This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are IV's and EV's???

#1johnagodPosted 4/4/2009 5:12:27 AM

There is so much talk about them but what are they???

#2rano30Posted 4/4/2009 5:17:04 AM
Indiviual Value points and Effort Value points
IVs go up to 31 and dont come in to effect until level 100.
EVs are a bit different, I dont remember the total number of them, I believe it is in the 500s and you get them by batteling specific pokemon that have those EV points. You get EV points anytime you get expierence points, and you can no longer attain them when you reach level 100. Also you can only put a certain amount of EV points in one specific stat, that number is in the 200s you can look it up on the FAQs if you'd like to know the specifics.

Both of those are just used for competitive batteling, you dont need them for beating the Gym Leaders or E4 ingame.
---
I am free of all prejudices,
I hate everyone equally.
#3johnagod(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2009 5:19:56 AM

eh ....... ok thanks

#4Crowned_ClownPosted 4/4/2009 5:25:51 AM
EV total is 510.
#5blaziken9190Posted 4/4/2009 5:28:14 AM
and 255 per stat
---
Pokemon Platinum Name: Crooked, FC: 4855 2442 4223
Pokemon Diamond Name: CROOKED, FC: 1548 1224 6572
#6Crowned_ClownPosted 4/4/2009 5:32:14 AM
Most common EV spread is 4/252/252.

As every 4 EVs get you a +1 on that stat(252 EVs = +63).
#7MaurithPosted 4/4/2009 5:37:58 AM
IVs = The random values assigned to a Pokemon's stats that makes it so that more than one of the same Pokemon never (well, extremely rarely) have the exactly the same stats, even with the same nature. These can't be changed without hacking. High IVs obviously makes a better Pokemon. The best a Pokemon can get with these is if it has 31 in each stat (31 is the highest IV value).

EVs = Hidden values a Pokemon gets each time it KOs another Pokemon. Every Pokemon will give you a certain amount of points in a particular stat. For example, KOing a Blissey will give you 3 EVs in Hit Points, and KOing a Geodude will give you 1 EV in Defense. EVs boost a particular stat by 1 for every 4 EV points you earn towards them. You can't assign more than 255 (I think) EVs to an individual stat, and can't earn any more EVs after 510 (I think) in total.

You can probably see why EVs and IVs are so important in competitive battling now, they can boost a Pokemon's stats a fair bit to help them reach maximum potential.
---
You're unique, just like everyone else.
#8BakastaPosted 4/4/2009 5:52:39 AM
IVs = The random values assigned to a Pokemon's stats that makes it so that more than one of the same Pokemon never (well, extremely rarely) have the exactly the same stats, even with the same nature. These can't be changed without hacking. High IVs obviously makes a better Pokemon. The best a Pokemon can get with these is if it has 31 in each stat (31 is the highest IV value).

can i do it with out hacking???please answer
and can i ivs all 31 ??
---
MY Real Nane is : A7mdo
#9BaLLsOuT892Posted 4/4/2009 5:54:46 AM
How much of a difference do IV's make?

Me and my brother were thinking about EV training, but breeding for IV's doesn't sound like too much fun either >_>
---
PSN: BaLLsOuT892
#10Hikaru IchijoePosted 4/4/2009 7:59:04 PM
can i do it with out hacking???please answer
and can i ivs all 31 ??

You can manipulate them, to a degree, through breeding. 3 IV's are randomly taken from either parent, with the other 3 being randomly generated by the game so if you've got parents with rather high IV's, then their kids would have at least 3 stats that would be high, with another 3 that are completely random. At least I think that's how it went. It's been awhile since I've gone to the diamond boards or had to breed any Pokemon so I don't really remember but I'm fairly certain it worked that way...

As for the maximum IV's question, not without either an extremely high amount of luck, or through hax...

How much of a difference do IV's make?

At level 100, the only time they actually "appear", anywhere from 0 to 31 extra points in any given stat.

For example, say you have an Adamant Machop at level 100, full EV trained in Attack, with 0 IV's in Attack, and an attack stat of 100. Compared to a lvl 100 Adamant Machop, fully EV trained, with 31 IV's in Attack, the one with the maximum IV's would have an attack stat of 131, and therefore be the stronger of the two.
---
Number of people smacked by the moldy fish - Many+1
"OK I'm telling you now YYH and DBZ are made by the same people thats why its the same."-Goku52