Wow, Yosuke is a little jerk

#131Strain42Posted 4/13/2012 3:22:03 PM
Ok, from what I'm reading, we're all still mostly in agreement that even if Yosuke's behavior is the result of being conditioned towards it growing up, it doesn't make it acceptable. Just slightly more rationalized.

Are we all in agreement there?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#132buffy720Posted 4/13/2012 3:38:43 PM
SmashStrike posted...
buffy720 posted...
Having fun, Smash? It's okay, you've already proven my point. :)

And funny how I haven't said anything in a bit, and yet you had to bring me back into it with your little comment. Thanks for caring so much, though.

Beyond that, I agree with Emi, though you're not going to get anywhere with how anti-Yosuke some people are here. From their perspective, he's awful, and not a single thing could change that mindset.

You've been lurking in this topic all this time waiting for one sentence to reference you so you could do the very thing you keep complaining about? Good to know.

Good to know you're so full of yourself, Smash. I was watching what Emi was saying, and then you had to reference me for no good reason other than to be a bit of an ass about the whole thing. So yes, I felt the need to speak up since you so obviously wanted me to, or you wouldn't have referenced me in the first place. :)

Oh, and Strain, I never said negative criticism can't be necessary to a discussion. What I don't get is why either of you feel the need to discuss Yosuke and how much of an ass you feel he can be as much as you do. There's a difference. Yosuke's behavior can indeed be annoying, though I hardly feel he's worthy of a worst character title when there are so many that are far worse than him in the RPG world. *shrugs*
---
Currently playing - Tales of Graces f.
#133SmashStrikePosted 4/13/2012 3:54:48 PM(edited)
Ok, from what I'm reading, we're all still mostly in agreement that even if Yosuke's behavior is the result of being conditioned towards it growing up, it doesn't make it acceptable. Just slightly more rationalized.

Are we all in agreement there?

Fo'sho.

I was watching what Emi was saying, and then you had to reference me for no good reason other than to be a bit of an ass about the whole thing.

Eh, I was gonna respond but it won't help. You just enjoy being offended so continue to do so.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#134Strain42Posted 4/13/2012 4:16:54 PM
Ok well 1, as I said, I only talk about it when it's relevant to the conversation. If you don't believe me, go see the P4:A board. Do you see me just randomly bashing Yosuke over there? No.

In fact, I think the only thing I've ever really said about him on that board is "I don't like Yosuke, but Eikichi is one of my favorite characters and he's got his skin. Heck, I might end up using him." and that was months ago.

And 2, I don't care if there are worse characters in the RPG world, in fact I know that there are, which is why I personally avoid most JRPGs. I could name tons of RPG characters that I find more annoying than Yosuke, but it doesn't change the fact that he's my least favorite MegaTen character, and there's no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to talk about why when I'm in a conversation that allows me to.

Should I also hold back on talking about Kanji being my favorite Persona character and why just because there are so many better RPG characters out there?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#135SunladisPosted 4/13/2012 9:08:19 PM
(like when he talked about Nanako's mom's cooking when Nanako's mom is dead, for example.)

To be fair, he doesn't know about Nanako's mom.
---
The average intelligence of a fandom is inversely proportional to its size.
#136Dabrikishaw15Posted 4/14/2012 12:44:55 PM

Good to know you're so full of yourself, Smash. I was watching what Emi was saying, and then you had to reference me for no good reason other than to be a bit of an ass about the whole thing. So yes, I felt the need to speak up since you so obviously wanted me to, or you wouldn't have referenced me in the first place. :)

Oh, and Strain, I never said negative criticism can't be necessary to a discussion. What I don't get is why either of you feel the need to discuss Yosuke and how much of an ass you feel he can be as much as you do. There's a difference. Yosuke's behavior can indeed be annoying, though I hardly feel he's worthy of a worst character title when there are so many that are far worse than him in the RPG world. *shrugs*

While I agree with the notion that SmashStrike can get full of himself(and not just on the subject of Yosuke)these momenta are few and far in-between. At the end of the day man it's just 2 people we see everyday, that doesn't even count as a minority. Don't let it bother you.
---
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af134/gnosblax/yodawgme.jpg
#137SmashStrikePosted 4/14/2012 2:25:34 PM
While I agree with the notion that SmashStrike can get full of himself(and not just on the subject of Yosuke)these momenta are few and far in-between.

So... every once in a while I'm kind of a dick for no reason? Ok, I wasn't aware. Probably wasn't my intention and I'll try to refrain from that in the future. =/
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#138Strain42Posted 4/14/2012 3:21:27 PM
Lucky for me, I already KNOW that I'm an ass most of the time.

Becoming self-aware of this is one of the smartest things I've ever done.
---
#139SpadeFrom90Posted 4/14/2012 7:10:07 PM
Hello everyone! I was surfing around the web (since I just ended Persona 4 a couple of days ago, watched the anime and ended today and got really interested in this whole franchise) and found this topic, I was curious about this whole "Favorite/Dislikes" when it comes to character development. I even created an account to post here ^.^

---
--
-
Anyway... yeah, I do dislike Yosuke because he reminds me of the kind of people I really dislike in Real Life. At first, when entering the TV world for the 2nd time and after listening to Saki Konishi's saying that he was a "pain in the ass", I didn't tough he was REALLY a "pain in the ass" because everyone haves their opinion about others and not everyone get along, it's normal and natural.
When they made Yosuke, they made him annoying, with flaws. That I admire. In fact, it's too well design that it makes me hate him... since I know people just like him.
So, for me, hating a "character" it means it's just too well designed that I can relate some people I know (and hate has well) to it.

Now for the list you guys were doing a few posts back, I'll post my list and with a brief explanation:

(Best to Worse)
- Naoto
----- Naoto is just perfect. Many people don't like her because they don't know the feeling. I suffer from G.I.D. and I can relate to her pretty well. I may not be a "detective" (or have a profession that is gender-oriented) or be a female that wants to be male (the other way around). I never changed my gender has well. There's a quote she says (@Social Link 7): "The need to change... And the desire to remain the same... They're mixed together..." When she said that, I knew they just made this character perfect for the fact I feel the same things. I have my motives to stick with the gender I was born with and can relate to her, even though other people may find stupid to why not just "change". Notice Naoto's persona too. The name of her persona is Male and the story behind the name is from a japanese PRINCE. She haves a male persona. If her Persona is Male and a Persona reflects what people truly are then it means Naoto's really a Male in her "soul/heart".
- Kanji
----- Kanji, I have mixed feelings about this character. If I had the "life" this character had, I wouldn't be a "tough guy" kind of person that would scare people off. I would be a loner that would create "invisible" shields, not by beating people up but by simple not be "open" to talk or relations (basically kinda like Naoto) without being aggressive. Still, I can relate to the fact that he was always judged during his life by the fact he was different than other guys. That's wrong and it really closes people up. Even though it showed a different way to "react" towards a same injustice, it was represented well. About the whole "Gay/Spa" thing... someone said it well: "the emotions got air-wire". He only "considered" it but never was truly a male that could appreciate other males THAT way. This character needs respect has well.
- Chie
----- Ahhh... Chie. This one was interesting. Beying 21 years old, this character reminded me when I was younger, with my friends. Even though I would not basically do what Chie does, I was able to "puppet" many people because of jealousy. I made friends giving up on other friends I hated just because I wanted them to be "mine". It were dark times which I ain't proud off and this character made me remind once more how bad it is to manipulate people. Still, it showed that people like me do it because we really like our friends and only want the best for them, even if the means to do it were wrong, those ways... we won't repeat ever again.
- Yukiko
----- I'll go straight to the point: Cage, freedom, parents, expectations. I mean, MANY people can relate to this, no matter what life they may have. It's easy to understand. It ain't THAT deep but enough to get the point. Plus, I doubt NONE of you ever had a friend that just laughs at the most ridiculous childish things.
- Rise
----- At first, I was going to put her on the bottom of the list. "Risette" (yes, talking about this "act" and not Rise) was an insult to me by the fact it represented the stereotypes I dislike a lot about Idols or Famous people. Even though this time I can little relate to Rise, this character taught me what a friend of mine may suffer: Guidance. Rise could not find the "real" her. A friend of mine doesn't know what to do with her life in terms of professions and other things so I find it a little funny. Rise deserves a tiny bit of respect but she losses for the fact that it represents an Idol/TV-star that randomly appears (gives up showbiz, whatever) when Yu gets to town on that same random year... right on middle of a "lottery" murder case in a peaceful town!
- Teddie
----- Awkward character. Still, his innocence is very cute. The fact he just grew a body just date the girls (and don't give me the whole "get along with humans" crap, that was the idea I got) is freaky. Still, the theories a person can go around Teddie (I believe the "Nanako's shadow" fits well) makes me all "fuzzy" inside. I had a feeling he was a shadow anyway since day one, after all the "only shadows live here" part so, meh... he just couldn't "Bear" it. Rise does a better job at hiding the fact she's confused about her "real" self than him.
- Yu
----- A hero. What is there to say? A "leader" that is wise/sensei, is stronger than every other character because of a special ability, doesn't speak a lot but haves so many friends because he is just THAT nice and sacrificing when he's just there in less than a year? Still, he's better than Yosuke just because of the Persona 4: Animation's Drunken King Game. It was Hi-Hi-Hilarious! Still, sorry for your parents Yu. The fact that the show/game only showed everything about everyone, I only realized the fact that you were there for JUST a year... because of them.
- Yosuke
----- "I'm bored!".... seriously..? So, this character, even though it's a character with flaws, well represented, it's an ass... because he's BORED? I don't care if it's lonely and acts like a prick but seriously... does this character really wonder why it doesn't have many friends? I don't care if characters have a sad past or have valid reasons to be sad but dammit, don't act like that! Kanji may act like Yosuke in other ways but he was not ONLY a loner but he was a loner by the fact he was judged a lot by many people he liked. Yosuke, on the other hand, was a loner just because he moved from the city? *shifty eyes* Meh... Yosuke still gets a spot at my team though just because of his persona... but then Kanji came along and I substituted Yosuke for Kanji, together with Chie\Yukiko\Yu.
---
--
-

Now that the wall of text or... err, the "damage" is done, it's only my opinion so don't take it seriously.
I'm sorry if I annoyed you in any way or found inappropriate the fact I opened up a little when it comes to me but I always take the web kinda like that: I can tell anything about everything because, in the end, does it really matter or do people care? In a few minutes or seconds, you forgot everything I said! :P

Any who, I enjoyed this "Persona" game (it was the first one I ever played though). These are deep games. I didn't play this game for the fact it was an RPG or J-RPG. I played because it catch my eye. It's a really deep game with very strong symbolism. Even each persona haves a story and it's well represented. Study those names and you'll be amazed.

All I know is... this game made me cry and not only once :')

That is all! Thank you for reading =D
#140SpadeFrom90Posted 4/14/2012 7:11:07 PM
Hello everyone! I was surfing around the web (since I just ended Persona 4 a couple of days ago, watched the anime and ended today and got really interested in this whole franchise) and found this topic, I was curious about this whole "Favorite/Dislikes" when it comes to character development. I even created an account to post here ^.^

-SPOILERS/Wall of text INC-
---
--
-
Anyway... yeah, I do dislike Yosuke because he reminds me of the kind of people I really dislike in Real Life. At first, when entering the TV world for the 2nd time and after listening to Saki Konishi's saying that he was a "pain in the ass", I didn't tough he was REALLY a "pain in the ass" because everyone haves their opinion about others and not everyone get along, it's normal and natural.
When they made Yosuke, they made him annoying, with flaws. That I admire. In fact, it's too well design that it makes me hate him... since I know people just like him.
So, for me, hating a "character" it means it's just too well designed that I can relate some people I know (and hate has well) to it.

Now for the list you guys were doing a few posts back, I'll post my list and with a brief explanation:

(Best to Worse)
- Naoto
----- Naoto is just perfect. Many people don't like her because they don't know the feeling. I suffer from G.I.D. and I can relate to her pretty well. I may not be a "detective" (or have a profession that is gender-oriented) or be a female that wants to be male (the other way around). I never changed my gender has well. There's a quote she says (@Social Link 7): "The need to change... And the desire to remain the same... They're mixed together..." When she said that, I knew they just made this character perfect for the fact I feel the same things. I have my motives to stick with the gender I was born with and can relate to her, even though other people may find stupid to why not just "change". Notice Naoto's persona too. The name of her persona is Male and the story behind the name is from a japanese PRINCE. She haves a male persona. If her Persona is Male and a Persona reflects what people truly are then it means Naoto's really a Male in her "soul/heart".
- Kanji
----- Kanji, I have mixed feelings about this character. If I had the "life" this character had, I wouldn't be a "tough guy" kind of person that would scare people off. I would be a loner that would create "invisible" shields, not by beating people up but by simple not be "open" to talk or relations (basically kinda like Naoto) without being aggressive. Still, I can relate to the fact that he was always judged during his life by the fact he was different than other guys. That's wrong and it really closes people up. Even though it showed a different way to "react" towards a same injustice, it was represented well. About the whole "Gay/Spa" thing... someone said it well: "the emotions got air-wire". He only "considered" it but never was truly a male that could appreciate other males THAT way. This character needs respect has well.
- Chie
----- Ahhh... Chie. This one was interesting. Beying 21 years old, this character reminded me when I was younger, with my friends. Even though I would not basically do what Chie does, I was able to "puppet" many people because of jealousy. I made friends giving up on other friends I hated just because I wanted them to be "mine". It were dark times which I ain't proud off and this character made me remind once more how bad it is to manipulate people. Still, it showed that people like me do it because we really like our friends and only want the best for them, even if the means to do it were wrong, those ways... we won't repeat ever again.
- Yukiko
----- I'll go straight to the point: Cage, freedom, parents, expectations. I mean, MANY people can relate to this, no matter what life they may have. It's easy to understand. It ain't THAT deep but enough to get the point. Plus, I doubt NONE of you ever had a friend that just laughs at the most ridiculous childish things.
- Rise
----- At first, I was going to put her on the bottom of the list. "Risette" (yes, talking about this "act" and not Rise) was an insult to me by the fact it represented the stereotypes I dislike a lot about Idols or Famous people. Even though this time I can little relate to Rise, this character taught me what a friend of mine may suffer: Guidance. Rise could not find the "real" her. A friend of mine doesn't know what to do with her life in terms of professions and other things so I find it a little funny. Rise deserves a tiny bit of respect but she losses for the fact that it represents an Idol/TV-star that randomly appears (gives up showbiz, whatever) when Yu gets to town on that same random year... right on middle of a "lottery" murder case in a peaceful town!
- Teddie
----- Awkward character. Still, his innocence is very cute. The fact he just grew a body just date the girls (and don't give me the whole "get along with humans" crap, that was the idea I got) is freaky. Still, the theories a person can go around Teddie (I believe the "Nanako's shadow" fits well) makes me all "fuzzy" inside. I had a feeling he was a shadow anyway since day one, after all the "only shadows live here" part so, meh... he just couldn't "Bear" it. Rise does a better job at hiding the fact she's confused about her "real" self than him.
- Yu
----- A hero. What is there to say? A "leader" that is wise/sensei, is stronger than every other character because of a special ability, doesn't speak a lot but haves so many friends because he is just THAT nice and sacrificing when he's just there in less than a year? Still, he's better than Yosuke just because of the Persona 4: Animation's Drunken King Game. It was Hi-Hi-Hilarious! Still, sorry for your parents Yu. The fact that the show/game only showed everything about everyone, I only realized the fact that you were there for JUST a year... because of them.
- Yosuke
----- "I'm bored!".... seriously..? So, this character, even though it's a character with flaws, well represented, it's an ass... because he's BORED? I don't care if it's lonely and acts like a prick but seriously... does this character really wonder why it doesn't have many friends? I don't care if characters have a sad past or have valid reasons to be sad but dammit, don't act like that! Kanji may act like Yosuke in other ways but he was not ONLY a loner but he was a loner by the fact he was judged a lot by many people he liked. Yosuke, on the other hand, was a loner just because he moved from the city? *shifty eyes* Meh... Yosuke still gets a spot at my team though just because of his persona... but then Kanji came along and I substituted Yosuke for Kanji, together with Chie\Yukiko\Yu.
---
--
-
-END OF SPOILERS/Wall of text-

Now that the wall of text or... err, the "damage" is done, it's only my opinion so don't take it seriously.
I'm sorry if I annoyed you in any way or found inappropriate the fact I opened up a little when it comes to me but I always take the web kinda like that: I can tell anything about everything because, in the end, does it really matter or do people care? In a few minutes or seconds, you forgot everything I said! :P

Any who, I enjoyed this "Persona" game (it was the first one I ever played though). These are deep games. I didn't play this game for the fact it was an RPG or J-RPG. I played because it catch my eye. It's a really deep game with very strong symbolism. Even each persona haves a story and it's well represented. Study those names and you'll be amazed.

All I know is... this game made me cry and not only once :')

That is all! Thank you for reading =D