Any plans for Star Ocean 5?

#1SanguinariusPosted 4/18/2011 9:22:35 AM
If i recall they said this was planned to be the last Star Ocean, is that true or do they have plans to make another one?
---
Gamer Tag: AL398
#2Aussie2BPosted 4/18/2011 11:57:59 AM
There was talk of SO3 being the last one too. I think as long as there's money to be made, they'll keep doing them. I kinda hope they don't, though. Sure, this game is great, but it's also fairly derivative of SO3 and the series has grown large enough. Unless they pull out something really fresh and creative, they're just going to bleed the IP dry if they keep releasing games.
---
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
#3ClaudeLv250Posted 4/18/2011 11:27:34 PM
Actually I remember some talk about it being the start of a "new series," as in SO3 closed the book and SO4 reopened it.
---
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.
#4Hash062Posted 4/19/2011 8:33:05 AM
How much did this sell really? I think the answer lies there.
#5SubSeenixPosted 4/22/2011 3:53:00 AM(edited)
Hash062 posted...
How much did this sell really? I think the answer lies there.

Star Ocean 4?
Little bit over a Million worldwide on both consoles
PS3 Version did nearly as good as the 360 version even if it was over 1 year old at that point and everyone knew how bad SO4 was.

If a new SO is coming they will release it hopefully directly on the PS3
J-RPGs for 1 year exclusive on the 360 kills a series - Tales of Series got saved because of the PS3 Sales + DLC alone from Japan.
They could make alone a lot more money with DLC from a PS3 Version in Japan than with a 360 Exclusive for worldwide.Multiplat is the way to go and i dont think Tri Ace or whoever is making that mistake again to make well established J-RPG Series exclusive to a non existent console(in the areas where those games sell mostly Japan)
#6HusanePosted 4/22/2011 9:29:39 PM
I hope they are making a new one I feel like I have pretty much played the crap out of this one. I have 155 hours played time on my very first game play through beating everything and getting Edge Sarah and Arumat to 255. Plus another game with 40 hours on it just to beat the game again to try and get some new endings. And I finally started playing on Chaos using Faize to make it a real challenge.
#7CWZaftPosted 4/23/2011 4:32:36 PM

I would appreciate a new one. Star Ocean has always been a "decent" series. Nothing amazing, but nothing bad either. It was never revolutionary, but it was never disappointing either. It was just kinda there.

However, I feel that not only Star Ocean as a series, but Tri-Ace as a company, has improved quite a lot since it first started. Star Ocean has improved with time, Infinite Undiscovery was a decent attempt (and can DEFINITELY be improved in a later sequel), and Resonance of Fate was a total blast.

Speaking of other Tri-Ace games though, I'm rather sure that we'd see a second Infinite Undiscovery before seeing a Star Ocean 5. The reason being is that Infinite Undiscovery left a lot of things unfinished, and (spoiler if you haven't beaten it yet) the death of Veros has no doubt left the world in utter chaos (with the aristos all falling into comas, lunaglyphs no longer working, etc), thus giving a perfect, turbulent setting for a sequel.

#8ClaudeLv250Posted 4/23/2011 8:08:16 PM
Infinite Undiscovery 2? I could live without it.

What we should be talking about is Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist.
---
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.
#9Aussie2BPosted 4/24/2011 10:16:49 PM
CWZaft posted...
I would appreciate a new one. Star Ocean has always been a "decent" series. Nothing amazing, but nothing bad either. It was never revolutionary, but it was never disappointing either. It was just kinda there.

However, I feel that not only Star Ocean as a series, but Tri-Ace as a company, has improved quite a lot since it first started. Star Ocean has improved with time, Infinite Undiscovery was a decent attempt (and can DEFINITELY be improved in a later sequel), and Resonance of Fate was a total blast.

Speaking of other Tri-Ace games though, I'm rather sure that we'd see a second Infinite Undiscovery before seeing a Star Ocean 5. The reason being is that Infinite Undiscovery left a lot of things unfinished, and (spoiler if you haven't beaten it yet) the death of Veros has no doubt left the world in utter chaos (with the aristos all falling into comas, lunaglyphs no longer working, etc), thus giving a perfect, turbulent setting for a sequel.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading your post. o_O

First off, not amazing? Not revolutionary? Have we played the same series? The first Star Ocean was undeniably revolutionary in graphics, sound, and gameplay, and I'd say that adds up to amazing as well. SO2 was amazingly fun and addictive, and Blue Sphere was absolutely amazing and revolutionary for a GBC game.

I have to strongly disagree with you on tri-Ace being better now than in the past, and going off of what I read, it seems like most tri-Ace fans would agree with me. I don't think anything tops their turn of the century period of SO2, Valkyrie Profile, and Blue Sphere. Starting with SO3 the general consensus on their games have been a lot more mixed, sometimes seemingly skewing toward more people disliking the games than not. I still love SO3, Radiata Stories, and SO4 myself, but I know tons of people hate them. I definitely would not say that most people think Star Ocean has improved over time. And even as the diehard fan that I am, I couldn't convince myself that Infinite Undiscovery and Valkyrie Profile on DS were fun games. Thank goodness I like SO4 or I would've lost all faith in the company. I'm still skeptical about playing Resonance of Fate (haven't gotten to it yet), as I hate the lack of color and I've come across many people that dislike the game.

And I think it's just silly that you think IU2 is more likely than SO5. The game was a train wreck and has been received as such, besides a small minority that can look past its flaws somehow. I don't fully blame tri-Ace since I'm pretty confident that they were rushed or working on a limited budget or something. It's so sad comparing their initial concepts to the final product. I mean, they were saying that it was the game they always wanted to make for their 10 or so (at the time) years of existence, and the technology finally advanced enough to allow them to create it. I could tell that they had a lot of passion for the project and had a grand vision, and I'm sure even they realize that they didn't come close to capturing that vision.
---
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
#10megamagicmaniacPosted 4/25/2011 5:14:31 AM
"I don't fully blame tri-Ace since I'm pretty confident that they were rushed or working on a limited budget or something. It's so sad comparing their initial concepts to the final product. "

Are you serious? Infinity Undiscovery is a Microsoft IP, and tri-ace got paid for the developement.

Small budget? Microsoft wanted the japanese market, thats why they paid Mistwalker and tri-ace, Mistwalkers budget for Lost Odyssey was high, and so was tri-ace budget for IU.

Bad quality of IU was entirely tri-ace fault, why bother with something called "quality", they got the money anyway, so, why bother about the result ?