AAI-1
2-1
1-1
#112shadow chao 10Posted 4/18/2010 10:15:07 PM
---
~Space for rent~
#113aeleus222Posted 4/22/2010 4:41:02 PM
A little late, but…

23. 1-2: Pretty bad. I mean, I kinda liked the some of the jokes at the end, but the dream beginning was somewhat awkward, the whole temporary amnesia thing is just an unbelievable coincidence, and a lot of the handwriting parts didn’t really hold out too much in terms of logic and evidence IRRC.

22. 1-1: Nothing to say on this one. It wasn’t so much bad as it was incredibly short.

21. I-1: Nothing special. Maggey’s getting pretty old at this point, but it was only a first case so I guess it wasn’t that big of a deal.

20. 3-1: Exactly what an opening case should be. The case is simple enough, but it leaves a great first impression of what the game will be like.

19. 4-3: So much was wrong with this case. My least favorite murderer in the series (forgot his name, but he reminded me of Sonic, which is bad), there was so much that was hard to believe regarding the case against Machi, and, most importantly, the song was an awful gimmick.

18. 4-1: Without a doubt the best intro case. Not only do they trick you in that the first witness isn’t the murderer (which had become standard for the series by this point), they make the true culprit the person whom you initially assumed would be your mentor.

17. I-2: Literally the last case I placed. I guess what I mean is that it really wasn’t that memorable. It’s not that there was anything wrong with it, it just almost seemed standard. Which is never a good thing in Ace Attorney.

16. 1-3: I’m sure you’re thinking that I really misplaced this case. And part of me loves it, but… First off, there’s hardly any evidence to convict Powers with to start. This is ok, as the case is filled with wonderful characters. We then get to the second day, and I should note that this is one of the three cases where I feel that the climax is NOT the cases’ ending. It was a great trial day. Except for one thing: you prove his innocence… and there’s another day. YOU PROVE THAT WILL POWERS HAD NO ACCESS TO THE TRUE MURDER SCENE AT THE TIME OF THE CRIME. Why the hell is he still on trial? That is why this otherwise great case is so low. I really didn’t mind the self defense charge, though.

15. 3-4 This was a great flashback case. It was nice to play as Mia again, and the case had tons of surprises, including that Godot was the Diego Armando referenced in 3-1, plus Dahlia’s return and a further revelation of her twisted character. Not to mention, I liked how even though you were aware from the beginning that Mia would not be winning this case,

14. 4-2 Kind of like I-2 in that it doesn’t really stick out, although still better than that. The actual way that the murder was carried out (her hiding in the back of the cart) was pretty interesting. However, Stickler’s testimony seems to drag on a little too long, as did the case’s beginning.

13. 2-2 Would be higher if not for the fact that the first investigation is quite possibly the most boring investigation scene in the series. In fact, the whole first half was nothing really special. Actually, the best part of the case was what dealt with not the actual murder itself but the Ini Miney twist. Even though it was fairly predictable (I saw it coming on the second investigation), it was still pretty interesting. Introducing the Magatam was also nice.
#114aeleus222Posted 4/22/2010 4:42:26 PM
12. 4-4 This case has so many great parts and s many gaping flaws. Overall, the first half was kinda slow to me for a finale case. Not to mention, they start it off with the apparent shocker that was Drew painting Apollo’s cases had a pretty crappy explanation and was basically pointless. Kristoph really lost my respect in this case, and the game practically told you he was the murderer. I will never believe Phoenix would have lost his license, as it’s kind of obvious that even back then he had an idea of what really happened. It also felt as if they tried to hard to make Stickler important, and the final trial was incredibly anticlimactic. The Mason system has so many logic holes. Shadi being Zak Gramarye was a nice twist, but it does raise the question of why he was such an a** to the man he owed everything to in order to win a measly poker game. His sudden personality change was pretty unbelievable.

11. I-3 The final confrontation in the second half was pretty fantastic. However, this case loses a lot of points for the inclusion of Meekins, Ema, and Oldbag. Ema contributed nothing to the case. Oldbag is made more pointless by the fact that she also appears in the fifth case. Meekins gave the impression that he was hiding something, but is really just dropped as nothing more than a time waster. This case seemed to not realize that it is possible for characters who are coming from a previous game can still hold some importance within that particular case.

10. 2-3 I really have no complaints with this case other than the fact that Franziska tries to pass off a flying man as a viable explanation in court. It had some nice twists, some likeable characters, and a kind of sad backstory. Not to mention the fact that the main objection theme for the game fits better with Ben and Trilo than it does for any other situation in the game.

9. 3-3 Man, three three’s in a row. This case is pretty much pure comedy, but pulls it off so well. The chef is absolutely hilarious and loveable, along with the old man (Kudo, I believe.) Not to mention, seeing Maya in a maid costume is pretty funny. Plus, the case actually ends on a surprising note in that it turns out to be a fairly complex case (I really liked how the entire murder was staged just for the sake of Kudo’s testimony.)

8. 3-2 I believe that this and 3-5 are the only cases where I entered the final trial with no idea who the killer was. I mean, this game tricked me so well that I remember being disappointed that it was only a one day case after the first trial day is over. Not to mention that all of the characters were very likeable (well, I do have my quelms about Adrian, but meh.)

7. 1-2 I know, right. This is shockingly high. I absolutely adore this case. Mia’s death was incredibly unexpected, May and Grossberg were both fairly interesting charcters, and I loved the bellboy. Not to mention the biggest surprise of all: Phoenix becomes the defendant. Seriously, this really surprised me, and I honestly did begin to feel the hopelessness of his situation. I love this case just so much.

6. I-5 One of the other cases where the climax was not the end. Although I didn’t feel the ending drag so much as others did, there really was nothing special at all about it. The face-off with Shiina/Yew was pretty spectacular, but it helped to make the case’s close even more anticlimactic. It did leave me with a few unanswered questions, and Alba seemed like a slight Gant rip-off. And overall the case made a pretty bad use of the old HOLD IT! “Someone enters the room” trick. Even so, only reason I’m being so harsh is because it IS a finale, and I’d be a lot more forgiving on the Alba faceoff if it had been in the middle of the case instead of the end.
#115aeleus222Posted 4/22/2010 4:43:10 PM
5. 2-4 An overall great finale with quite possibly the most shocking twist in the series. Your seemingly idiotic client, whose apparent worst crime would probably be slight narcissism, is actually a cold, heartless, killer. You really begin to hate this guy, and the first half of the case was great due to how completely hopeless the case appeared. Reason it isn’t higher is that this is the third case where I feel the climax is not the final trial (Obviously it’s Engarde pulling his hair back.) The last trial day really dragged on, especially Powers and Adrian? (I think she testified this day)’s testimonies. While in most trials you’d be discovering new shocking information, you go into the finale knowing practically everything about the case, making it a little anticlimactic.

4. 1-5 The beginning was pretty boring. Other than that, it’s the longest and possibly hardest case in the series, which dealt with not one, but three separate murder cases, each with their own defendant in a sense (ok, technically it was only two, but whatever.) Not to mention, Gant was awesome.

3. I-4: This is beyond a doubt my favorite non-final case. It never really had a dull moment. Admittedly, Manfred’s inclusion was pointless. Other than that, the Judge was hilarious, and both Yew and Badd’s themes were great. I loved that it was a double homicide, and the video tape thing was pretty genius, not to mention the grand finale against Yew in the courtroom.

2. 3-5: After playing this for the first time, I believed this was hands-down my favorite case. After replaying it: I held onto that believe. Anyway, it took a few years for me to realize I was wrong, but I’ll talk about what beat this out in a second. Nonetheless, this case was a masterpiece. I loved how the managed to tie in the game’s story (chiefly Dahlia and Godot) with the series story (Misty and all of the spiritual channeling, plus certain revelations about Dahlia and Godot.) Also, playing as Edgeworth was a nice fun surprise.

1. 1-4 Words cannot express how much I love this case. The entire experience feels like an amazing battle to clear of pretty much everyone in the case versus Manfred von Karma. And it should be noted that Manfred is my favorite character in the series (which is why I like to pretend he was never in I-4), and he earns that spot. This case had so many moments that just got me incredibly excited and my blood pumping. Larry wins the prize for the best HOLD IT moment in the series, as his testimony made me so excited as von Karma’s perfect court plan slowly began to fall apart. Another great moment was, when everything seemed so hopeless that Manfred was mocking Phoenix, Phoenix manages to pull THE PARROT onto the stand due to one slip of the tongue by von Karma. Maya also takes part in the battle through her objection on the first day, and how she reacts to Karma’s taser attack. The DL-6 theme is also possibly my favorite non-courtroom theme in the series, and the entire incident and its explanation is wonderful. Yanni also holds some hints of brilliancy, specifically through burning off his fingertips, and is the only murderer whom I truly pity. Heck, one could argue that he underwent a greater tragedy than Edgeworth did from Karma’s vicious deed. And this case also greatly rounds off both Edgeworth and Gumshoe’s characters (and I guess Larry’s too.) Overall, there is none better in the series in my opinion.
#116getar1234Posted 4/25/2010 3:51:35 AM
That was a good list :D enjoyed reading it!
#117rashrulesPosted 4/27/2010 2:32:05 AM
Hm, now that I finished AJ I'll rank em again. No 1-5, I haven't played it because my file got deleted while I was in the middle of it, and I don't feel like going through all of the previous 4 cases again.

22. 2-1: Just your below-average beginning case.

21. 1-1: Just your average beginning case.

20. ME-1: Just your average beginning case.

19. 1-2: Just not that great. Redd White gives up easily for someone who has that kind of power.

18. 3-3: It wasn't that great, really. Tigre was a cool character, though. Cardboard badge, WTF?

17. 3-1: A solid first case. But that's its downfall: being a first case. It didn't go the extra mile like the amazing 4-1.

16. ME-2: I just didn't care about this case that much.

15. ME-3: I just didn't care about this case that much.

14. 4-2: A decent case. The three different mysteries in the beginning are interesting, and they all tie together nicely. But what I don't get is why Meraktis would leave a gun with the unconscious Alita when pulling the stand.

13. 4-3: Glaring plothole isn't that glaring. The gun was powerful, but it's said that you can use it if you're trained. I'm no expert, but surely there's a possibility that a 13 year old can be trained like that? Also, how did said 13 year old haul LeTouse's body up on stage? ...I don't know. >_> At least it's fun to play.

12. 2-3: It's unfortunate that people dislike this case. It actually made me think "awww Russel's such a nice guy. Why would anyone kill him?" Some excuses for it being bad are that it has annoying characters. I find them endearing. Another is that a cape snagging on the bust doesn't make sense. How about spirit channeling? That and 3-5 make a lot of sense, don't they?

11. 2-2: Ini = Mimi shocked me. And it serves as the backstory for 3-5.

10. 3-2: Double jeopardy is a good alibi. But why is Adrian such a klutz in this? Also, hats off to Kane Bullard, who is the only character we have NO information or backstory on other than his job. At least Maya lampshades this.

9. 1-3: Man, I love the Steel Samurai. But unfortunately even the Steel Samurai didn't make the final battle of ME-5 less boring.

8. ME-4: A pretty good case, and good ending too. But it would be nice if we had a wider range of suspects. We only had Badd and Yew. Sure, you can count Manny too, but you'll easily rule him out once you realize that he gets about 10 seconds of screentime.

7. ME-5: I'd rank this lower, but I can't deny that it's very good. I didn't like it much because the final battle NEVER ENDS! At one point, Alba's excuse is that he WENT TO THE BATHROOM! And after every testimony, Alba says "I have to go now". His theme starts playing. Then a "HOLD IT!" from someone. And then a new testimony. Over and over again. Even the forensics guy yells 'Hold it!'

6. 3-5: A good case, but personally it had a little too much spirit-channeling for my tastes.

5. 4-1: I really liked this case. You wouldn't think a 'first case' would be this high. You think Olga did it. I mean, she has the personality change previously seen in killers like Matt Engarde and Dahlia Hawthorne. But then you start accusing your own mentor. Great stuff.

4. 3-4: It's a good case in its own right, then the ending comes out and punches you in the face. I don't think ANYBODY saw it coming.

3. 1-4: Solid case. Not much else to say.

2. 4-4: I loved the concept of the MASON system. Also, about the time-traveling evidence: the MASON system was supposed to be a game for the jurists to understand the backstory of the case in an easy manner. It was not an accurate representation of what actually happened.

1. 2-4: No contest here, its position as #1 case is almost undisputed among fans.

---
Pokemon games aren't getting worse, you're just getting older. Take off your nostalgia glasses.
Generation IV >III > II > I.
#118DeNonno93Posted 4/28/2010 5:16:17 AM
Wow chao, incredible work, I agree with most of your points.

And, l33t_3neru, that's an amazing analysis of 2-4 you wrote there. I'm glad to see people defend JFA, since it's my favourite game in the series.

Also, 'sup. I'm a long-time lurker who registered mostly to tell you two that, but now that I'm here I might as well keep posting.

Moving on,
23. The First Turnabout
22. The Lost Turnabout
21. Turnabout Sisters
20. Turnabout Corner
19. Turnabout Memories
18. Turnabout Succession
17. Turnabout Serenade
16. Turnabout Beginnings
15. Reunion, and Turnabout
14. Turnabout Visitor
13. Turnabout Airline
12. Turnabout Samurai
11. The Kidnapped Turnabout
10. Turnabout Big Top
9. The Stolen Turnabout
8. Bridge to the Turnabout
7. Turnabout Trump
6. Turnabout Ablaze
5. Rise from the Ashes
4. Turnabout Goodbyes
3. Recipe for Turnabout
2. Turnabout Reminiscence
1. Farewell, my Turnabout
#119l33t_3neruPosted 4/28/2010 4:18:22 PM
23. The First Turnabout
22. The Lost Turnabout
21. Turnabout Sisters
20. Turnabout Corner
19. Turnabout Memories
18. Turnabout Succession
17. Turnabout Serenade
16. Turnabout Beginnings
15. Reunion, and Turnabout
14. Turnabout Visitor
13. Turnabout Airline
12. Turnabout Samurai
11. The Kidnapped Turnabout
10. Turnabout Big Top
9. The Stolen Turnabout
8. Bridge to the Turnabout
7. Turnabout Trump
6. Turnabout Ablaze
5. Rise from the Ashes
4. Turnabout Goodbyes
3. Recipe for Turnabout
2. Turnabout Reminiscence
1. Farewell, my Turnabout

Interesting. I've never seen this case ranked so highly above Turnabout Goodbyes or even Bridge To The Turnabout.
---
Tyrell Badd is the only person Gant can't raep.
#120shadow chao 10Posted 5/1/2010 10:39:02 AM
Another is that a cape snagging on the bust doesn't make sense. How about spirit channeling? That and 3-5 make a lot of sense, don't they?

What really annoys me is that EVERYONE complains about the bust thing, but nobody complains about Glen randomly winning the lottery in 3-3. That's way more unlikely than the bust/cape scenario, but I've never heard anyone criticise it once. In my view, anything goes if it makes the case interesting.

2. 4-4: I loved the concept of the MASON system. Also, about the time-traveling evidence: the MASON system was supposed to be a game for the jurists to understand the backstory of the case in an easy manner. It was not an accurate representation of what actually happened.

Didn't I already counter-argue this earlier in the topic? Mason System makes no sense whatever explanation you try and give to it. It's simply a terribly thought-out idea. It was quite fun to play, yes, but people really should stop trying to pretend it actually made sense.
---
~Space for rent~