Granted, B is a male fantasy...but is she a bad one? Are women offended?

#1Autofire2Posted 1/17/2010 12:44:02 PM
I think it's ludicrous to argue, as a few people on this and the PS3 boards have, that Bayonetta is NOT a male fantasy, that she is in fact some kind of sophisticated, satirical critique on said fantasy. I don't really buy into this, though I agree that the game is tongue in cheek. But even if we accept that she IS a male fantasy, it doesn't seem like a bad one.

She's sexy, sexUAL, funny, ungodly strong,supremely confident, always composed, fiercely independent and often (chidingly) protective of others.

She's on top of every situation, kicks an apocalyptic amount of ass and, though sexual, does not (as far as I can see) ever use her sexuality in an instrumental way. Instead, she relies on a personal power that would make Satan himself wet himself.

Are women actually offended that the modern man fantasizes about a woman like that? Are these poor qualities to put on a pedestal? If we think Bayonetta is an awesome character, are we somehow hurting the collective female consciousness?

I'm not being sarcastic; I'd actually like to know.
---
Duncan MacLeod: There can be only one.
#2solo_bladePosted 1/17/2010 12:49:56 PM
inb4****storm
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
#3Ded1010Posted 1/17/2010 12:51:36 PM
Some women like it, some women don't.
#4FoxyArekuPosted 1/17/2010 12:54:45 PM
If women are offended by Bayonetta, they better be offended by Lara Croft and every other good looking badass heroine.
---
Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/foxyareku
O lawd child is dat sum homoeroticism ~ TheCatGoesMeow
#5Autofire2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2010 12:56:42 PM
Lara Croft, IIRC, was lauded as being one of the first female action heroines of that generation of games.

Bayonetta, on the other hand, seems to be a far more controversial figure. Even though technically her...assets are, er, closer to regulation size.
---
#6LoatheMePosted 1/17/2010 1:00:16 PM
on one hand there are men and women who will read your words, see the logic there, and agree. (I do.)

on the other hand there are other men and women, who just see a half naked chick and instantly fall into a pit of adolescent excitement or dumb feminist rage and don't care about anything else afterwards.

and soon they will all meet here to flame each other to death!
#7Autofire2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2010 1:29:25 PM
I am sympathetic to feminists in the old sense of the word (equality) but I'm not certain how it applies here. Bayo seems to be the superior of every man, God and Devil in the game.
---
#8DoublexEdgePosted 1/17/2010 1:30:24 PM
if people feel inferior to video game characters, then they deserve to feel bad.
---
Xbox live Gamer Tag: Cool Lander
"Come on y'all, we need to make a PUH-LAY!!!!" - Black Guy on Madden
#9MalnourishedPosted 1/17/2010 1:32:39 PM
WHO CARES it's a game. Enjoy it for how ridiculous, silly, awesome, and ridiculously awesome it is and have fun with it. You know, like you're supposed to with a game. Who cares who's offended by it.
---
One more time, with feeling!
#10Autofire2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2010 1:43:00 PM
Well, in theory, certainly video games (particularly ones which are commercially and critically succesfull) can be offensive, if only because they can reflect worrying attitudes in society.

If General Custer's Revenge (google it kiddies, but consider yourself warned) had sold a million copies and gotten a 91% on metacritic, I sure as hell would have been offended although I'm neither female nor Native American.

The question is whether THIS game is offensive or to be more specific, whether B is herself an offensive male fantasy. I think if B is the kind of woman men these days fantasize about, that's not a bad thing.
---