we want more! we want more!

#1commanderadamaPosted 3/21/2013 8:45:29 AM
our parents tell us we cant have more, but we want more RPG!

ive been debating trading in my XBOX and my RPG collection for a PS3 and some of its games.
i grew up on dragon warrior and turn based RPGS from as early as sega master system!

im desperate for a good turn based game and ive sampled everything on xbox

but the problem is, PS3 games look so terrible!
i mean... i know its a japanese system.. but does every game need to look uberjapanese?
i feel like its a 50/50 on who's going to come out with the next decent game and wether or not i should change and lose my buddylist and achievos.
#2jelashPosted 3/21/2013 9:25:25 AM
I would love to play those Tales games, but what's the point of buying the system only to play... a few games?
---
''I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I enforce it.'' (Zapp Brannigan; Futurama)
#3commanderadama(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 10:12:19 AM
tales are good, but not entirely my cup o tea

vesperia is on Xbox. maybe more

its a good adventure and solid game, with lots of fun rpg aspects, but once again.. its uber japanese and it looks like turn based rpgs are history

blue dragon was a good battle system but so lame!

how bout a rated M rpg one of these days
#4jelashPosted 3/22/2013 3:28:56 PM
This is the list of what I played so far (listed all RPGs and ''so called'' RPGs):

- Alpha Protocol
- Blue Dragon
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Dungeon Siege 3
- Enchanted Arms
- Eternal Sonata
- Fable 2
- Fable 3
- Fallout 3
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Infinite Undiscovery
- Kingdoms of Amalur
- Last Remnant, The
- Magna Carta 2
- Mass Effect
- Mass Effect 2
- Mass Effect 3
- NIER
- Phantasy Star Universe
- Resonance of Fate
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope
- Tales of Vesperia
- Torchlight
- Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement

Should be enough, right?
Well, it isn't.
---
''I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I enforce it.'' (Zapp Brannigan; Futurama)
#5ClaudeLv250Posted 3/22/2013 6:28:54 PM
The handhelds absorbed a lot of the handheld RPGs, while a lot of legacy RPG franchises died with the turn of the generation.
---
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.
#6Aussie2BPosted 3/24/2013 2:01:31 AM
You don't like RPGs with an anime aesthetic, yet you seemingly like Star Ocean 4? o_O Okay...

The Japanese like drawing video game characters, especially those in RPGs, in the manga/anime style. That's just the reality. That's how it's always been. Even the original Dragon Warrior had all of its characters and monsters designed by Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball. The manga/anime influence just wasn't quite as apparent back then due to the graphics limitations. If you want modern Japanese RPGs that don't follow this aesthetic, I'm afraid you're out of luck, outside of the rare exception here or there that goes for a more unusual look. Your only real options are to stick with retro games, where you won't notice the style as much, or stick to Western-developed RPGs, which follow more of a Lord of the Rings aesthetic typically.

If you would be open to any design style, there's definitely no shortage of RPGs, although the majority in recent years have been on DS and PSP.
---
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
#7commanderadama(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 10:48:55 AM
hey aussie,

i still play becuase im a true RPG fan... however... i feel the entire market is anime-ish
and i was just venting that a lil diversity would be nice.

what id really like to see is a new turn based rpg.

when im at work i play monster's den: book of dread.

that game is a gem and has gotten me thru many hours at the office

on my dating profile i claim to be a level 37 dwarf with a mace+1
lolz (and yes, i get dates..before you ask)