This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

item for infernape?

#1HailFire128Posted 8/31/2009 3:07:54 PM
i'm struggling to think of an item that's best for my infernape to use. here's it's moveset:

Shadow Claw (or maybe U-Turn)
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Flare Blitz

Nature: Naive, EV: 4HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed

i'm deciding between focus sash due to fragility, Expert Belt (boost without consequence), and Choice Band (which i'd have U-turn instead). I know Life Orb is a good item for what i hear, but i feel uncomfortable having an item that lowers HP. what's your advice?

btw, yes. i have been to smogon.
---
Syllabik [Sneak Attack]ed my Update Betting Game!
#2infringement153Posted 8/31/2009 3:09:01 PM
Ignoring the bad moveset, yes, life orb would be the superior option, as Infernape is dying in one hit anyways.
---
Plat FC: 5284 8178 4520-Voice chat off
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad186/infringement153/diploma-1.jpg
#3infringement153Posted 8/31/2009 3:11:40 PM
THough maybe that would be a good moveset, depending on your teams needs. What do I know?

Anyways, never use bandape, as ape is more for wallbreaking and end game cleaning, and focus sash is an option ifyou have rapid spin support. Expert belt is still a good idea, depending on what the rest of your team handles.
---
Plat FC: 5284 8178 4520-Voice chat off
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad186/infringement153/diploma-1.jpg
#4Knuckles_6Posted 8/31/2009 3:22:51 PM
Scarf or CB. LO is a waste if it isn't statting up or mixed.
---
Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself~ Bender
I'm the only thing I'm afraid of.
#5HailFire128(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2009 3:24:01 PM
how is that a bad moveset? it hits 12 of 17 types and it's all attack to take advantage of one stat instead of splitting the stats in 2.
---
#6ChocoboMog123Posted 8/31/2009 3:29:41 PM
BandApe is great. Has plenty of room to be twinked to your needs.

I can't think of any reason for Shadow Claw. Fire Blast and Flareblitz do more damage, and Fire Punch actually does comparable damage to anything except, maybe, less bulky Rotom formes.

Focus Sash basically shouldn't be used on anything that's not a lead. Even if you've got Rapid Spin support, Infernape is MUCH better off with something that boosts his damage.

If you're uncomfortable with Flare Blitz + Life Orb, don't use them both! Actually, I can't really think of any reasonable situation in which you'd want Flare Blitz on anything but a Band set (harder/ impossible to Fire sweep with Overheat/ Fire Blast, but stopping a Flare Blitz sweep is easy enough). Either replace Flare Blitz with Fire Blast or Overheat, or run Band.

Shadow Claw has plenty of moves that can replace it. U-turn, Grass Knot, or Mach Punch are decent decisions, depending on the set, what you want to do, and the rest of the team.
---
To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise.What a wonderful world such would be...
#7HailFire128(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2009 3:39:23 PM
hmm, i guess choice band it is.

btw, i know shadow claw isn't great, i was just worried about psychic moves since half the team is weak to it. that's why i'll probably change it to u-turn.
---
#8HailFire128(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2009 3:43:16 PM
btw, i'm wondering about an item for my gengar also. kind of the same but with special attacks. i'm thinking either expert belt or a choice item also. any suggestions?
---
#9PokerChamp42Posted 8/31/2009 4:08:49 PM
Don't use a physical set with a Naive nature.

Physical Ape should be Jolly/Adamant.

Don't lower your defenses unless you're going mixed.

---
I don't like adults with imaginary friends. Please don't litter your mind.
Proud to be free from religion. Proud to be vegetarian. Animals deserve better.
#10PokerChamp42Posted 8/31/2009 4:11:05 PM
Actually, I can't really think of any reasonable situation in which you'd want Flare Blitz on anything but a Band set (harder/ impossible to Fire sweep with Overheat/ Fire Blast, but stopping a Flare Blitz sweep is easy enough).

Swords Dance with both Close Combat and Flare Blitz makes a powerful (albeit suicidal) wall-breaker. +2 Flare Blitz breaks stuff like Gliscor that can take Fire Punch.

---
I don't like adults with imaginary friends. Please don't litter your mind.
Proud to be free from religion. Proud to be vegetarian. Animals deserve better.