Gear Ratio Tuning FAQ

#1AnimeArchfiendPosted 11/10/2009 6:39:01 PM
I noticed a lot of people were timid about tuning gear ratios, or only touch the “final drive” or ring and pinion. This guide is here to help you better understand how gear ratios work and how to tune them quickly and easily for different situations.

In order to change gear ratios you will need a racing transmission. Don’t put this type of transmission on a low power car, as they are built to be used with cars with high amounts of torque and horsepower. You will only end up being slowed down putting a powerful transmission on a low power vehicle.

Select the vehicle you want, and you should obviously select a manual transmission, to tune and get on the big oval to begin with, so you don’t have to worry about turning, and you can focus everything on gearing.

The more you gear towards acceleration, the faster the car will need to shift, which results in more acceleration as the engine revs faster. But if you tune towards acceleration too much, the engine will be on the rev limiter in 6th gear way before the engine has reached it’s full potential, and gearing very heavily towards acceleration will just result in your car being undrivable, the same goes for speed. This is pretty clear and is explained in the tuning menu, just thought I would add it anyway.

You should set the ring and pinion before anything, and then test run the car several times around the oval until you feel you have it right, only then should you even touch the rest of the gears. Below are tips on what you should look for and avoid when changing the individual gear ratios.

“Bogging” - You want to avoid having the engine bog at all costs. If you shift gears and you hear a bogging sound from the engine, and the rpm meter drops significantly, it means you need to gear more towards acceleration for that gear. This is because the engine is struggling to overcome how low you tuned the gear ratio.

After you have overcome bogging and you feel you have the basic setup complete for the ratios, you can begin to fine tune each gear in the direction you desire. If you are building a car for ovals and big circuits with long straits then you will obviously want to tune more for speed, while if your car is being built for smaller tracks you will tune more for acceleration beacuse you want to utilise as many gears as possible.

At this point you want to take your car on the type of track you are tuning it for and continue fine tuning until it is perfect. You will problably need to make some changes because you will have a better idea of how long the straightaways are and how many corners there are.

Not going to mention about drag racing because it is very broken in this game.
#2misterbossmanPosted 11/10/2009 6:42:38 PM

thanks. the tuning menu has like 10 paragraphs scrolling down at like 5 lines per second, i cant read that fast lol..

no sarcasm intended there^^

#3AnimeArchfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2009 6:43:44 PM
You can use the right thumbstick to stop the menu from scrolling down, it contains very useful information.
---
"It's weird. I used to be Protestant but after 3 hours of playing Fallout 3 I now drink goat blood and nun urine martinis." - TerminusEst
#4evilo20293Posted 11/10/2009 6:43:48 PM
^ Got that right lol.
#5The DevourerPosted 11/10/2009 7:14:23 PM
What is this ring and pinion thing you're talking about? The final drive? Also, how should you determine what to do with the other gears?

My Gallardo flies down the track and tops out at 237 with default gearing and stays at the redline after that, is there any way to get more out of it or to obtain that speed without redlining it that much? Or does redlining it matter any (simulation damage, does it blow your engine?).

I don't play these sim games much so this is kinda new to me and I'm trying to figure it all out.
---
Q8200, 8800GT@700/1000, 4G DDR2 900, 750G SATA2, 700W, Logitech G5/G15, XP/SP2
XPS M1530-T7700, 8600M GT, 3G DDR2 667, 250G, Razer Copperhead, Vista
#6AnimeArchfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2009 7:23:39 PM
Ring and pinion is final drive. Staying on the redline won't hurt your engine, but it isn't ideal. Eventually, you will reach a point of going down a very long straight that on 6th gear you are just going to be in the rev limiter, try to adjust 6th gear only a little bit and see what happens, as long as you don't hear it at it's peak (as if you didn't shift out of first gear or something) you should be ok. In most situations, this should not happen because there are very few straights that long in the game where you will still have to keep driving after the car is redlining in the last gear.
---
"It's weird. I used to be Protestant but after 3 hours of playing Fallout 3 I now drink goat blood and nun urine martinis." - TerminusEst
#7The DevourerPosted 11/10/2009 7:55:05 PM
Was just curious. The two Le Mans tracks have a long ass straight that you pull that off on and I wasn't sure if I should ease up when I redlined or keep it down. Also being clueless about all the tuning helps add to my uncertainty. I think the speedways might allow for that speed with a car that accels like the Gallardo, but haven't tested on them.

I'll try adjusting the gear and see what it does. I mostly mess with my anti roll bars a little bit of the toe or camber/caster, whatever those settings are and differentials and braking.
---
#8the_elwoodPosted 11/10/2009 10:13:14 PM

Hahaha, my old snowmobile had a bog in it..... Anyway, i hate messing with geras so much but this guide helps, thx!

#9The DevourerPosted 11/10/2009 11:41:51 PM
I followed what you said here the best I could and decided that it's best to leave my Gallardo in the 'sweet spot' and leave the top speed at 237. The acceleration is something like 2.126 for 0-60 and any other tuning drops that and raises or lowers my top speed.

I've also applied this to my Veyron and got that bad boy to 260.4 top speed and a 0-60 of 1.901 and 0-100 at 3.991. It helped a lot.

I'm still unsure about what I want to do with individual gears, but working with the final gear has helped a TON just because of this.
---
#10streetridazPosted 11/11/2009 6:25:10 AM

Allerletzt posted...
I followed what you said here the best I could and decided that it's best to leave my Gallardo in the 'sweet spot' and leave the top speed at 237. The acceleration is something like 2.126 for 0-60 and any other tuning drops that and raises or lowers my top speed.

I've also applied this to my Veyron and got that bad boy to 260.4 top speed and a 0-60 of 1.901 and 0-100 at 3.991. It helped a lot.

I'm still unsure about what I want to do with individual gears, but working with the final gear has helped a TON just because of this.
---

Yeah unless you really really know what your doing when in comes to gearing you are better off not messing with it. Changing one gears ratios changes then next gears ratio and the next and so on and so on. You may think your making it better because your accelerating through gears faster and faster but you may find that you've actually significantly lowered your cars engine potential. Sorry to say it's not as easy as just adjusting each gear for speed or accel there is a lot more to it then that. You must consider power to weight ratios, aero drag percentages, motor effeciency and free rolling drag as just a few examples.