what order do you play the Shin Megami Tensei games?

#1Combo MasterPosted 2/15/2009 7:04:16 PM
do the persona games go with the story of the other games?What order do you play them in?
---
Combo Master
#2Neo_Zeromus_XPosted 2/15/2009 7:04:40 PM
Any order you want.
---
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ZeromusX
"When there's a save point around, ****'s going down." ~ IrrelevantAlex
#3KailieannPosted 2/15/2009 7:05:32 PM
The order of the games is:

Persona 1, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment

And

Digital Devil Saga 1, Digital Devil Saga 2.

None of the other games are related to eachother in any significant way.
#4SoulBreaker5309Posted 2/15/2009 8:15:11 PM
Oh boy, here we go.

Well, the series starts out as a first person dungeon crawler based off a campy horror novel, then, with MTII, moves into the post-apocalyptic cyberpunk theme that we know and love. Giten Megami Tensei involved the Devil Busters mentioned in Megami Tensei II.

Megami Tensei (Famicom, and a not so good top-down action game on the PC by Telecom) -> Megami Tensei II (Famicom) -?> Giten Megami Tensei (False Goddess Reincarnation; PC88)

Here's where Atlus took over the MegaTen series, taking the apocalypic theme and demon interaction to new heights. I'm not aware of whether alignments were present in MTII or not, but it's with the SMT series that alignments became important factors in both game play and storyline.

->Shin Megami Tensei (Super Famicom) -> Shin Megami Tensei II (Super Famicom) -> Shin Megami Tensei (III) Nocturne

It's sorta weird with SMT: IMAGINE, as originally it was to be taking place in the MTII world, but apparently, it goes between SMT I and II as well. You could say that MTII goes between SMT I and II, but I wouldn't know since I never finished it.

Here's the SRPG spin-off series, continuing with the whole apocalyptic theme while making use of the demon negotiation system as well.

Magnetite, the essence of life that demons lived off of, was a limited resource for summoning, negotiations, and maintenance in the main series, but here it takes an even greater role as a time limit, of sorts, for how long demons could be summoned before they began losing health from lack of Magnetite. This sort of thing can be deadly in an SRPG. I don't remember if movement cost Magnetite.

->Majin Tensei (Super Famicom) -> Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis (Super Famicom) -> Ronde (Sega Saturn; ugh, bad) -?> Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor

Shin Megami Tensei if... introduced Guardian Spirits, which were demons met in the human characters' deaths in battle who granted stat bonuses and skills, and this mechanic worked alongside demon negotiations.

Megami Ibunroku, meaning Another Goddess Story, is the subtitle used for specific spin-offs to the original series. It's here where the Persona spin-off came to fruition.

The first person perspective was removed after Persona 1. After the second title, demons were no longer presented as the typical enemies, and with that, demon negotiation was removed. To compensate, Social Links could be seen as negotiations of sorts as a means to attain access to more Personas, akin to attaining more demon allies.

->Shin Megami Tensei if... (Super Famicom) -> (Revelations) Persona (Megami Ibunroku: Be Your True Mind: Persona) -> Persona 2: Innocent Sin, then Eternal Punishment -> Persona 3 and P3FES' The Answer -> Persona 4

More to come...
---
People seem to be confusing Hardcore with Mainstream.
Everybody I know is a tool. Ugh... -_-'
#5SoulBreaker5309Posted 2/15/2009 8:16:19 PM
Continued...

The Devil Summoner spin-off series started off on the Sega Saturn as a standard first-person turn-based dungeon crawler, similar to the older Megami Tensei games. Only the Raidou titles, both utilizing real-time combat, were localized. Soul Hackers on the PS1 was to be localized, but Sony denied it for not being in complete 3D.

->Devil Summoner (Sega Saturn) -> Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers -> Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army -> Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Abbadon King

Here's the fantasy-styled MegaTen spin-off that resided on the Game Boy, using a top-down style appearance like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, but still making use of demon negotiations and first person perspective battles. Only the first game was localized.

->Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (aka Revelations: Demon Slayer; GB) -> Last Bible 2 (GB) -?> Another Bible (GB) -> Last Bible III (Super Famicom)

This spin-off series in particular dropped the demon negotiation in favor of a more character driven structure. The motif of consumption of enemies and skill pools similar to FFX make their appearance for this particular series only.

->Digital Devil Saga (Avatar Tuner) -> Digital Devil Saga 2

And don't get me started on the Devil Children (Demikids) spin-off and the mobile games.

If you want, there's also Jack Bros on the Virtual Boy.

Well, here you go. Doubt you'll read through all of this, but that's how it is. *shrugs shoulders*
---
#6SoulBreaker5309Posted 2/15/2009 8:23:56 PM
Oh yeah, the original Megami Tensei games were handled by Namco, before known as Namcot.

The prefix for the Megami Tensei games was Digital Devil Story.

And...

Nihon Telenet actually did that one PC (MSX) iteration of MT I. A mistake on my part. >_<
---
#7Krio Lv3Posted 2/15/2009 8:36:13 PM
I have not played many...

I started with DDS when I asked for it for christmas because I began Video Game collecting.
I got to the end of it, bought DDS2 but never played it.

I Bought Nocturne, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Devil Summoner (RvsSA) but never played any of them really, until FES came out, I bought that and P3 before it and played FES.

After getting half way through FES I stopped playing, got this when it came out and only started playing it now.
---
Metaknight- No, Kirby....I am your father....
Kirby- HIIII!
- SeiichiroAoki
#8Look over therePosted 2/15/2009 9:34:42 PM
They put Devil Survivor in the Majin Tensei line? Hmm, I didn't know that.
#9Rhapsodic_ChordPosted 2/15/2009 9:42:21 PM
Wow, very impressive SoulBreaker5309!
---
Three fandoms that I have never understood: Twilight, Macs, and Naoto Shirogane.
#10ParrotshakePosted 2/15/2009 10:04:03 PM
They put Devil Survivor in the Majin Tensei line? Hmm, I didn't know that.

It's not offical, and neither is Ronde. But it makes sense, right?
---
Trouble At The Old Mill.
Moon translation project - http://www.sennue.com/en/moon