My personal review of a below-average game

#11MoonBoundPosted 6/27/2008 2:04:38 AM
But isnt also your opinion that no one will remember the game, and the game is not slow it actually picks at level 10 and gets better I understand your opinion but your overstating a bit.
#12SlamdariusPosted 6/27/2008 9:27:34 AM
Alright, lemmie have a look at this...

- The gameplay is way too simple (just two buttons the d-pad and 2)

Just the d-pad for moving and a button for shooting/bombs? Sounds awful familiar...maybe because that's the control formula for practically EVERY shooting game ever made.

- AI doesn't seem to be that interested in killing you.

Shooter game. Your enemies move around and fire their shots. As with practically every shooter I've played before, your ability to survive is equal to your ability to dodge the little bullets.

- Soundtrack is just plain BAD!

I hear you on this one - apparently there's like, 6 different songs in the game. I didn't notice. Must be terrible techno music, since it all sounded the same to me.

- Same boring level over and over again 50+ times

There was some variance in the layout of each level, but by the by the design doesn't stray too far from the generic wireframe space track. I agree.

- Wasting $7.00, when I could have wasted it into a much better game

Okay?

- No bosses just an army henchmen thoughout the game!

This bugged me too, but the mobs pile up rather quickly as you progress through the game, so it balances out.

- No story, plot, characters, or reason why your killing these henchmen

Show me a shooter game that has a good story.

In the end, what you have here is a rather sloppy review of a more than adequate shooter. With my two younger siblings, I had a great time playing this. Screw getting to level 30 for the action to start up - things start getting fast by level 10. Every few levels a new enemy or powerup is introduced to keep things from getting too stale, and despite the lack of upgradable weapons or bosses, the game stayed fresh all the way up to the end.

As for a waste of seven bucks, I'd have to say you're just upset that you spent money on a game that you can't glean any enjoyment from. This game is MORE than worth 700 points - it's a great deal. 50 levels, plus the bonus levels at the end of each one adds up to a lot of fun for a lot of hours.
#13MoonBoundPosted 6/27/2008 12:57:58 PM
Thank you slam your right on. Reviews like this mislead people there are not many shooters out there espically courses like gyro star if I can have fun solo and multiplayer so can many others and I crave huge variety if you just look deeper you will see a hidden variety of gameplay.

Now if we could only get audio surf for wiiware.
#14monkeylemurPosted 6/30/2008 10:27:10 PM
mayb u just dun hav friends

trust me, this is the best wii ware multiplayer out there
#15dragonball3900Posted 7/4/2008 12:02:05 PM

monkeylemur posted...

trust me, this is the best wii ware multiplayer out there

Magnetica Twist takes that title.

Anyways, I commend the High Voltage PR team, releasing two games on WiiWare(both broken in one form or another) and still creating hype for The Conduit. Good job selling on your name alone(hell, they got me to buy this).

#16kittykatz5kPosted 7/8/2008 9:26:39 AM

synapticflow posted...
Sometimes simple, frantic fun is all a person wants. In that way, it delivers.

It delivers, if you watch the trailer and think "Hey, that looks like fun, I want to do that over and over and over again with no real twist or depth or anything!"

#17kittykatz5kPosted 7/8/2008 9:39:51 AM

Sorry for the double post. Your ancient forums annoy me with their lack of an edit button. As long as we're reviewing reviews, let me review your review of a review.

- The gameplay is way too simple (just two buttons the d-pad and 2)

Just the d-pad for moving and a button for shooting/bombs? Sounds awful familiar...maybe because that's the control formula for practically EVERY shooting game ever made.

No, many shooters have a lot of hidden depth to them. Power ups often aren't random appearances that only serve a very bland purpose, so those come into play a lot, and there's usually a couple functions your ship is given outside of shoot. Grapple hook was an intresting idea but served only as a way to catch those white blobs and the before mentioned bland power ups.

---------------

- AI doesn't seem to be that interested in killing you.

Shooter game. Your enemies move around and fire their shots. As with practically every shooter I've played before, your ability to survive is equal to your ability to dodge the little bullets.

True enough, but what he means is a lot of the enemies just very useless undynamic figures. They move back and forth and shoot bullets occasionally in no given direction. This with the fact that the levles have no levle to them means you're stuck all game fighting things that do nothing.

- Soundtrack is just plain BAD!

I hear you on this one - apparently there's like, 6 different songs in the game. I didn't notice. Must be terrible techno music, since it all sounded the same to me.

- Same boring level over and over again 50+ times

There was some variance in the layout of each level, but by the by the design doesn't stray too far from the generic wireframe space track. I agree.

- Wasting $7.00, when I could have wasted it into a much better game

Okay?

- No bosses just an army henchmen thoughout the game!

This bugged me too, but the mobs pile up rather quickly as you progress through the game, so it balances out.

Yet the mobs as mentioned above, are intresting random varriables, not enemies.

- No story, plot, characters, or reason why your killing these henchmen

Show me a shooter game that has a good story.

Many shooters have a story, whether you read it or not. The story, however, is not the purpose of adding a story to a game like this, it's to add some substance to your design. If this game had a story, or any design elements like it, enemies might have actually looked and acted like enemies instead of being random blobs on the board that move back and forth in random directions, and levels might actually have been levels. [/QUOTE]

#18MoonBoundPosted 7/10/2008 9:37:54 PM
He did not mean they have no story what so ever he meant there mostly shallow and boring. I am happy with this game yes it can be better but its not as bad as you all claim if you dont want budget games then stop buying them other wise its time to move on.
#19kjata123Posted 7/12/2008 8:16:42 AM
You know there is the motion setting, where you move the Wiimote to move you ship thing. Which can make it harder to play for some.
#20jwallacePosted 8/3/2008 10:41:23 AM
I just got finished playing a sessioh of Gyrostarr and while I agree with topic creator regarding the music the agreements stop right there. Before I start I want to call the TC out for not only posting a review of a game that he spent little time on but also seems to force his negative view on others. To begin:

1. The game is only 700 Wii Points. Sure there are plenty of better games worth that much but it's a WiiWare title and a new IP at that. Compared to the offerings on Playstation Network and XBLA, Wii owners should consider themselves lucky that High Voltage didn't give us the finger.

2. Lack of difficulty? Try saying that after level 20! With the rammers and scouts firing at me I'm constantly missing energy orbs because I'm trying to stay alive. Consider the earlier stages a much-needed warmup, or just skip the ones that you already completed.

3. No story: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Does Geometry Wars have a story? Does Galaga? This isn't meant to be R-Type or Gradius, it's meant to be a low-cost shooter to appease shooter fans who happen to own a Wii. I guess you would rather play Protothea, then?

I just don't get it - Wii owners want more hardcore games and then complain about the lack of appeal. Well in Gyrostarr you have to know when to use the grapple to retrieve items and energy, try to keep the bonus multiplier at x5, know when to shoot or let the enemy pass by' and not to accidently shoot spheres into the rings (for fear of losing them).

All of this for 700 Wii Points. Sure the bonus stages serve little purpose (except adding energy to your gauge at the beginnig of the next level if you're good enough) and the music lacks variety (put a CD in the stereo and mute the television), but would you rather spend 700 points on this or on a game released decades ago?

I'm done. Whew!