Know any other good J social or dating sims?

#1levelup777Posted 8/12/2010 2:57:59 AM
Ever since playing Persona 3, I've really been wanting to try a Japanese dating sim. I'm not saying Persona 3 or 4 sucks, but I enjoyed the S-Links very much and I'd like to try another game like it without pressure of being ready for a battle.

Anybody know a good game in English and, please, NO H-scenes.
#2Shoot the WorksPosted 8/12/2010 3:19:19 AM
Anybody know a good game in English and, please, NO H-scenes.

That last criteria removes a large chunk of the better visual novels out there. Off the top of my head, there's Ever17, but that's not in print anymore. Clannad is one of the best, but doesn't have an official translation. Planetarian is supposed to be good. Tsukihime is another solid top-tier VN, but again, not in print, no official translation; and only meets your criteria because Mirror Moon did a non-H patch for it.

All of these are PC, of course.
#3provettPosted 8/12/2010 3:33:03 AM
Lunar Legend Tsukihime, it has H scenes, but you can turn them off, and the story is SUBLIME!
---
Best Buy sucks so bad, I have to Sig it!
The customer service were stupid & they lied. Don't Buy from Best Buy
#4RoxellWhiteFangPosted 8/12/2010 3:50:25 AM
You can always download the above said games, if you actually want to cross the barrier of legal and illegal activity.
---
Roxalis:"Please, even a 10 year old can do that" ElPau:"Well maybe my brain is 9"
Roxalis:"I'm gonna quote that one"
#5DancingTriggerPosted 8/12/2010 4:57:20 AM
Most visual novel-esque games involve h-scenes.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Sengoku Rance. Though it's not so much "dating" as it is ...yeah.
---
Capitalism, ho!~ - Recette, Recettear.
#6RoxellWhiteFangPosted 8/12/2010 5:06:51 AM
^pfffff, the first h scene comes after 5 minutes you started the game.
---
Roxalis:"Please, even a 10 year old can do that" ElPau:"Well maybe my brain is 9"
Roxalis:"I'm gonna quote that one"
#7Code_Geass_CCPosted 8/12/2010 7:04:52 AM
I will say this now in big bold letters...

YOU MUST PLAY CLANNAD

This is where people say I'm a sissy...but Clannad is downright heartwarming, heartwrenching, lovable, full of charm, and over just a beautiful masterpiece. The masterpiece that is the Clannad After Story anime aside...the VN is just something that if you are looking for something as I said heartwarming, fun, lovable...you simply can't miss it. One of the best VN's and series of all time...and my favorite of all time.

As for others...why not some Fate Stay Night or Higurashi? (I believe there's a version of FSN that lets you skip the ero scenes)
---
"In a way writers are gods. They create new worlds and control their destinies" - Code_Geass_CC
#8DancingTriggerPosted 8/12/2010 7:05:41 AM

^pfffff, the first h scene comes after 5 minutes you started the game.

Depending on if you hold control, it happens in the first minute.
---
Capitalism, ho!~ - Recette, Recettear.
#9Code_Geass_CCPosted 8/12/2010 7:08:05 AM
As for dating sims...if there was ever an english version...you'd HAVE to play Love Plus. Now, when there's a real person who falls in love with a character so much from a game and actually decides to OFFICIALLY marry the character (also marrying the handheld in the process) from that game...you know it's a good game.

Yes...a real person married a character from Love Plus. Say what you want about some of the Japanese culture...but that's still amazing.
---
"In a way writers are gods. They create new worlds and control their destinies" - Code_Geass_CC
#10Shoot the WorksPosted 8/12/2010 8:32:17 AM
@Code_Geass_CC - I wouldn't call you a sissy for loving Clannad; it's an incredibly touching story that could wring tears from a stone, and one of my favorites. That said, you sell the story better if you don't come on to your audience way too strong and with far too many ellipses.

(I believe there's a version of FSN that lets you skip the ero scenes)

There is. It's called Realta Nua, and it's on the PS2. It doesn't let you skip the sex, it removed those scenes entirely. It also never made it to the U.S. I don't think Mirror Moon bothered with the non-H option with their translation of PC Fate/stay night; at least I don't recall there being one, but I could be wrong.

Now, when there's a real person who falls in love with a character so much from a game and actually decides to OFFICIALLY marry the character (also marrying the handheld in the process) from that game...you know it's a good game.

Yes...a real person married a character from Love Plus. Say what you want about some of the Japanese culture...but that's still amazing.

It can also mean the person is just terribly lonely, gave up on finding an actual person to tie his life to, and reached whole new levels of escapism. Obsessed fans have been declaring fictional characters as their "wives" for a while now (and pushing for rights to legally marry them -_-), it's nothing new, and still very sad. But that might just be me reading between the lines too much again.