I Like the Plot. . .

#1EternalDahakaPosted 4/14/2012 11:36:58 PM
But I don't think it was portrayed all that well.
I love the lore in and the backstory is fantastic as well the angel concepts. Them speaking Enochian is a nice touch too.

My main problem with the story is too many times during cutscenes, comedy is used during a part were it would seem like a more serious tone would be be better. Bayonetta's snarky attitude is a nice contrast with the seriousness of the angels, but the comedy with Enzo and Luka seems forced.

***Small Spoilers***
Also, Luka's relationship with Bayonetta isn't consistent in the least. He starts out hating her guts, but continually makes or accepts sexual advances.

These aren't major problems, but its urksome enough to lower the story-telling to me. Anyway that's my two cents for the plot.
#2JCusterPosted 4/15/2012 9:13:24 AM
I didn't really like the way the story was presented, either. I didn't mind Bayonetta's "U can't touch this" attitude(she's Dante's female counterpart, so whatever...). But I'd rather there was more emphasis on their clans history and Angel/Demon mythology. The silliness of some scenes I found grating, like they couldn't decide on the tone of the game(tounge-in-cheek nods to other games vs serious backstory).
---
"I'll make you MEOW, b####!!"
#3blackhrtPosted 4/18/2012 4:56:38 PM
Well I hate to say "get used to it" but thats how it is with games that have some "japanification" thrown in. I noticed it the for the first time the way the demons were running away from the lava in chapter 2. Then again in chapter 14. You say it looks like they couldn't decide but what if they did decide to do it that way? Kamiya made Devil May Cry like that. Consider it his calling card when you play his games.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time."
#4EternalDahaka(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2012 10:09:40 PM
@JCuster
Yes, some emphasis on the angel/demons would be wonderful. I'd love to see more of Paradise.

@Black
I don't mind the "Japanification" at all, I just think the humor of it is a little misplaced. I'd rather have a serious scene stay serious rather than having some forced Luka/Enzo humor thrown in. If they decided to have those scenes right after or right before those serious scenes or during 'down time' scenes, I think it would have given the plot a bit more impact.

Dante was overly calm about almost everything, lol. The events of those games were a joke to him.
#5blackhrtPosted 4/19/2012 3:15:14 AM
EternalDahaka posted...
@JCuster
Yes, some emphasis on the angel/demons would be wonderful. I'd love to see more of Paradise.

@Black
I don't mind the "Japanification" at all, I just think the humor of it is a little misplaced. I'd rather have a serious scene stay serious rather than having some forced Luka/Enzo humor thrown in. If they decided to have those scenes right after or right before those serious scenes or during 'down time' scenes, I think it would have given the plot a bit more impact.

Dante was overly calm about almost everything, lol. The events of those games were a joke to him.

Well you remember near the end when Luka saw the moon explode and thought Bayonetta was still going to pop up? The suggested misplacement is there because thats how they do their comedy. Its hard to explain for me since I'm trying to figure it out more in depth myself.
---
#6JCusterPosted 4/20/2012 2:50:53 AM
blackhrt posted...
Well I hate to say "get used to it" but thats how it is with games that have some "japanification" thrown in. I noticed it the for the first time the way the demons were running away from the lava in chapter 2. Then again in chapter 14. You say it looks like they couldn't decide but what if they did decide to do it that way? Kamiya made Devil May Cry like that. Consider it his calling card when you play his games.

Really? I don't remember much comedy in DMC1. I do remember Dante snarking about some of the locations he was in with text messages here and there. Kamiya's characters do have that sort of dry humor I guess(Dante/Trish, Viewtiful Joe/Sylvia/Alastor, and Leon/Claire I suppose).

But say, Bayonetta suplexing 8 angels at one time, flicking all those handguns away, pistol whipping angles, and jumping crotch-first at the camera was just eye-rollingy bad to me. Don't misunderstand me: I do like this game for it's gameplay and enemy designs, but found it cornier than Vanquish(which I also love, but I could actually laugh about how corny the plot is ).
---
"I'll make you MEOW, b####!!"
#7blackhrtPosted 4/20/2012 5:00:04 AM
JCuster posted...
blackhrt posted...

Really? I don't remember much comedy in DMC1. I do remember Dante snarking about some of the locations he was in with text messages here and there. Kamiya's characters do have that sort of dry humor I guess(Dante/Trish, Viewtiful Joe/Sylvia/Alastor, and Leon/Claire I suppose).

But say, Bayonetta suplexing 8 angels at one time, flicking all those handguns away, pistol whipping angles, and jumping crotch-first at the camera was just eye-rollingy bad to me. Don't misunderstand me: I do like this game for it's gameplay and enemy designs, but found it cornier than Vanquish(which I also love, but I could actually laugh about how corny the plot is ).

I guess that where folks may differ. I didn't see any problems with that particular cutscene you mentioned. But I did read discussions on how over the top and/or cheesy certain moments of the game seemed to them. Overall, I invite a game like Bayonetta anytime, oddball storytelling and all. Because it breaks convention in so many areas and leaves gamers talking about a game in general. Thats kind of the aim of developers try to do. To generate talk of the game, whether its good, corny or controversial.
---