Just Starting This...

#1Hotel_SecurityPosted 5/27/2012 2:51:58 PM
Hello Bayonetta fans,

Just started this game not too long ago. Got through the prologue a bit and had to take a break due the severe sensory overload and to shake off the four or five seizures it caused me.

So far battles seem like total chaos. I tried practicing all the combos but there's so many that I can't keep track of them and really have no clue what combo does what or which seems better than others. Heck, I rarely can tell what combo I've pulled off and I always have trouble with those combos which require a short pause between presses as I usually go too long or two short and this one seems like yet another one of those.

So far, everything seems to be working, however...I guess we'll have to see. Any "money" combos I should be trying...i:e: simple ones used for launching or other such antics. Any good application of the guns here or there? As for abilities I've heard air dash is useful and I'd imagine that's a no-brainer.
#2Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 2:59:13 PM
Also, I see many folks post about downloading the patch so you can install the game to reduce load times. I saw a patch of some sort install when I first started the game...did that install the game or does it just give you an option and you have to do it from the main menu or something?
#3Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 4:24:20 PM
^Blarg. Forget this question. It's right on the main bloody menu. I'm blind as a bat apparently.

As an apology, here's some Wang Chung: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg-Ur_2gOls
#4ACgreen1foteenPosted 5/27/2012 5:05:05 PM
I can tell you for a fact that one way to "sort" out the enemies is that virtually every enemy attack comes with an attack audio cue. For example, an Affinity (bird like angels) gives off a somewhat "shining light" type of cue before taking a swing at you. Those audio cues can give you a clue of when to hit the dodge button so you can enter Witch Time, where you can simply wail on enemies however you want.

As for combos, it's all up to your imagination on what you want to string together. A very quick and easy combo is the PKP. It's by far the quickest way to get out a Wicked Weave attack that does massive damage. If you're looking for launching combos, PPKP or PPPKP will launch the enemy up, where you can continue your combo.

The use of the guns is simply to prolong your combos without it resetting. You'll notice that to the upper-right hand corner of the screen is your combo counter. Shooting the enemies give you some slight points, but the main objective is so that your combo multiplier doesn't reset, netting you more halos for the combos you've performed. Another way to prolong your combo or keep the combo counter from resetting is taunting. That's the L1 button. Holding it down will make Bayonetta taunt for about 3-5 seconds and tapping it will make her do a quick one. Taunting is also useful for building your Magic meter.

Just try and make sure you learn the dodge mechanics. It'll be useful since combos done during Witch Time also gives more points.
---
" Eye of the tiger!"
- Apollo Creed, Rocky III
#5Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 8:32:36 PM
Ah good tips, sir. PKP does seem to be useful. I'm trying to find better combos to unleash while in Witch Time but half the time I kinda forget what my combos are and kinda just luck into one. Good tips on guns and taunting to keep it going but I've never been one for keeping a hit counter up.

Evading isn't an issue as it's pretty similar to parrying that's in many of these DMC/God of War type games so I'm fairly solid at that. So far there's been little challenge and I'm kinda annoyed when I get hit...I do wish these games would unlock the harder difficulties from the start. Even got a couple pure platinums without specifically trying.

Good accessories to save up for? Perhaps the one that makes Witch Time easier to get?

Also, if I forget an item to collect (looking at a guide, I see I missed the Chapter 1 Aelfinn) can you go back, get the item and then quit it and you'll keep it? Or do you have to keep playing the whole thing?

Also, I saw something on how to save while within a chapter but it don't seem to work. I quit to the level-select menu and then turned it off and hit Continue but it just put me at the start of the Chapter again (but saved my collected items). Any way to continue in the middle?
#6ACgreen1foteenPosted 5/27/2012 10:17:28 PM(edited)
I'm trying to find better combos to unleash while in Witch Time but half the time I kinda forget what my combos are and kinda just luck into one.

Don't worry so much about performing every combo listed in the loading screen. You can pretty much just stick to the ones you remember. A Wicked Weave or a rocket from Kilgore (the rocket launcher found in Chapter 9 after obtaining all pieces of its LP) will help to reset the combo counter. But, more on that later if you have questions about it. However, aside from the ones listed in my previous post, another good combo is PPPPK, especially once you obtain Kilgore.

Good accessories to save up for? Perhaps the one that makes Witch Time easier to get?

Since you've mentioned parrying, I assume you like having that trait. You can save up for the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, if you're keen on parrying. It's almost an absolute necessity once you reach higher difficulties.

There are two accessories off the top of my head that will make Witch Time easier - Selene's Light and Bracelet of Time. Selene's Light will automatically put you in Witch Time every time you're hit, as long as you've got Magic stocked. The amount of Witch Time you get is based on how many Magic orbs are lit. Bracelet of Time lets you control when you want to Witch Time by pushing the Taunt/L1 button. However, you have to unlock this accessory by completing the game in less than 3 hours. It also drains your Magic rather quickly, so use it strategically.

Also, if I forget an item to collect (looking at a guide, I see I missed the Chapter 1 Aelfinn) can you go back, get the item and then quit it and you'll keep it? Or do you have to keep playing the whole thing?

Once you've completed a chapter, you can always go back and play for missed items, better scores, etc. All you have to do is press R1 before starting a chapter. That will bring up options where you can select completed chapters, game options, costumes, etc. Once you've obtained the item or treasure you want, you can quit the chapter (via pressing Start) and it'll automatically save. No worries about having to complete the entire chapter for a specific item.

I quit to the level-select menu and then turned it off and hit Continue but it just put me at the start of the Chapter again (but saved my collected items). Any way to continue in the middle?

You'll notice that usually after every Verse/battle, there's a "saving" logo on the lower right hand corner of the screen. This feature is the auto-save and once you see it disappear, you can quit to the Title screen and then continue on from there. If you quit to the chapter select screen, you'll overwrite the "temporary" save point (i.e. where you left off in the middle of a chapter).

Sorry for the long post, but hope this information helps clear things.
---
" Eye of the tiger!"
#7Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 11:39:43 PM
No issues with long posts here...it's good to clear things up. I'm trying to collect everything I can on my first playthrough. I'm playing through each chapter then I check a guide to see what I missed and then go back to get stuff. No biggie as I could use the extra Halos anyway. The Aelfinn's seem to be taking up the most of my time and they're fairly creative. Enjoyed the one where it limited my punches and kicks...had to use the breakdancing gun combo where you twirl the L button for those.

Been looking for a good place to go for the "kill five angered dudes" trophy but it's a pain as angering them in the first place is the challenge. I suppose I can just wait til I get the accessory that pisses them off for me...

Will definitely look into the parrying item...don't have the cash for any accessory yet but I'm saving up.

I do wish the collections guide mentioned the crows...I'm sure I've missed a few and it's a bit incomplete without them...
#8ACgreen1foteenPosted 5/28/2012 12:28:13 AM
Just a bit of advice; some of the Alfhiems can be completed much easier with a fuller and versatile arsenal. But, of course, you can go head on and complete the challenge whenever you'd like!

The crows/Umbran Tears of Blood are scattered throughout the difficulties on Normal and higher. You'll need to go through the game at least 3 times to collect them all.
---
" Eye of the tiger!"
#9Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 12:23:39 PM
Just a bit of advice; some of the Alfhiems can be completed much easier with a fuller and versatile arsenal.

I kinda figured that but I like the challenge of getting them. I mean, if I'm able to get them with reasonable effort then I might as well try. Like I'm sure the one that limited me to kicks and punches would have been easier with magic to help but I was able to get it done. Besides, it's good practice.

I'm now getting my hands on alternate weapons...I've tried out the sword and got the trophy for it but I'm not sure what the difference is with it and the regular attacks. I guess the "hold down the button" attacks are alright but the combos and damage seem to be the same.
#10ACgreen1foteenPosted 5/28/2012 12:35:08 PM
As far as I know, the Shuraba (sword) is one of the most damaging weapons in the game, excluding the secret weapons.

I've tried out the sword and got the trophy for it but I'm not sure what the difference is with it and the regular attacks. I guess the "hold down the button" attacks are alright but the combos and damage seem to be the same.

I suppose by "regular attacks" that you mean the combos? Most of the weapons that you'll come across will indeed actually have very similar, if not identical combos. It kind of helps you remember specific combos. Although one might complain that that would mean a lack of variety, your combos are only limited to your imagination as you can pretty much string attacks and cancel out of them at any time.

One of Shuraba's main attractions is the PKP combo, which unleashes a sword Wicked Weave attack that covers a huge radius. One you've acquired the Tetsuzanko skill, the last P of Shuraba's Wicked Weave becomes a command at your disposal by doing a back to forward motion while hitting P. The Shuraba is not as quick as your signature guns and hand-to-hand combat, but the damage and range it inhabits more than make up for it. One of the best weapons for me personally. Also, with the Shuraba, the PPKP combo will automatically launch you into the air, without having to manually jump yourself. :)
---
" Eye of the tiger!"