What are these Leaderboard car tunes?

#1Shadow SpectrePosted 1/3/2011 11:10:52 AM
I see so many VW Rabbits and Toyota Celica's and cars like these on the B and C leaderboards and I don't understand how they optimize these cars to win. I know they swap for an AWD and other stuff, but I can't see how they get that performance. Can anyone tell me their strategy for getting these cars to be the best in these classes?
---
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"-Vroomfondel(The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
#2alaskanpeasPosted 1/3/2011 8:10:16 PM
Well. You buy a car you like then you Upgrade it to the top of the class you want it to be in. Then you tune those parts to work with the car so it performs the way you feel comfortable and consistent driving........oh......wait.......you just want to know how to make a leader board car. Get a 04 wrx put power on it and make it B class then get a big attitude and talk about your lap times in the lobby and never never never switch cars because that car is driven without skill needed (like all AWD cars in game).

Please don't turn into a leader board car driver. They are the worst of the worst. Play the racing game for a good race. Not always for the win. Racing is no fun when everyone is using the same car and they are all AWD and every just pushes everyone off the track and have zero racing etiquette. Then they crash and then they quit out of the race to preserve their precious rank. Please don't be stupid.
#3Instag8orPosted 1/3/2011 10:04:55 PM
^ At first I thought that had to be the douchiest advice I have heard in a while...

Then I read the second paragraph and realized you're quite alright =-)
---
You and one other people Like this.
XBL GT: iNSTIG80R
#4Shadow Spectre(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2011 11:22:21 AM
I HATE the level of racing etiquette in this game. I haven't been in a race yet where I wasn't pushed from behind off my line.

I wasn't trying to turn into some guy who uses the same cars, I just assumed there was some strategy that these people were using to get such times with cars I wouldn't expect. The WRX I use is very stable and I imagine with a lot of power added it would be a good car. Is the basic strategy to use stable build AWD cars and upgrade the power to limit that it can sustain? I assumed there was more to it and I just wanted more information about the game. Is there something about the mechanics of the game that makes WRX's and Golf's viable, or is it just the space they have for upgrades? Or is it literally just the AWD +power?
---
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"-Vroomfondel(The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
#5kungfuj0Posted 1/4/2011 2:02:50 PM
Bascially the PI system in Forza 3 is broken to some degree when it comes to awd cars. When you add awd to a car that doesn't already have it, the PI factors in the weight that the awd adds, but it doesn't factor in the extra traction and stablity that the awd adds. As such, in mose cases, adding awd to a car makes its PI go down, so you can add more stuff (power/handling/weight reduction/etc.) to the car. Those added PI points gives awd cars an instant advantage over all other cars, and that is in addition to the extra traction and stability that natively comes with awd.

As if all that wasn't enough, there are cars in this game that can be made awd that have NO BUSINESS being awd, like Vipers and Mustangs and such. Also, I suspect that there is just some outright blatant favoritism from Turn 10 to certain car brands, especially Audi. I don't doubt for a second that Audi makes good cars, but I do question whether or not they are as good as this game makes them out to be. Much like how Gran Turismo blatantly favors Japanese car makers, Forza 3 seems to favor some of the German ones.

I don't want them to favor anyone, but if they were gonna do that, I'd hope that being an American company that they might do that with some American cars, but I guess not...

---
Kungfuj0
#6jreed1337Posted 1/4/2011 2:17:26 PM
"NO BUSINESS being awd"

why not? if i had the money, an awd viper would be awesome. =)

it sucks that FM3 has turned so many people against AWD IRL. its awesome. it is amazing to drive. it feels amazing. ive had many FWD and RWD cars, some with major suspension upgrades, but AWD just feels soooo much better.
---
.:R 1337 .:R
#7kungfuj0Posted 1/4/2011 3:26:06 PM
IRL, I am not against awd. Hell, I'm not against awd in the game. I just want it it to be handled right. The simple fact is that awd provides more of an advantage than it does a disadvantage, but for whatever reason that isn't properly represented in Forza 3.

As for an awd Viper, when Dodge starts rolling them off the production lines, and any schmoe with deep enough pockets can go buy one from his local dealership, then my view on awd vipers will change. Until then, as far as I know, that is a rwd car, and IF there is an awd one in existence somewhere in the real world, it is probably something that somebody had specially built. Like maybe someone saw the ones in Forza 3 and tried to build one in real life.

---
Kungfuj0
#8boarder835Posted 1/4/2011 3:31:05 PM
No one swaps drivetrains on super cars in real life. If you want your super car to have AwD you would buy a car that already had it. Not to say it's impossible or hasn't been done it's just not common practice because it's an impractical waste of money.

I completely agree a Viper AwD would be dumb, the car isn't made for it and could end up performing worse. Even if it did make it better I would still think it was a lame waste of money. Plus RwD is just cooler and more fun.
#9jreed1337Posted 1/4/2011 3:42:02 PM
"The simple fact is that awd provides more of an advantage than it does a disadvantage, but for whatever reason that isn't properly represented in Forza 3"

enter this car... =D

http://www.supercars.net/cars/4552.html

can u imagine what it was like getting to drive that thing... man...
---
.:R 1337 .:R
#10kungfuj0Posted 1/4/2011 5:48:29 PM
I think I remember that car, or one like it. It was waaay back in the day, in the old SCCA/Trans Am series, and I think a guy named Hurley(sp) Haywood drove it. There was another one too, but I don't remember the guy who drove that one.

All I remember is that when those cars came on the scene, they pretty much dominated, and the curvy-er the course, the better. That is why, IMO, there's not a whole lot of racing series that allow awd these days. That is how much of an advantage awd has.

---
Kungfuj0