What the hell is with the servers?

#1MoukaryuuPosted 9/8/2009 8:02:10 PM
I tried going online again tonight and it says the servers are unavailable, try again later. This has happened every time I have tried to get into a match.
---
Pre-ordered for '09: Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Darksiders, Dragon Age: Origins, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST, Forza III, DiRT 2
#2conorquinnPosted 9/9/2009 1:56:08 AM
Well, it can't be servers, seeing as nigh-on all 360 games (including this one) are peer-to-peer. Must be your internet.
#3Moukaryuu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2009 7:32:14 AM
Hmmm...I can play all other 360 games on Live no problem and my internet works just fine. Is there a port that needs to be opened for this game or something?
---
Pre-ordered for '09: Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Darksiders, Dragon Age: Origins, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST, Forza III, DiRT 2
#4Pro356Posted 9/9/2009 8:10:17 PM

No, it just means that no one is hosting a game at the moment. Game in progress don't show up, only those waiting to begin. So it can look like there are no servers available.

Try hosting one instead. Someone will surely join eventually.

#5CapwnDPosted 9/9/2009 9:27:35 PM

Hmmm...I can play all other 360 games on Live no problem and my internet works just fine. Is there a port that needs to be opened for this game or something?

No xbox game ever needs any port opened other than what is necessary for all xbox games.

And that said, some misconceptions to clear up:

1. 2074 NEVER needs to be available for XBL.
2. 80 and 53 were added to the list of ports, but you should never forward either of those ports to any one machine. Just leave those alone.
3. 88 UDP and 3074 TCP and UDP continue to be the only ports you need open for Xbox live game play. 80 and 53 need to be available, but are probalby only used for Twitter/facebook/netflix. Again... NEVER FORWARD THOSE PORTS TO ANY ONE MACHINE. I don't care what portforward.com says, they are wrong and they won't admit it. The sad thing is, they know more about this stuff than I (or at least they give that appearance), and they should know why you don't want to forward those ports.
---
Smash the control images, Smash the control machine
#6KuraraIIPosted 9/10/2009 5:38:28 AM
The game has been delayed in Canada (1 week), if you're playing from there, the servers may not be up yet perhaps...
#7Moukaryuu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2009 7:53:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm a tech, so I have no issues messing with the router. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone else had experienced a problem due to ports not being opened.

So basically, what it comes down to, is that there just aren't enough people playing the game online and I have to be more patient when looking for a game to join, or I have to host one.
---
Pre-ordered for '09: Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Darksiders, Dragon Age: Origins, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST, Forza III, DiRT 2; New Super Mario
#8CapwnDPosted 9/10/2009 8:57:38 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm a tech, so I have no issues messing with the router.

Heh, yeah I think lke that too.

The smallest problem happens and I'm like "ok wtf can I do to make this work better" instead of thinking that it's something that's beyond my control.

Not to say your problem here was small... You know what I mean. I never even tried online yet, I generally don't play flight games online... I'm probably missing a lot of fun.
---
Smash the control images, Smash the control machine