Good, bad, maybe? First impressions please.

#1Longhorns747Posted 6/23/2008 10:52:07 AM
First topic maybe?

Also, what are your first impressions of this game.
---
Real men use the Wii Wheel.
People who agree: 36
#2RodanguirusPosted 6/23/2008 10:57:50 AM
I only played two stages, single-player. The concept is there, but so far it's too slow and has a definite lack of challenge. I'm counting on both factors ramping up in later levels. I give credit for being able to control with motion-sensing, and being able to play with just the nunchuck. Get a few friends to play, amp up the speed, and get some more varied enemies (all will hopefully happen later) and there's some very nice potential here.
---
#3blonzPosted 6/23/2008 10:59:55 AM
700 points is cheap..
#4vallxtremePosted 6/23/2008 11:01:16 AM
My biggest impression so far...

Kinda boring when played alone yet still enjoyable and fun
---
No one can consider themselves special
#5Comandante42Posted 6/23/2008 11:15:27 AM
I've been waiting for this game since WiiWare was launched and just spent the last of my points on it. Visually, Gyrostarr is definitely above average, and it's likely that the visual quality will be the game's strongest aspect. Having played through the first few levels, the difficulty is nothing too easy or anywhere near impossible, and the bonus levels are great for breathers in between levels.

The biggest problem with the game is that the experience may prove to be too repetitive. 50 levels of space track is still 50 levels of space track, no matter how many times you change the background; the only obstacles are enemies, the only directional changes come as the path curves and bends. There is also the argument that the game had more potential: why didn't High Voltage include some kind of online co-op or at least leaderboards? That would greatly extended the replay value, but might in turn have ramped up the game's cost (1000 points? 1500? Who knows how far Nintendo would take it.).

All in all, Gyrostarr is a steal for only 700 points. 50 levels should be enough for any shooter enthusiast, along with the ability to aim for the high scores of each level and four player co-op. This is one of the better titles to emerge from WiiWare, but it could have been so much more. Maybe a sequel wouldn't be out of the question if Gyrostarr sells well...

---
I report, I decide.
#6wutangscattPosted 6/23/2008 11:16:21 AM
Single Player impressions after one hour...

Pros
+Pretty slick visuals with an incredible sense of speed
+Tight motion and traditional control set-ups
+Unique style of gameplay

Cons
-Really repetitive
-Little enemy or stage variety
-It doesn't feel like it provides much of an addictive edge. This is a problem in a game where the goal is reaching the high score.
-The music is generic dance beats which fit the atmosphere, but offers nothing memorable

Overall

Maybe it's better as a multiplayer game, but I wasn't impressed. Not the best way to spend $7.
#7danielmgPosted 6/23/2008 11:18:28 AM
On my first game I got to level 20 and then decided it was time to die. It gets progressively harder but level 20 still seemed easy. There are 50 levels altogether and you have the option of starting at any of the levels you have beaten the next time you play. The graphics and music are well done in a techno Galaxy Wars/F-Zero style.

---
Buying used titles doesn't support the people who make games. The sale doesn't exist.
#8L0tto23Posted 6/23/2008 11:28:51 AM
hmm.. thanks for the impressions. Now if only some more videos were made showing off this game besides that one trailer, lol.
---
I'll walk right out into a brand new day, insane and rising in my own weird way.
#9Dark MousyPosted 6/23/2008 12:05:28 PM
I like it so far. I agree though, the levels need to be more intense with more enemies (I don't even care about variation, just more on the screen at once).
---
Nintendo 64 - Still the Fun Machine!
Pearl FC: 5069 2982 6663 (Mousy)
#10ECMPosted 6/23/2008 1:05:53 PM
Easy, boring, and ugly--how a game this simple can't manage 60fps kinda makes you worry about how The Conduit is going ot turn out in the end.

I agree with most of what has been posted, especially in that any game in this vein (Geometry Wars, Tempest et al, classic arcade 'em ups) that doesn't have that nigh-instant-addiciton factor is doomed from the outset.

I made it to level 17 or so before I finally had enough (no deaths!) and I don't think I'll be going back to it.