Estimates are around 90-120 hours.

Q: Do I need to play the previous Persona games to understand this game?

A: No, you don't. There are minimal side conversation that may involve Persona 3, but they can be totally ignored.

Q: Is the main character silent?

A: Yes, but he's a bit more lively than the main character from Persona 3.

Q: How many endings are there?

A: Technically three. Bad ending: the killer was not caught; normal ending: the killer was caught but the true boss was not identified; true good ending: the killer was caught, and the true boss was identified and defeated. For spoiler, check here.

Q: Do I need to maximize all social links in one run?

A: Not anymore. Though at maxing 50% and 100%, you'll get a weapon and an armor from Margaret.

Q: What do I carry over to the 2nd cycle?

A:
Can be carried over:
Status of MC (The five main parameters only)
Persona compendium (You can summon the persona even your level is lower than the persona's)
Items from maxed social links
Money (Sell unwanted items and equipment before the first round clearing)
Discount item from Margaret
Number of persona in inventory will be 12 at the beginning
Play time

Cannot be carried over:
Battle status of MC: LV, Max HP, Max SP
Items
Materials for equipment forging
Equipment
Analysis data of shadows
Persona from end game
Margaret's gift for finishing 50% and 100% of the social links

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET.
---
You keep me Spinnin' Around!All I Can Do not to think about you!I'll Shoot The Moon!You are Forever In My Heart! Do Ya love me,I like to think so!I <3 Jump5!
#2Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:17:04 PMmessage detail
Differences compared to Persona 3

Q: Is it still a huge dungeon?

A: No, now there are multiple dungeons, but all connected through a plaza.

Q: Are the social links difficult to max?

A: In P4, they are much easier. First, now only two of the links will reverse/broken, and this can only be caused by bad conversation. Which means now you can wait as long as you like between meetings without worrying the link will go angry on you. Second, lover relationships are easier to max; dating on Sunday is no longer a crucial part, and the gift system is also canceled.

Q: Anything changed in the velvet room?

A: It is now inside a limo. Igor is still there, but the assistant is changed from Liz to Margaret. A new function call Fusion Forecast is also added: on a certain day, bonus such as stat boosts or extra skills will be granted if your fusion fulfills the requirement.

Q: Do members come and go without any sign like P3?

A: No, now in P4, once they have joined, they will always be in and ready.

Q: Can I grind like I did in P3?

A: A bit harder at the beginning. A major change in the dungeon system is that now your SP no longer recover upon returning to the main hall. In the beginning it's a bit prohibitory if you want to grind. Later in the game, however, such limitation will not be as bad.

Q: Where can I get the part-time jobs?

A: Check the billboard next to Aiya. It's on the north side of the shopping district.

Q: Where can I buy the soda that recovers 10 SP?

A: In front of the store 64. Check the vending machine. You can get at most 5 cans a week. Come check next Monday if they are sold out.

Q: Do the dungeons differ according to the weather?

A: No. The dungeons actually look the same. However, if you visit the dungeon on a rainy day, there will be secret enemies in random encounters. They come with very good ingredients for equipment forging.

Q: Where do I get new equipment?

A: The common way is to sell the ingredients you obtained from the defeated monster to the guy at Daidara. He will forge them into different weapons/armors/accessories and put them on sale. There is no quota of buying; once unlocked, the equipment will not be sold out.

Q: How can I refill SP?

A: At the beginning you'd have to rely on the soda you got from store 64 and the SP recovery items you got from the chests.

Later, it'd be much better: (i) a SP recovery service will be introduced along the way; (ii) once a second dungeon is introduce, you can enter another dungeon, and come back to the second one in order to re-render the treasure chests. For instance, you can empty all the chests in the Castle, then go enter the second dungeon, leave and re-enter the Castle. This will cause all the chests in the Castle to be filled up and distributed again. The drawback is that you'd lose all the map data, but that doesn't matter; (iii) Obtain persona or item that allow you to steal/recover SP.

Bit confused on resetting dungeon chests.

If you leave a dungeon, go back to main room, then go back to dungeon the chests are still opened and the map is cleared?

No, not the main room (main room being where the save point and velvet room are). You'll have to exit dungeon #1, and get into dungeon #2, leave, and the re-enter dungeon #1. If you do that, the chests will be re-allocated and all the map data will be cleared, random floor will also be re-generated as if you have never got in before. This would allow treasure chest harvest.

This is why the beginning is so difficult because we cannot use this trick as there is no dungeon #2 available.
---
You keep me Spinnin' Around!All I Can Do not to think about you!I'll Shoot The Moon!You are Forever In My Heart! Do Ya love me,I like to think so!I <3 Jump5!
#3Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:18:56 PMmessage detail
Social links

Q: Where and when is a certain social link available?

A: See http://persona4.wikidot.com/slink

Q: I would like to see the whole year schedule, where can I find it?

A: See http://persona4.wikidot.com/schedule

Q: Can you have multiple girl friends?

A: Yes, you may. The only consequence is that during some Sunday dates, the other girl friend may show up and rip your social link points. This negative effect is negligible because Sunday dates are no longer an essential part in P4. On top of that, the scenes are fun to watch.

Q: Can you have no girl friend?

A: Of course. All the potential lover links now give you one to many chances to declare your feeling towards them. If you choose not to develop, you two will become friends. Some dialogues may change, but you can still max the social links and get the ultimate personae regardless you have picked the friend or lover route.

Q: I cannot find my school-related social links!!

A: Rainy days close most of them. On top of that, remember the week before tests and exams, all the school-related social links are also unavailable.

Q: Which social links level up by themselves?

A: Fool, Judgment, and Star.

Q: Which social link does not need a matching persona?

A: Death (it levels up no matter what you say), Empress (it levels up as long as your fused persona is right), and Hermit (it levels up as long as you have completed the given quest).

Q: What's up with the afternoon invitation?

A: There are two types of invitations. The one that comes from the right of the screen is a reminder telling you that there will be a chance of meeting with that persona today, and such meeting will be a ranking up event. You don't need to say anything. If you don't go today, the ranking will still happen if you see them the other day. The other one that comes from the left of the screen is a real invitation. You'd have to say yes/no immediately. If you say "no", you can still meet with that person after school. However, if you say "yes", you will instantly enter the meeting after school (note: Without any chance to sort out your persona) and have a conversation with them. The benefit of that is you will have bonus to all your answer, additionally, this bonus stacks with your matching persona.

Q: What's up with making lunch?

A: Along the story, there are multiple occasions in which Nanako will tell you she has done some shopping; this means you'd find some cooking ingredient in the fridge. You can choose to make lunch, which will take up your evening time slot. During the cooking, there will be some options, if you pick the right one, you'll always end up with the lunch and three baits. On the next school day, you can invite any social link person to join you. This lunch invitation also contributes points, and bonus will also be given if you have a matching persona.

Q: Which social links should I focus on?

A: Primarily your team members' social links; ranking up the links with them helps your battle. Secondary, the Hermit; this link, once maxed, let you access the shrine in where you can pray for any social link. Such pray counts as one meeting and is a very efficient way to max all the links. Then, concentrate on Justice and Hierophant, since this two links end about two months earlier than the others.

For a detailed list of battle benefits, see http://persona4.wikidot.com/linkeffect
---
#4Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:22:28 PMmessage detail
I noticed that on wikidot that there is a walthrough and on gamefaqs you have a max slink guide. My question is, does the walkthrough on wikidot have the same max slink info as the max slink guide? So therefore, if I were to follow that walkthrough, I should get max slinks as well?

Yes, they are the same. I did change some minor thing to decrease the uncertainty so that the players don't have to make too many risky judgment. The FAQ on GameFAQ is the same as the typewriter fonts on persona4.wikidot. On the wiki, if you scroll way down, there is also a second version, which is from another JPN blog. You can follow either one of them. I will recommend the typewriter one (or the one on GameFAQ) because that one allows more events to happen.

Another question, besides the S.links, what are some other things that can be missed or is it listed somewhere?

There are some that I can think of now:
1.) Each month there are some prices you can get if you show the old man by the river the fish you caught. Some equipment can only be obtained from him.
2.) All the quests that involve the twin sisters will not be available after 11/17.
3.) The major turning point of the story happens at the beginning of December, if you have picked the wrong choice and save, there is also no way coming back. So, keep a backup.

Hey, stupid question, is there a limit to how many items you can have or does it just go to 99 like normal? I'm asking this because I want to save my TaPs up, but if there is a smaller cap, I want to use it before I go get some more.

99 is the cap.

When you say the Persona Compendium carries over, does it mean:
1) The personae are there, with their levels and skills exactly as you registered them last time;
or this
2) The personae are there, but reset to their default/basic level and skills.

(1), and on top of that, the level limitation is lifted, as long as you have enough cash, you can summon anything.

Also, you said the "persona from end game" does not carry over. You mean the persona I had equipped while fighting the last boss, or something else?

Yes, that means all the personae you had at the end game of cycle one, you won't see them again.
---
#5Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:25:30 PMmessage detail
When's the first time that you can get that fish to him? Month + Day
After 5/1, talk to the old man next to the river source. He'd give you a fishing set and 10 baits. Since then you can fish. Fishing takes up time slot. Types of fish you can get depends on the weather; bigger fish appears on rainy days. The number of trials depends on your diligence (one level per fishing per session).

As the game goes on, you may be able to get an advanced fishing set that allows you to fish the supreme fish in the river.

If baits run out, talk to the lady outside your house every non-rainy day. She will give you one bait a day. During lunch making, you will also be able to save some scraps as baits, too.

2.) All the quests that involve the twin sisters will not be available after 11/17.
Same with the first question.

All listed here: http://persona4.wikidot.com/quests

So I'm guessing this is the same story like how Chidori was in P3, right? How many of these are there?

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

There are three:

On 12/3 night, Yousuke will ask you a series of questions. If you picked them all right, you can proceed to the potential good ending. Any deviation of it will get you to the bad ending immediately.

Then, on 12/5, you'd be asked to name the person responsible. If you get the wrong one for three attempts, you'll get bad ending.

If you also passed the 12/5 trial, on 3/20, you'll also have a series of questions and conversations to do. If you have done them all, then you can potentially go to the true good ending. Otherwise, you'll get a normal ending.

If you wish to know them all, here is the link: http://persona4.wikidot.com/december. Be careful that it has a huge spoiler in it. I whited it out so that you'll need to drag your mouse over to see it.

END OF SPOILER

END OF SPOILER

END OF SPOILER

END OF SPOILER

END OF SPOILER

What's Babysitting?

It's one of the part time jobs, also the route to get a social link.

First, check the bill board next to Aiya (on the street where the shrine is), and apply for this job right there.

Second, come back down to the other shopping district (where the book store is), walk to the south-most end, you'll see a bus stop at the opposite of the gas station. Talk to the bus stop and you can go to do this baby sitting job.

This job pays pretty well, you will not start any link this time, but next time you'll get it. In future, this babysitting job in the schedule will be replaced by "Temperance".

Also, I still don't have Courage of 3 yet. And you said "If not, you have until 5/15 for a second attempt." What happens if I don't have it by that time?

You'll find a third attempt later.
---
#6JayCPenneyPosted 2/13/2009 10:26:12 PMmessage detail
add a special goodies downloads section!
#7Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:26:34 PMmessage detail
Dungeon Persona List

To find Personas near the bottom of the lists, you must go to the higher floors and vice versa.

Yukiko's Castle:

-Pixie
-Slime
-Ukobach
-Angel
-Apsaras
-Sandman
-Nata Taishi
-Forneus
-Yomotsu Shikome
-Omoikane
-Orobas
-Valkyrie
-Senri
-Ghoul
-Lilim
-Cu Sith

Steamy Bathhouse:

-Nata Taishi
-Forneus
-Yomotsu Shikome
-Omoikane
-Orobas
-Valkyrie
-Senri
-Ghoul
-Lilim
-Cu Sith
-Saki Mitama
-Archangel
-Sylph
-Oberon
-Eligor
-Obariyon
-Titan
-Mokoi
-Anzu
-Berith
-Jack Frost
-Xiezhai
-Sarasvati
-Ippon Datara
-Yaksini
-Ara Mitama
-Principality
-Vetala
-Andras
-Phoenix

Marukyu Striptease:

-Sarasvati
-Ippon Datara
-Yaksini
-Ara Mitama
-Principality
-Vetala
-Andras
-Phoenix
-Legion
-Shiisaa
-High Pixie
-King Frost
-Yomotsu Ikusa
-Rakshasa
-Nigi Mitama
-Matador
-Kaiwan
-Hua Po
-Ares
-Titania
-Lamia
-Power
-Makami
-Nozuchi
-Kusi Mitama
-Incubus
-Ganga
-Unicorn

Void Quest:

-Titania
-Lamia
-Power
-Makami
-Nozuchi
-Kusi Mitama
-Incubus
-Ganga
-Unicorn
-Oni
-Ose
-Mithra
-Gdon
-Pyro Jack
-Virtue
-Mothman
-Gorgon
-Setanta
-Yamata no Orochi
-Flauros
-Samael
-Parvati
-Pazuzu
-Dominion
-Dis
-Orthrus
-Genbu
-Yatagarasu
-Oukuninushi
-Hitokoto-Nushi
-Alraune
---
#8radiantdarknessPosted 2/13/2009 10:26:41 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:27:35 PMmessage detail
Secret Laboratory:

-Gorgon
-Setanta
-Yamata no Orochi
-Flauros
-Samael
-Parvati
-Pazuzu
-Dominion
-Dis
-Orthrus
-Genbu
-Yatagarasu
-Oukuninushi
-Hitokoto-Nushi
-Alraune
-Hanuman
-Triglav
-Fuu-ki
-Gabriel
-Succubus
-Thoth
-Hokuto Seikun
-Decarabia
-Mot
-Rangda
-Seiryuu
-Narasimha
-Kikuri-Hime
-Kurama Tengu
-Girimehkala
-Throne
-Kali
-Ganesha
-Pabilsag
-Skadi
-Cerberus

Heaven:

-Decarabia
-Mot
-Rangda
-Seiryuu
-Narasimha
-Kikuri-Hime
-Kurama Tengu
-Girimehkala
-Throne
-Kali
-Ganesha
-Pabilsag
-Skadi
-Cerberus
-Lilith
-Kin-ki
-Suzaku
-Niddhoggr
-Shiki-Ouji
-Taowu
-Garuda
-Sui-ki
-Uriel
-White Rider
-Hariti
-Mother Harlot
-Daisoujou
-Belphegor
-Jatayu

Magatsu Inaba/Mandala:

-Shiki-Ouji
-Taowu
-Garuda
-Sui-ki
-Uriel
-White Rider
-Hariti
-Mother Harlot
-Daisoujou
-Belphegor
-Jatayu
-Jinn
-Byakko
-Nebiros
-Siegfried
-Barong
-Thor
-Melchizedek
-Hell Biker
-Kartikeya
-Belial
-Seth
-Horus
-Surt
-Yurlungur
-Tzitzimitl
-Alilat
-Hachiman
-Vasuki
-Atavaka
-Arahabaki

Yomotsu Hirasaka:

-Melchizedek
-Hell Biker
-Kartikeya
-Belial
-Seth
-Horus
-Surt
-Yurlungur
-Tzitzimitl
-Alilat
-Hachiman
-Vasuki
-Atavaka
-Arahabaki
-Saturnus
-Baal Zebul
-Suparna

---
#10Shinarouji(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2009 10:28:50 PMmessage detail
Are there any plans to make an extended version like Persona 4:FES?

http://www.atlus.com/newsdetail.php?newsID=341

ATLUS ANNOUNCES THAT THERE WILL ONLY BE ONE (VERY AWESOME) VERSION OF PERSONA 4
Unprecedented announcement-of-no-announcement shocks industry

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — NOVEMBER 6, 2008 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced to eager fans awaiting the release of the upcoming RPG epic Persona 4 that there will in fact be no enhanced or expanded version of the game released, as was the case with the game’s predecessor, Persona 3.

“We are today able to announce that at no point in the future will we announce the release of a “FES” version of Persona 4,” said Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “The very finest, most definitive version of Persona 4 will be the one released on December 9, 2008.”

This groundbreaking preemptive anti-announcement puts to rest concerns among many Atlus devotees that an improved version would be announced and released shortly following the release of Persona 4.

---