Can't get the original to work on Windows 7, want to buy this on D2D's sale...

#1zyxomma100Posted 9/15/2010 12:21:02 PM
Like the topic says, I bought a cheap copy of Silverfall a short time back. I've done the standard procedures: install in XP compatibility mode, run as administrator, fully patched to game to 1.13 or 1.17 or whatever the latest version is. It still doesn't work, because Windows 7 blocks what I assume to be the DRM driver. Every time I restarted my computer after installing Silverfall, it would give me the message "Driver blocked due to compatibility issues" and Silverfall refuses to do anything when I launch it. But anyway, that's not why I'm here.

Direct2Drive has both Silverfall and Earth Awakening for $6 each as part of their anniversary sale. I'd like to bite, but I want to know if anyone's had any luck running this on Windows 7? I've sort of had my eye on Silverfall for a long time, and it sucks that I can't play it now.

I'm just wondering if it will work because the D2D version might not have the asinine DRM that the disc version has. I'm not going to get my hopes up, because apparently the Steam version still has it (making Monte Cristo nothing short of idiots), but I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight.
#2mychal2626Posted 9/15/2010 2:26:00 PM
Have you tried running in Windows XP Mode? If you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate you can download and install a virtual drive with Windows XP on it. What does this mean? You can essentially run Windows XP SP3 on a Windows 7 machine. Also, it allows you to run Windows 7 applications alongside Windows XP applications.

The download through Microsoft can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx.