Which one should I choose? i5 or i7

#1michaelkennethPosted 7/6/2012 1:15:31 PM
Not so long ago, I made a post about wether should I choose the retina Macbook or the normal ones. Thanks for the positive feedback and comments. So I finally choose 13 inch mid-2012 Macbook Pro WITHOUT retina display. But I am now confused between choosing the i5 or the i7

13-inch: 2.5GHz
Intel Core i5
4GB Memory
500GB hard drive
SDXC card slot
Thunderbolt port
Built-in 7-hour battery
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OR
13-inch: 2.9GHz
Intel Core i7
8GB Memory
750GB hard drive
SDXC card slot
Thunderbolt port
Built-in 7-hour battery
Intel HD Graphics 4000

I will use it for making words, powerpoints(with lots of animations), browsing, photoshop, video editing(learning to use after effects), music, etc.
Does it make a huge difference?

P.S: Sorry, I'm n00b at processor kind of thing
---
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici!
#2_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 7/6/2012 1:23:21 PM
For video editing it will absolutely help. You do need to really think to yourself though. Yes, it will be much faster for video editing, but you will likely not see that speed much elsewhere. I would recommend not upgrading that, and just purchasing the laptop as is. Then hop onto Newegg and use the money you would have spent on an SSD and install it yourself. Its extremely easy and is by far one of the most noticeable upgrades you can do.
#3MageofBlood391Posted 7/6/2012 1:46:18 PM
Definitely go with the i7 if you're going to be editing videos. I'd also recommend bumping up past 8GB of RAM if you're serious about photo and video editing, or could see yourself becoming serious in the near future.

Also, if you were willing to spend money on the Retina display MBP, then I'm also inclined to recommend the 15" non-Retina MBP for the sake of having access to a video card. Intel HD 4000 is fine for every day usage, but having a video card would help you out with your editing, and the GT 650M's a very good card. You'd be able to game better on it too, if that's your fancy. Keep in mind that you'd need to either buy Windows or run WINE though if you actually want to be able to play anything more than Valve and Java games.
---
Smart ninja-type dude.
#4shin_mcgooPosted 7/6/2012 4:00:39 PM
I know you said you already decided on a Macbook Pro, but as someone who used to have the 13", I'd ask if you need a portable.

I thought I did when I purchased mine but it turned out I didn't need the portability and my experience suffered for it. 13" has a cramped screen to work on for long, is not comfortable to type on for extended periods, and isn't as powerful as a desktop.

So after not even a year I sold it and bought an imac. Love it much more.

But if you do need portability, choose the i7 for the long term.
#5KeyeszxPosted 7/6/2012 4:05:32 PM
i7, no reason not to. Why would you even think of going for the slower one if the better one is a choice?
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#6michaelkenneth(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2012 6:45:26 PM
Thank you for the advices.
The reason why I choose 13 inch is because of the budget :p

Ehat is the advantages of i7 rather than the speed?
---
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici!
#7MaestroSSXPosted 7/6/2012 8:01:43 PM
how much is this? 2000$?

you get more power from a handbuilt desktop, and if you have to have final cut and stuff like that, there are methods of getting it on an extremely more powerful and effient desktop.

*holds up flame shield*
---
Official Strategist of the Poll of the Day, PC, and iPhone/iPod Boards
RTS, TBS, I love them ALL, and I rule at them ALL
#8IvanKozlovPosted 7/6/2012 8:37:48 PM
MaestroSSX posted...
how much is this? 2000$?

you get more power from a handbuilt desktop, and if you have to have final cut and stuff like that, there are methods of getting it on an extremely more powerful and effient desktop.

*holds up flame shield*

I agree entirely. You could make a desktop for around $1,000 that would be more powerful than a MacBook.
---
You see, I am simply one hell of a butler.
#9MageofBlood391Posted 7/6/2012 8:43:09 PM
MaestroSSX posted...
how much is this? 2000$?

*holds up flame shield*

Seeing as he only mentioned the two MacBook models, it's reasonable enough to assume that he needs a notebook for one reason or another, or is at least interested in OS X.

If neither of these apply to you, TC, and if you have no real reason for wanting a MacBook, then by all means look into building a PC and saving yourself some cash. Or alternatively, spending the same amount of cash and getting a much better computer.
---
Smart ninja-type dude.
#10un touchablePosted 7/7/2012 12:25:49 AM
You can't buy a mac with a buget!
What were thinking?