This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tips on catching roaming Pokemon?

#1ZeroKaiserPosted 3/26/2009 12:48:09 AM
These things seem impossible to catch... I'm trying to catch Mesprit. I use Max Repel, set a level 50 Gengar as my first Pokemon, and I proceed to fly around Sinnoh using the Marking Map as a guide. Mesprit keeps flying off to other areas, and when I fly near to it's new spot, it flies off again.

Am I doing it wrong?
---
Originally Posted by olaph
'i accidently banned myself for 8 hours'
#2__Sachiko__Posted 3/26/2009 12:50:52 AM
Don't fly. That makes the pokemon fly further away. What I did was go to Valley Windworks.. And go back and forth from Route 205 to Floaroma Town. And Check each time the map changed, eventually the poke would go into route 205 at the honey tree. I'd go up and get her, walking that is.. and get the battle that way.
#3BikdipOnABusPosted 3/26/2009 12:51:22 AM
Don't fly, just walk between two connected routes - I used Route 205 and Valley Windworks. Keep refreshing the map every time you switch, and eventually it will show up on the route you're on.

I also suggest using a Wobbuffet to trap it (available after you have the National Dex - get a high level one at Lake Acuity) instead of something with Mean Look. Gengar and Crobat, the most common Mean Lookers, are both weak to Psychic attacks, and Wobbuffet will resist them. (Umbreon is good, but it takes a long time for it to learn that, and if you're not already using one, it's not worth training it.) The only harder part is that you'll have to weaken it with other Pokemon over several encounters before trapping it and trying to catch it, but overall it will be easier because you won't have to heal as often.
---
Jeigan would make an epic joke character. He would be like Lucario except he would get worse as the match went on. - Snakey
#4RsteubePosted 3/26/2009 12:52:57 AM
www.google.com

type " how to catch mesprit"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cGepgn8TPw

profit.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/rsteube
#5AzureHuntressPosted 3/26/2009 12:54:49 AM
Do what I do.

Breed a Male Ralts with Mean Look, level it up enough to learn Hypnosis, evolve it into Kirlia, then Gallade, and finally teach it False Swipe via TM.

Now, as soon as the battle starts, use Mean Look. Then False Swipe it down to 1 HP, and Hypnosis.

Then simply chuck balls at it.
---
My Pokemon:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ia4dq1.jpg
#6BikdipOnABusPosted 3/26/2009 12:57:23 AM
^ That requires a lot of time and effort, plus you have to use up a Dawn Stone. Just using something strong-but-not-strong-enough-to-OHKO-it and the Wobbuffet is the simplest method. I got both runners, plus the Lati twins in Sapphire and Emerald, by using that method, and none took more than an hour, with no prep work whatsoever.

Or you could just use the Gengar like you wanted to, but be warned that it's going to take super effective hits.
---
Jeigan would make an epic joke character. He would be like Lucario except he would get worse as the match went on. - Snakey
#7Chris_Lv255Posted 3/26/2009 1:43:57 AM
Trappass Umbreon -> Sporeswiper 'Loom for non-Roaring runners.
Migrate Master Balls from FRLG/RSE for Roarers.

Legacy carts = crazy Master Ball/TM hijinks without hax.
---
Pokemon Diamond: 4424 8048 1193
Crusher CONNECT! GOLDION CRUSHER! HIKARI NI NAREEEEEEEE!