Clean Lap / Dirty Lap

#1ncalvinPosted 11/12/2009 11:18:52 AM
What in God's name is up with the clean lap / dirty lap system? On numerous occasions, I've crossed over to a new lap on the outside of the straight, well away from other cars and the pit exit, and have been tagged with a dirty lap immediately. I've gone entire races where my line was impeccable save for a bit of jostling in the grid on the first few turns, and have been tagged with "dirty" laps for the entire race. This screws with one's leaderboard times, and it's irritating as all get-out.

Does anyone know why this happens and if Turn10 ever plans to adjust, or at least clarify, what exactly is happening?
---
*needs sig*
#2TimVanDamPosted 11/12/2009 11:23:26 AM
If you're around other cars you're likely getting hit by drafting penalties, I believe it penalizes you for drafting and being drafted as well. And if you have a penalty near the end of one lap, it automatically penalizes your next lap, so you can't do stuff like cut the last corner or get pushed to cross the start line extra fast.
---
http://drivelinespeedshop.webs.com/
XBL GamerTag: TJPII
#3ClTlZENSNlPSPosted 11/12/2009 11:26:34 AM
OMG! I know, right?

I sort of think it detects faint damage to your car if your suspension bottoms out, or perhaps its delayed reaction from something you did two turns ago? but in most cases I have no idea why I just got dinged.

Seriously frustrating. That dang Silverstone hits me 4/5 times on the exit of turn 1. I'm literally in the middle of the track and I get a hazard indication.
---
-Snips
The only sovereign you can allow to rule is reason.
#4asrttyoxoPosted 11/12/2009 11:26:50 AM
If you caught a corner or did something at the end of your lap that the computer thinks gave you an advantage for the beginning of the next lap it will flag you.

Take for example Sunset Speedway.

If on the end of your lap (last turn) you drive the line really tight and incur a penalty you will likely get a dirty lap for the next lap because you possibly helped yourself for the next lap.

I used this to a decent extent on FM2 on Nissan Speedway. Cut the last corner tight (get a time penalty) and get an extra 1-2 mph on the straight. I would be able to shave a tenth or so off of my time if I drove well throughout.
#5ncalvin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2009 11:28:02 AM
Hmm, I was starting to pick up on the drafting thing, but when i've got six seconds on the car behind me and take an entire lap clean, I shouldn't get tagged for doing...nothing. I did I think a 5-lap on Le Mans -- Bugatti and didn't get a single clean lap, and I was about 4-6 seconds out by the middle of lap 2 and didn't touch dirt or cut corners by lap 3 (I was still figuring the track out, new to me lol). It was...irritating, to say the least.
---
*needs sig*
#6ncalvin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2009 11:31:09 AM
Or when you're taking a lap and the little warning triangle is sitting there going "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG RIGHT NOW!!!" and you're in the middle of a straightaway. It'll just stay lit up for 10-15 seconds on end. Sometimes I wonder if it goes off if you're not giving steering input for long enough...redonkulous.
---
*needs sig*
#7ClTlZENSNlPSPosted 11/12/2009 11:31:37 AM
I understand the penalty for shorting before the end of one lap to get a better time on the hot lap, but the problem goes way deeper than that. No cars around me, no funky turning practices, in the middle of a lap. Ding...hazard. No Idea why.
---
-Snips
#8ScarecrowESPosted 11/12/2009 2:33:01 PM
You don't get penalties for no reason. You ARE doing something wrong. You don't want to get penalized, then stop whatever you're doing wrong. I hate topics like these because there's nothing broke about the system. You can't cut corners without getting a penalty... not even a little bit. You cannot draft or be drafted. You cannot damage another car, or incur damage on yours. If you do any of these things at the tail end of the last stage of a lap, you will get penalized going into the next lap because whatever you did could give you a time advantage. If you really are worried about the leaderboard, you've got to hot lap with no other cars on the track.
---
"One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't." -George Bernard Shaw
#9ClTlZENSNlPSPosted 11/12/2009 3:04:59 PM
^You and I are on the same page there, scarecrow. The TC didn't know why he was getting dinged for a full lap after doing something wrong at the end of the predecessor (he was probably being drafted). I am talking about phantom hazard indications that occur in the middle of the lap with no cars around and for no apparent reason. It has happened to me several times, and I have not been able to figure out why. Its not that big of a deal, because I don't hot lap. By your reaction I can tell it hasn't happened to you.
---
-Snips
#10ScarecrowESPosted 11/12/2009 3:18:07 PM
No, there have been occasions when I've looked up at my lap time and been like "WTF! I did everything perfect! Why the hell did I get dinged?!" And then I'll look at the replay and see something minor and stupid I did to cause it. There's always a reason, even if you don't see it at first. I mean, it really does suck that you can get dinged for things beyond your control that really don't improve your lap time any... like when another car drafts off of you, or if another car taps you when you're passing them. Neither of those things are your fault... you didn't cause them, and they in no way make your lap time better, but you get a penalty anyway. It's irksome, to say the least, but to be quite frank, you aren't getting anywhere near the top of the leaderboards anyway with a career race lap time, so if shouldn't bother you if you get penalized.
---
"One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't." -George Bernard Shaw