This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hitmonlee moveset

#1SamuraiLloydPosted 9/4/2009 10:41:41 AM
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan aren't talked about too often lately so i think we should gear some attention over to them. Hitmonlee is known as the Kicking Fiend in most Pokemon adaptations, a lot of "Competitive Movesets" don't seem to follow this nickname by giving him moves like Sucker Punch (i can see this one being used however as it lets him take care of Psychics), Mach Punch and so forth. However, there is a way to make Hitmonlee a Kicking Pokemon like he's meant to be, you just have to think about it.

Nature: Adamant
Item: Choice Band, Expert Belt, Leftovers or Muscle Band
Ability: Reckless
Moves:
Blaze Kick
Sucker Punch
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Double-Edge
Hi Jump Kick
EVs: 255 Attack, 255 Speed

Reasoning: Blaze Kick allows him to take care of various threats that might be in his way such as Grass and Ice Pokemon. Sucker Punch, as stated before, let's him take care of Psychics. It's not a kicking move but it has it's purpose. Earthquake and Stone Edge his decent type coverage and Double-Edge gains a boost from the ability Reckless. Now here's where people might think I'm nuts. Hi Jump Kick is Hitmonlee's Signature attack and fairly powerful as well. However, people might look at this Moveset as say "Fail, Close Combat is better than Hi Jump Kick" however, if you think about it, they would be wrong. Reckless boosts moves that have Recoil Damage but what some people DON'T know is that Reckless also applies to moves that do Crash Damage (namely, Hi Jump Kick). I think it's pretty much self explanatory from there.
---
The Ninja of Love and Justice, Bang Shishigami, is here!!
#2Knuckles_6Posted 9/4/2009 10:45:42 AM
EQ is redundant with stab a fighting move and so is blaze kick.

run
hi jump kick/close combat
stone edge
double edge
sucker punch

with LO or CB
---
Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself~ Bender
I'm the only thing I'm afraid of.
#3PokerChamp42Posted 9/4/2009 10:49:19 AM
Competitive battling doesn't care about a pokemon's design.

It doesn't matter if Hitmonlee is supposed to fight using kicks, that has no bearing when making a competitive build.

Close Combat >>>>>>> Hi Jump Kick.

Hi Jump Kick with a Reckless boost only has the same power as Close Combat, except it doesn't have 100% accuracy, and when you miss Hi Jump Kick you actually do massive damage to yourself. That = fail.

Plus Limber is a very useful ability.

Hitmonlee is basically a Choice user with Close Combat, EQ, Stone Edge, and Blaze Kick / Sucker Punch.

---
I don't like adults with imaginary friends. Please don't litter your mind.
Proud to be free from religion. Proud to be vegetarian. Animals deserve better.
#4PokerChamp42Posted 9/4/2009 10:51:03 AM
EQ is redundant with stab a fighting move and so is blaze kick.

In the UU tier, EQ is more useful for hitting Nidoqueen, who resists both CC/SE.

Plus EQ has good neutral power vs a variety of CC-resistors like Grass/Poisons and Psychics.

---
#5CBAriadosFTWPosted 9/4/2009 10:52:13 AM
wow, hi jump kick has 100 power. with reckless, it only reaches 120. Therefore, you suggest a move when another move has the same power, more accuracy, and no recoil. You fail
---
73.1162% of all people put random percentages in their sig to illustrate unproven facts. If you are one of the 26.8838% who doesn't, don't put this in your sig
#6SamuraiLloyd(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2009 10:56:27 AM
"wow, hi jump kick has 100 power. with reckless, it only reaches 120. Therefore, you suggest a move when another move has the same power, more accuracy, and no recoil. You fail"

I'd like to point out that Close Combat DOES in fact have a "form" of recoil. It's recoil is the the drop in Defense and Special Defense. This doesn't technically count as Recoil in most cases (and certainly not in the case of Reckless) but still, it's a recoil.
---
#7PokerChamp42Posted 9/4/2009 10:58:37 AM
No, it's not recoil.

Hitmonlee can't take hits anyway, you think it cares much about the defense drops?

---
#8SamuraiLloyd(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2009 11:09:08 AM
"No, it's not recoil.

Hitmonlee can't take hits anyway, you think it cares much about the defense drops?"

The way i see it, if a move does something Negative to the user, it has Recoil. The ones that deal damage to a user are the "True" recoil moves but by the definition of the word Recoil, my logic makes sense. Also, i don't want you to think I'm dismissing the move Close Combat, I'm not. I'd put Close Combat with a Hitmonlee that has Limber as an ability instead of Hi Jump Kick as that move fits better with Reckless. Think of this moveset as something more gimmicky and something one would more likely use in-game.
---
#9Intro1827Posted 9/4/2009 11:10:47 AM
Why is everyone still arguing?
Limber + CC > Reckless + HJK
---
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
#10PokerChamp42Posted 9/4/2009 11:48:29 AM
The way i see it, if a move does something Negative to the user, it has Recoil. The ones that deal damage to a user are the "True" recoil moves but by the definition of the word Recoil, my logic makes sense.

Sorry, you don't get to define terms. If Close Combat were a "recoil" move Reckless would power it up as well, now wouldn't it?

Think of this moveset as something more gimmicky and something one would more likely use in-game.

Anything works in-game so there's no point in discussing what you want to use in-game.

Gimmicky =/= good.

---