Global Warming tips and problems

#1HyomotoPosted 2/23/2009 9:33:20 AM
Well, I'm starting another new game after being unable to complete the global warming level, and perhaps I can point out some things I've learned and things that still confuse me. It is my opinion I will be unable to proceed past this level now for one stupid reason: I played in earlier ages for too long.

Why do I say this? Because I have 540000 residents and A) CANNOT get any more, and B) with said residents have a 91% approval rating. At this point, every 20000 gives me another point, at which rate it would require roughly 200000 residents to complete. I don't know why, but my approval rating stalled out but at my pop levels other people seem to have 4 to 5 more percentage points.

So what have I learned and what still boggles my mind? Well, I've learned that regardless of land value the size of a building matters most, but land values dictate how big it will grow. However, what causes some buildings to 'stall out' as I refer to it, ie: become a shopping center and stop growing when there is no pollution, eludes me. I've learned that big parks are the best building in the game and destroy pollution at a double time, as well as boost land values and make residents happy. I've learned that population can even decrease by destroying parks to make room for new buildings apparently decreases my population even with new people moving in. I've learned residential zones don't make pollution but commerce and industry do. Traffic also confuses me, it pollutes in high traffic areas but trains aren't replacements to roads, they're supplements, but what makes high traffic boggles my mind because it's always shifting.

In short, I can't figure out what -really- makes one building develop and another not. I'm probably missing ALOT of the theory and principle behind this game. So perhaps someone can give me some tips like, should I seperate my commerce and residential or is it better to combine? How important are things like stadiums and zoos? I know how to control pollution but I cannot figure out just how my actions influence population. Like 0% taxes should have people beating at the walls to get into my city but no, I just go broke. Also, I learned that you should end each stage as quickly as possible, because each age begins at 0% regardless of your population and I doubled mine before going to the global warming age. Bleh.
---
It is truly regrettable that a man will treat someone useful to him well and another useless to him poorly.
#2sega31098Posted 3/16/2009 12:08:06 PM
I don't read giant walls of text. But I think it's helpful!
---
[This signature was not and never will be removed at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3paraproteanPosted 3/23/2009 11:22:13 AM
It's been a while since you posted, so you may have resolved some or all of these problems on your own. However, the following information may be of use to anyone who has yet to finish the Global Warming stage. What I share is based on cursory observation; if I have time (I am, through good fortune, employed, and may not) I will post a more detailed corpus of data. Seaports and Railroads: I did not have much luck with these. Maxis stated that the Seaport only works if it is within 3 (or 2, or 5, I can't quite recall) tiles of SEA. Most of the water on the map is fresh water: only a small portion (usually at the corner of the map) is salt water so I assume one must build Seaports near these bodies of water. However, I built my Seaport directly next to it and it never developed. Railroads did seem to alleviate some traffic, but not a great deal. I suspect they would be best utilized by running near the outer edges of development with stops at 20 tile intervals (and perhaps perpendicular rail every 40 tiles), but have yet to test the theory. I did notice that placing Train Stops more frequently increased the amount of traffic on the rails, but again, the overall effect of Railroads was minimal. Furthermore, bus stops are far more effective and show up not too long after railroads.

Big Parks: Big Parks are your best friend. Not only do they combat pollution at a remarkable rate, they also raise the Land Value of the tiles they're sitting on to Very Good/Best in 1 (one) game year. To make things even better, Residential and Commerce buildings develop faster when they are near Big Parks. This really helps maintain areas that are suffering due to nearby Industry as well as cleaning up zones for re-use.

Zone Size: The length and width of a given Commerce or Industry zone seems to affect what buildings appear there. Residential zones require only a 3x3-tile zone to reach their maximum potential: Condos. I believe that Italian is the highest grade, followed by First Class, Twin and/or High-Rise; the grade is dependent primarily on Land Value, but also seems to be affected by entertainment venues and environmental tiles (Parks & Fountains). High Land Value usually leads to faster development as well.

Commerce and Industry zones, however, tend to not develop larger buildings (Brand Buildings, Department Stores/Recycling Centers, Blast Furnaces) until the zones are at least 6x6 tiles. It is also worth noting that the largest buildings are always 3x3 tiles, so zones whose dimensions are multiples of three (6x12, 9x9, 3x15, etc.) are the most efficient. Commerce zones, like Residential, grow more quickly and with better results if they are on tiles with high Land Value. Commerce zones also thrive when they are near Residential zones. They may not add value to a neighborhood, but they don't produce pollution either, so it's important that Commerce and Residential zones sort of weave in and out of each other, or are set up in such a way that there isn't much distance between any Commerce and Residential Zone.

Industry zones, on the other hand, should be segregated. They produce loads of pollution and drastically reduce Land Value. The upshot is that Industry zone growth doesn't seem to be affected by Land Value either. As long as one has enough people to work and a decent road/rail/bus system, Industry zones will develop rapidly. Entertainment Venues: I placed a Zoo/Stadium every 15 tiles in each direction, measured from the center. That is, if the center tile of the first Zoo/Stadium is Zero (0), then the center tile of the next Zoo/Stadium is placed Fifteen (15) tiles away. It should be noted that I tend to be over-zealous in my use of civic buildings, so this may have been more than necessary. However, these buildings do seem to increase the development of Residential (and, to some extend, Commercial) zones. Police, Firefighters, and so on: The effective range of Police/Firefighter stations is 33 tiles. This means that, counting from the center tile, one of these buildings will function for sixteen (16) tiles in every direction. One easy way to ensure that stations reach as far as they can without overlapping too much is to build in 3x3 grids with roads between: rSSSrSSSrSSSrSSSrSSSr This way, one need only count four (4) grids over to find where the range ends. In this manner, placing a Station every eight (8) grids in every direction will cover the entire area with only a one (1) tile overlap. This configuration is also helpful because one can turn 9 3x3 grids into a single grid with 9x9 tiles for Residence/Commerce surrounded by a square that can be used for Fountains/Small Parks to raise Land Value. Budget: Try to keep taxes low initially because it's the best way to attract residents and investors (Commerce and Industry will develop faster with low taxes). Don't set it too low, though, since this is the only source of income. Once a city is up and running it's important to raise taxes in order to keep with with expenses. Traffic, Police, and Fire aren't terribly important. As long as one's stations cover an appropriate area (with a few Prisons added to the outskirts of high-crime areas) there shouldn't be a problem. One might even be able to get away with low expenses in these areas. However, Hospital, Education, and Research expenses are vital. Research and Education unlock newer, more efficient buildings and allow for better development in the Commerce and Industry tiles. Hospital expenses affect Sim Health and Life Expectancy which are necessary to maintain a high-population city.

Water: Until Water Plants show up, supplying water is kind of a hassle. I'm not entirely sure what the Water Tower range is because at some point they started breaking down every thirty seconds so I started randomly installing them all over the place. Water Plants do fine assuming a 33 tile range like the Police/Firefighter stations. Some areas require more water, and once the population density gets serious it helps to have two (2) plants per range. Desalination Facilities produce a lot more water than Water Plants, but have to be near salt water which is scarce. Water Treatment Plants are a a must--the water supply gets very, very dirty. Make sure they're built well away from Residence Zones, as Sims seem to hate the things.

Energy Supply: Power Lines are only necessary if there are more than three (3) spaces between buildings, five (5) at the Global Warming level. This means that if one builds with a grid system (3x3 or 4x4), one will probably never need Power Lines, except between the power supply and the nearest Residence. Energy plants, like Industry zones, should be segregated. I found it was best to keep all of my energy plants on the bottom (Lower-Right side) of the map, with my Industry Zone just above it, a few rows of Greenhouses above that, and then a Big Park buffer. This effectively kept all the pollution in one area. One should upgrade plants as soon as possible because pollution can become a serious problem. Wind Power did not seem very effective, but I may not have been devoted enough. Geothermal Plants, once they arrive, are best. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone has questions (and I'm around), I'll try to address them.

P.S. For some reason, this forum censored "salt water" when it was written as one word. How odd. Also, some or all of the above information may be incorrect. I apologize in advance for any mistakes.
#4saoiganlochtPosted 4/2/2009 11:33:21 PM
Great info paraprotean. Regarding seaports, I have deduced that your seaport zone needs to be on the land, directly next to the sea. It must be 1X5 squares (or more), and they must be in a straight line (with each square touching the sea). Also, the water must extend (at least) 6 squares out from the land where you place the seaport.
Regarding the police and firefighters, your advice on 33X33 range is certainly correct for the early stages (and results in a total of 16 stations to cover the whole map), but I recently discovered that this range increases in later stages (and with higher upkeep), to the point of having 53X53 range in Global Warming age, so that one can manage with 4 stations for the entire map if upkeep is really high. (Well this does leave one line of no coverage at the edge or the centre, but this can be a path, and that seems to be fine.)
#5saoiganlochtPosted 4/2/2009 11:35:20 PM
Oh and regarding the censorship issue, I wonder if this was due to the end of 'salt' and the beginning of 'water' forming a dirty word?!
#6Biospark27Posted 4/2/2009 11:42:16 PM
P.S. For some reason, this forum censored "salt water" when it was written as one word. How odd.

From the Help Files:
In certain cases, some legitimate, inoffensive words may be inadvertently flagged due to constraints of the censoring system. In these cases, a user should still take steps to ensure that their message does not contain the disallowed word, and report the inadvertent flagging to a moderator or administrator.

Well funnily enough, I can post it. I guess it's on the whitelist.
---
Sign this petition for "A real spoilers tag"
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=48695361
#7Biospark27Posted 4/2/2009 11:44:10 PM
Water: Until Water Plants show up, supplying water is kind of a hassle. I'm not entirely sure what the Water Tower range is because at some point they started breaking down every thirty seconds so I started randomly installing them all over the place.

I guess that's from overuse of water plants.
---
Sign this petition for "A real spoilers tag"
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=48695361
#8VirtuKnightPosted 4/3/2009 5:57:29 PM
P.S. For some reason, this forum censored "salt water" when it was written as one word. How odd.

It's because t + wat is a censored word, for some reason. Although I don't even know what that is.
#9sega31098Posted 4/5/2009 10:18:17 AM
See, I can post saltwater.
---
[This signature was not and never will be removed at the request of a moderator or administrator]