Best WWII Air Combat Games for 360

#1Rasko501Posted 9/1/2009 3:01:15 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm only just getting into flight sims (WWII only), as I've recently played and thoroughly enjoyed Battlestations Midway and Pacific for the 360, though I know these are very arcade like when it comes to flying.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to buy IL-2, as it looks amazing, but I was wondering what other WWII air combat games out for the 360 (and xbox, because I still have one and if the game is good enough, I can deal with the less than stellar visuals) are good, comparable to say Battlestations Pacific?

Thanks in advance.
#2tox64Posted 9/1/2009 3:57:07 PM
Up until now there has been no real good WWII air combat game for xbox or xbox360, in my opinion.

Blazing Angels is arcade crap and the Battlestations series, while quite enjoyable, is more of a hybrid.

Based on the demo, I think IL2 will be pretty spectacular.

Just my .02
Scott
#3CapwnDPosted 9/1/2009 7:27:19 PM
BA was a hell of a lot of fun. The first one gave me many, many hours of flight time shooting down some planes.

BA + streaming in 100 gigs of music + going for 1000 points in achievements = A Lot of fun. Did it twice.

I hope IL -2 is even a fraction of that much fun for me.
---
Smash the control images, Smash the control machine
#4Muteki_XPosted 9/2/2009 5:54:17 AM
BA and BA2 were decent games, but both had flaws. BA's serious flaw is that it locks you into one controller scheme that you can't change. It can be very frustrating. Also, you can't select your plane in the campaign mode. Each stage has it's own plane you fly.

BA2 improved quite a bit by giving you options on controls and letting you select your plane for almost each mission, although the list is small, only a portion of the total list, and varies mission-to-mission. The most serious flaw it has is leaving out some of the biggest planes of that era in liew of "secret" planes. If memory serves correctly, the completely left out the Mustang. How can you have a WW2 Warbird game over Europe with no Mustang!?

Complaints aside, they're both definately worth picking up if you can find them cheap and will provde a die-hard Warbird fan with hours of entertainment, although mixed with frustration.
#5Dogar230Posted 9/7/2009 2:31:54 AM
I just started playing Blazing Angels 2 and think it's a much nicer game than Battlestations Pacific, as far as the air combat goes. In Pacific, the AI is very dumb. It doesn't maneuver at all.. or do any significant evasive action or anything. It's just... sad.

So Pacific felt much more arcadey to me than Blazing Angels 2 did.
#6WayOfTheSwordPosted 9/8/2009 10:34:01 AM
XBOX:

Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Heroes of the Pacific
Wings of War
Crimson Skies

XBOX 360:

Heroes Over Europe

Wings of War is actually World War I, but if you're into prop planes and anything non-jet, you should check it out. It's fun too because you actually have to land your plane during certain missions, which requires some skill in addition to basic flying abilities.

Crimson Skies is more fantastical and takes place in an alternate realty early 1900s, but the planes are reminiscent of WWII fighters and the game is a blast.

Secret Weapons and Heroes of the Pacific are both awesome WWII flight games and have more "realistic" controls available, not the arcade crap of Blazing Angels.

Heroes Over Europe is a sequel to Heroes of the Pacific and will be out next week. If it's at least as good as Heroes of the Pacific, it will be an amazing game.

All of the games I listed (except Crimson Skies) have "sim" controls (at least as far as a console flyer can have sim controls) and are the only flight games worth owning on Xbox/Xbox 360, IMO. Both Blazing Angels are just crap, for which Ubisoft should be deeply ashamed.

That is all.

---
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
#7HDCasePosted 9/8/2009 11:40:29 AM

Wings of War is actually World War I, but if you're into prop planes and anything non-jet, you should check it out. It's fun too because you actually have to land your plane during certain missions, which requires some skill in addition to basic flying abilities.

That actually sounds awesome
---
Artiste of the Slightly Funny Deal