That rewind feature and time trialing...

#1silentbob7777Posted 8/24/2009 4:56:12 AM
I just love doing time trials.. i can just sit here for hours, setup my cars, drive them, tune them, test them, etc.
Once i got a good setup i go do some time trialing on my favourite courses, and im sure im not the only one.

Question is though.. if you do time trials.. will that rewind function be available?

See the problem here? it would feel utterly cheap if you'd just rewind before every corner over and over again, untill you get it right and set a good time that way.. lol, how horrible would that be!?

So i take it they took the rewind feature out in time trials?
---
lol
#2ARGigglyPosted 8/24/2009 4:59:53 AM

they would probably leave the option open to choice unfortunately

#3seankanePosted 8/24/2009 5:03:10 AM

You'll be able to use rewind at any time in any offline mode.

#4silentbob7777(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2009 5:16:10 AM
Seriously?

That would kill the entire purpose of doing a time trial.. it would kill conquering behemoths like le sarthe and/or the nürburgring!
Time trialing is all about doing a perfect lap, not screwing up in the last corner so the pressure is always on... and it's certainly not about pressing a rewind button at all corners and get "great" times that way.

That's seriously bad news if true.. does anyone have a link or something?
---
lol
#5dscube79Posted 8/24/2009 5:22:20 AM
so you cheat yourself? lol....rewinding will not make you faster i think...
Rewinding is good for endurance race and frustrating race that you are having....lol
---
Wii60
#6silentbob7777(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2009 5:36:26 AM
The point is not if you are faster or not, the point is that it's cheap and you can basically set one decent to good time in one lap using the rewind feature, instead of having to practice and getting to know the actual track, perfecting corners and learn all the tricks how to get faster lap times.

Rewind is okay in my book.. i'd never use it as i avoided it with GRID as well.. but for offline it's okay i guess.
But they should not have it in time trials.. that's just cheap and not what time trialing is about.

---
lol
#7GlitchwerksPosted 8/24/2009 5:44:31 AM
Your like to do time trials and look at how you score on the leaderboards, right? If you use the rewind feature, you lose certification on your time and also will be ranked lower. It's "penalized" in a non-intrusive way.
---
Looking forward to: Forza Motorsport 3 - October 27th, 2009 / Gran Turismo 5 - To Be Announced / Need For Speed: Shift - September 22nd, 2009
#8RhawbPosted 8/24/2009 5:46:10 AM
I remember hearing that the lap timer will run even as the game rewinds, so there won't be any advantage to using rewind in the time trials. I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but it seems like a pretty good way of solving that problem either way.
#9seankanePosted 8/24/2009 5:51:51 AM

silentbob7777 posted...
The point is not if you are faster or not, the point is that it's cheap and you can basically set one decent to good time in one lap using the rewind feature, instead of having to practice and getting to know the actual track, perfecting corners and learn all the tricks how to get faster lap times.

Its no different for a race. Somebody could sit there and use rewind corner-to-corner throughout a 5 lap race in order to ensure victory.

And the game will consider your time 'uncertified', which will be a good reminder that your time was not genuine and will give incentive to eventually go back and improve it and do it right. If the player doesn't care, and just wants to beat it anyway possible, then who cares? Its not affecting anyone else, so they should be able to play how they want.

Besides, people who are constantly using rewind like this probably are learning as they do it. They'll figure out after numerous tries that a certain way to get through a corner is the best way, and they'll probably remember that in the future. I know I'll be using it to learn new tracks and for tuning purposes. I wouldn't ever use it to set good lap times, but if somebody wants to, then who cares? Again, their time will be uncertified, so its not affecting those of us doing it properly.

#10seankanePosted 8/24/2009 5:52:58 AM

Rhawb posted...
I remember hearing that the lap timer will run even as the game rewinds, so there won't be any advantage to using rewind in the time trials. I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but it seems like a pretty good way of solving that problem either way.

Yo!

I have heard that somewhere before, and it'd be the perfect way of solving the issue. Not sure if its true or not, either, though.