Cross Edge Board FAQ V1 (No spoilers until marked)

#1CorkadilePosted 7/5/2009 8:05:25 PMmessage detail
There will be no spoilers until section 11, where there will be an additional spoiler warning.

Contents:

1) Difficulties

2) New Game+ (NG+)

3) Platinum Trophy

4) What does 1-1 mean? 2-3? 4-2?

5) True End

6) Party/Characters/What's the best party?!

7) Combos

8) Skills

9) Synthesis, Grade, and finding items

10) Luijt (AKA: The little pink dragon of doom)

11) Maps

12) What characters get what when

1) Difficulties

What's the difference between the difficulties?

First, enemy strength. The same enemy will have more HP and higher stats on a higher difficulty. It's also been reported that Hard yields less EXP.

Second, access to one of the postgame areas. The final postgame area, 5-3, is only available on Hard mode. Normal and Easy will not be able to enter the area.

Third, how the NG+ works. See the appropriate section for details.

All storyline scenes, items, areas, characters, skills, titles, everything is the same across all difficulties.

What difficulty should I start on?

I don't know, you're the one who's playing it.

I heard you can only get True End on Hard!

This is false information and should be ignored.

2) New Game+ (NG+)

What carries over to New Game+?

That depends on what difficulty you started on and what difficulty you're going to.

When going to the same or a lower difficulty, the following is carried over:

Skill levels.
Equipment.
Items.
Active Skills.
Encyclopedia data.
Costumes.
Titles will be re-obtainable. Any title that has to do with Encyclopedia data will be immediately available Titles for having items will need the requirements met again, so if you still have the items on hand they will be obtainable, otherwise they will not be. Titles involving battles fought, number of synths, upgrades, and the like will be carried over and the number will not be diminished. Titles for finding items from Souls will be completely reset.
Synthesis list.
Shop list.
Synthesis level.
Search level.
Money.
PP.
TP.
EP.
EX skills.

So virtually everything with the exception of your character's levels and stats. Both of these will be reset to their base values. There is no way to carry character level to NG+. You will retain EX skills, however, which are normally gained on level-up. Any used PP will also not be refunded, and will be effectively lost.

When going to a higher difficulty level, the following is carried over:

Rare composite items. Composite items that are not obtained from normal enemy drops, such as Bandage, will be lost, but rare ones such as Esoteric Jelly will be carried over.
Some Active Skills. Those with a set stat-boost, such as STR+15, will be carried over. Those with a variable or non-stat boost, such as Drop Rate, HP Up+, or Initiative, will not be carried over.
Encyclopedia data.
Costumes.
Titles will be re-obtainable. Any title that has to do with Encyclopedia data will be immediately available Titles for having items will need the requirements met again, as you no longer have the items on-hand. Titles involving battles fought, number of synths, upgrades, and the like will be carried over and the number will not be diminished. Titles for finding items from Souls will be completely reset.
Synthesis list.
Shop list.
Synthesis level.
Search level.
Money.
PP.
TP.
EP.
EX Skills.

Things NOT carried over:

Equipment.
Items, except some composite items as noted above.
Some active skills, as noted above.
Character level (as with any other NG+).
Stats (as with any other NG+).
Skill level. These will be reset to default values. You will still retain your EX skills.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET
#2Corkadile(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2009 8:05:51 PMmessage detail
2) New Game+ (NG+) [cont]

I heard you can't get True End on NG+!

False information. Don't spout something about Soul count or some nonsense, it's false information.

3) Platinum Trophy

Do I have to play on Hard to get a Platinum trophy?

No. Period. People have done it on Normal. It's also fully possible on Easy. The only extra area that Hard offers brings no new items or titles that are required for the Platinum Trophy.

4) What does 1-1 mean? 2-3? 4-2?

World-Map. So if you're on the second map of the third world, you're on 3-2. You start in 1-1. Make sense?

5) True End

How do I get True End?

This is covered in a number of posts and in the guides in the FAQs section, it will not be o

Why do I want True End?

Besides being the, well, true ending to the game, it also unlocks postgame, as well as giving a trophy. Postgame is not available on other paths.

I heard you can only get True End on Hard!

This is false information and should be ignored.

I heard you can't get True End on NG+!

False information. Don't spout something about Soul count or some nonsense, it's false information.

6) Party/Characters/What's the best party?!

How do I see what a character trait, like Float, does?

Go to Status, pick the character, press select, highlight the trait, and press X to see it's details.

What's the best party?!

One that combos well. There is no set "best party," sorry. It's really just that simple. No party does everything. At least, not at the same time. Even then, not every party is the best for the same situation. Heavy melee party? Oh look, a boss with Deep Breath, high physical DEF, DEF bonuses, and maybe Parry on top of it. Suddenly "best" is a mage-heavy party. Oh look, that boss has high RES and Perfect Barrier. Oops. Different people, different situations, figure out what works for you. Generally, you want to find a balance. The worst party in the game is one that doesn't combo well.

Who should I use?

Okay, now this is tricky with what I just said in the last one. Here are some suggestions, and they are that and nothing more, just personal opinions, but ones that quite a few seem to agree with.

York has sticky fingers, and this is very helpful. His Snipe skill, obtained early, steals items. Useful His Faceoff EX skill steals Rare items. VERY useful. Between the two, he's pretty nice to have around. Also forced to use him in a moderate number of story battles.

Aurica is your first healer. She's suggested early on, and you may well just keep her, due to having three elements of Enchant IIs to make combos with and one of the two H-Enchant 3s in the game. Her weakness is that she has no way to do Ragnarok, the best magic combo, herself, and her heal isn't really that strong later and doesn't heal status effects, so she's by no means perfect.

Raze is a self-comboer early and a self Mic-comboer a bit later on top of it, and is one of if not the worst offended of being forced on you in story-battles. He's also by no means weak, and uses daggers with, especially early on, give a rather large amount of AP, which can be useful.

Felicia is a powerhouse. Getting almost the whole C-Skill line herself as well as most of the D-Skill line, she combos well physically and gets the useful Potential trait fairly early. She has no magic and only one area-attack, so she's by no means perfect, but a powerhouse nonetheless.

Again, there are just some opinions, do not take them as end-all fact. Use who you want. Just make sure they can combo, or you're going to have issues.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET
#3Corkadile(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2009 8:06:43 PMmessage detail
7) Combos

How on earth do combos work?

You put attacks with other attacks. They all follow pattern. Which pattern depends on what kind of skill.

To see what type a skill is, in the menu press triangle on that skill, or during battle press select and then the corresponding button. Physical moves are all color-coded as well, and the Enchant moves all have different icons, then each is numbered, so it is possible to tell at a glance, but you have to get used to it.

To perform any branch combo, YOU MUST USE SKILLS OF THE SAME TYPE. For example, two A-Skills or two B-Skills. The order does NOT matter, doing a C-Skill II and then a C-Skill I will still result in an AtkRank I. After the combo is done, what type of skill is used can be changed, but attacks within the same combo MUST BE THE SAME TYPE.

Attack Combos: These are performed by chaining attack skills. There are four types of attack skills: A, B, C, and D (R-Skills work differently than these) and five levels: I, II, III, IV, and V. The actual combo that is performed depends on what type you choose, but there is a general formula:

AtkRank I = X-Skill I + X-Skill II
AtkRank II = AtkRank I + X-Skill I + X-Skill II
AtkRank III = AtkRank II + X-Skill II + X-Skill III
AtkRank IV = AtkRank III + X-Skill III + X-Skill IV
AtkRank V = AtkRank IV + X-Skill IV + X-Skill V
AtkRank VI = AtkRank V + X-Skill V + R-Skill III

Note: X stands for the type of skill; A, B, C, or D. To perform each rank of combo, X must be the same. Notice that you must perform the combos in order of ascending Rank.

Range Combos: These are performed by chaining Range skills. There is only one type of each Range combo skill, and the combo works as the following:

Range I = R-Skill I + R-Skill I + R-Skill I
Range II = Range Combo I + R-Skill I + R-Skill II
Range III = Range combo II + R-Skill II + R-Skill III
Range IV = Range Combo III + R-Skill I + R-Skill II + R-Skill III

Magic Combos: These are performed by chaining magic skills, which are designated as "Enchants" rather than "Skills."

There are 8 types of each of the first three branches, one for each element, and four levels, the fourth always being non-elemental.

MagRank I = X-Enchant I + X-Enchant I + X-Enchant II
MagRank II = MagRank I + X-Enchant II + X-Enchant III
MagRank III = MagRank II + X-Enchant II + X-Enchant III + X-Enchant III
MagRank IV = MagRank III + X-Enchant III + X-Enchant III

Like with Attack combos, X must be the same during each rank, but can be changed from rank to rank.

Mix Combos: Now this is where things get complicated. These combos involve multiple types of skills. There are seven for the first rank, one for each element except non-elemental, eight for the second rank, and only one for the third rank.

MixRank I = AtkRank I + X-Enchant II + X-Enchant II
MixRank II = MixRank I + Range Combo II + X-Enchant III
MixRank III = MixRank II + Range Combo III + H-Enchant III

NOTE: There is an exception to this. [AtkRank I + H-Enchant II + H-Enchant II] should make a MixRank I combo, but it does not, it makes a MixRank II. You can not do a MixRank I with H-Enchants, and you can not do a MixRank II in the normal fashion with H-Enchants. The MixRank III requires H-Enchant III, no other Enchant III will work.

Extra Combos: These are performed by chaining certain EX Skills together. While most of the attacks fit in specific slots like regular combos, it's more complicated and there are a lot of exceptions, with no real patten to it, so these tend to be a ton harder, and I will not be going into them.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET
#4Corkadile(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2009 8:07:13 PMmessage detail
7) Combos [cont]

What are some of the shorthand things people use?

Generally, people have been cutting out the "Skill" portion and doing a dash and then the number of the skill. So "C-Skill IV" becomes "C-4." Quite a lot shorter, no? Range Skills become R-#, and Enchants, well, we still stick with Enchant generally, but it becomes like A-Enchant 2.

8) Skills

Why can't I equip some of my skills, like York's Snipe?

Because you don't have the appropriate slot on your weapon. Each skill is one of three types; Normal (yellow straight arrow), Burst (red up arrow), or Down (blue down arrow). They take a slot of the same type to equip. Say, Snipe is a Normal type, and York's first gun only has a Down slot, which is what Quick Shot is. So in order to equip Snipe, you need a new gun. There are also weapons later with ALL slots that will allow any kind of skill to be equipped to them.

How do I get new skills?

Level your current skills. Each new skill requires levels of old skills. What skills require what will be in one of the later sections, as that has character spoilers.

How does skill leveling work?

Skills level by use of the skill. Each use of the skill rewards Skill EXP, which I'm going to shorten to SXP from here because I'll be saying it a lot. SXP gained does not happen until the battle is won, fleeing a battle forfeits any SXP that would have been gained, and the bar on the skill will not move until after the battle. How much SXP gained depends on the level of the target. Not compared to the user's level, just the target's. Rule boils down to "the stronger the enemy, the more SXP is gives." How fast the bar fills depends on the skill and it's level, there is no way to see any number. Hitting multiple enemies with a skill that hits an area will award SXP for each target hit. Missing a target still gives SXP. Doing zero damage still gives SXP. The enemy absorbing the attack still gives SXP. The target already being fully Overkilled when attacked still gives SXP. So any time the skill is used, regardless of it's effectiveness, gives SXP.

What are some of the shorthand things people use?

Generally, people have been cutting out the "Skill" portion and doing a dash and then the number of the skill. So "C-Skill IV" becomes "C-4." Quite a lot shorter, no? Range Skills become R-#, and Enchants, well, we still stick with Enchant generally, but it becomes like A-Enchant 2.

How do I use EX skills?

Press R2 in battle to change to the character's EX Skill list. EX skills cost both AP and SP, SP is the yellow/orange/red bars on the upper right bar, and fill as battle progresses, specifically through kills (either side), combos, and damage (either side).

How do I learn new EX Skills?

Level. The second set of EX skills is learned at 25, and the third at 50.

9) Synthesis, Grade, and finding items

What does Grade level do?

Grade level increases the maximum Grade on the item. There are five bars, each one full is a Grade level. When all five are full, the item is a maximum Grade level.

How do I increase Grade level?

Optional items to add to synthesis will increase the Grade level, Sagestone is the best item for this. Marie's Synthesis level will add to the Grade level. There is also a small random factor.

What does Marie's Synthesis level do?

Increases Grade level. Nothing more.

Where do I find [Item]?

Check the FAQs. Most of them are in the Bestiary. Anything not in there is usually Converted from something else. CTRL + F in there is your friend.

How do I Convert items?

Raise it's level to 5, then click it again and hit yes.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET
#5Corkadile(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2009 8:07:47 PMmessage detail
9) Synthesis, Grade, and finding items [cont]

How do I know what items convert into?

On the Synthesis or Upgrade screen, press R2 until it shows what the conversion item is on the left.

10) Luijt (AKA: The pink dragon of doom)

Oh my god I'm in Hellzit and this level 120 thing just killed me!

We know. That's Luijt. He does that. Whoever decided to put him there was insane and/or evil. Not really a lot you can do about it. Try to run (likely fail), unless you're thinking...

So... how do I kill this monstrosity?

Well now, that's a whole different ballgame. Generally, especially if you want to do it early, killing Luijt involves getting everyone in the back row except one person in the front, killing all the enemies except Luijt, and then just staying alive until you have enough SP to hit it with EX attacks to kill it. Luijt, and enemies similar to it, all have both the Perfect Barrier and Parry skills, which means that under 25% HP it will dodge ALL attacks except EX attacks (which never miss) or attacks made by someone with Good Shot active (makes all attacks 100% accurate). It's also just really naturally evasive.

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS PAST THIS POINT***
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
***POTENTIAL SPOILERS PAST THIS POINT***

11) Maps

http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=81&file=1-1.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=82&file=2-1.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=84&file=3-1.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=83&file=2-2.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=88&file=1-2.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=89&file=1-3.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=90&file=2-3.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=91&file=3_2.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=92&file=3_3.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=111&file=4_1.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=112&file=4-2.jpg
http://www20.atwiki.jp/xege?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=115&file=4-3.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/Corkadile/lq51.jpg

Credit to the Wiki site for 1-1 through 4-3. Credit to me with additions by DoomtrainGF and Busard for 5-1.

12) What characters get what when

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=roAm_bOGyKQJmVR5EdAUwFQ&output=html
Credit to XForce23 for this fine work.

YOU ARE NOW FREE TO POST
(and/or worship me.)
---
This guy is not what he pretends to be. He's the Devil.
#6foreverdone20Posted 7/5/2009 8:13:02 PMmessage detail
leveling up trick.

since its based on your party average VS. enemies level.

at the beginning of the game, have Morrigan(lvl1) and Marie(lvl2) died right away. later in the game, put them(still dead) in your party to bring your party average down.
#7KoolaPosted 7/5/2009 8:13:58 PMmessage detail
Question!

Is there a reason for me to finish my topics that involve all the titles?

The largest FAQ here has the majority of the titles and rewards in it... I feel like there's no point now.

Also, I requested a sticky.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYzsRMaQpo
#8Corkadile(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2009 8:15:58 PMmessage detail
*Shurgs*

That's up to you. If you don't wanna, don't.
---
This guy is not what he pretends to be. He's the Devil.
#9KoolaPosted 7/5/2009 8:18:49 PMmessage detail

*Shurgs*

That's up to you. If you don't wanna, don't.

Man, I was gonna write up a FAQ and everything...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYzsRMaQpo
#10DemusPosted 7/5/2009 8:50:20 PMmessage detail
Sticky requested.

IT'LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS MINE UNTIL IT GETS AS OUTDATED AS MINE
---
Once upon a time there was a short story. The end.
""󤺰󤺰""