This game is insanely hard so far

#1WintermoorPosted 2/20/2012 10:06:42 PM
So I just picked this up and am following along with one of the guides on normal difficulty and got to the first alfheim portal. I have tried a dozen times to do this, closest I've gotten is to the last wave before I either get killed or the time limit runs out. Am i overlooking something or am i not supposed to be attempting these on a ng?
---
PSN: Wintermoor99
#2ACgreen1foteenPosted 2/20/2012 10:27:40 PM
One important battle mechanic, is Witch Time. Dodge an attack at the last possible second and you'll "freeze time," so to speak. During Witch Time, your combos count for much more and you'll gain the advantage on the offensive.

Learn this tactic and you'll definitely be coming out of fights as the victor.
---
" Eye of the tiger!"
- Apollo Creed, Rocky III
#3Wintermoor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2012 10:43:53 PM
The enemies don't take damage unless you're in witch time, which make sit harder because if you dodge and don't activate it, it wastes time and they don't spam moves too often so you have to wait for them to try and make a move.
i gave up on that one and now I'm at a two-headed dragon boss and I can't even shave a quarter of its hp off without getting mauled. :s
---
#4ACgreen1foteenPosted 2/20/2012 11:17:07 PM
It'll be very beneficial if you took the time to learn to activate Witch Time. You can always go to chapter select and practice in the Vestibule.

If worse comes to worse, you could buy the Selene's Light accessory. As long as you have Magic Power, it'll activate Witch Time whenever you're hit.

If you have any questions, I'll try to help out as much as possible.
---
" Eye of the tiger!"
- Apollo Creed, Rocky III
#5nouseravailablePosted 2/21/2012 8:18:09 AM
First alfheim is a wake up call. I think you should ignore it and try to get used to the mechanics ;o. My first alf was arround chapter 3 (it was the first i found). Keep in mind that you can replay the chapter, get the alfheim, quit the chapter to selection screen and still keep w/e you got. The game is hard but user friendly to some extent. Oh yeah Alfheims are suposed to be extra challenging too.
---
quem plantar a paz, vai colher amor
um grito forte de liberdade na estacao primeira ecoou! ~Estacao Primeira de Mangueira
#6Wintermoor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 8:33:26 PM
i'm a little stunned by this game's 'normal' difficulty, i didn't have this much trouble with dark souls :/
i've given up on every alfheim i've come across and i've been stuck on the dragon boss in chapter 2 since yesterday, i was really not expecting this when i picked up the game lol
---
#7Wintermoor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 8:34:02 PM
Not only that but the load times are painful and you have to load through cut scenes after every death -_-
---
#8CBratePosted 2/23/2012 6:07:03 AM
I'm assuming you patched the game and then took advantage of the 'install' option. It makes the load times much more managable.

---
Hue hue hue, Slash L, Hue hue hue, Baby.
#9holden523Posted 2/23/2012 5:08:09 PM
I'm on my first playthrough also, really kicked my butt at first. i went back and replayed the first few levels, and eventually started getting used to dodging, which is vital. Pick a few combos you like and stick with them, and you'll be ok. Also, I like the sword much better than the guns, try it out once you get the LP for it.
#10nouseravailablePosted 2/23/2012 5:22:29 PM
holden523 posted...
Also, I like the sword much better than the guns, try it out once you get the LP for it.

I only started to use the sword much later, i also liked it better then the guns. Im near the end of my hard playthrough now and i am using mostly the claws and sword. Tbh, my ass is being kicked again xD, last chapter i died 6 times before i finished it. This game is kinda sadistic, still awesome...
---
quem plantar a paz, vai colher amor
um grito forte de liberdade na estacao primeira ecoou! ~Estacao Primeira de Mangueira