What translation changes you did not like?

#21MysticB121Posted 12/4/2010 2:21:05 PM
...considering my user name and all. I was a little disappointed by the whole "mystics" - "fiend" change. Not saying my user name has anything to do with this game.

---
-MysticB
#22pobbesPosted 12/6/2010 8:22:41 PM
i was waiting for the "sir slush" comment in the fiendlord's keep. was so disappointed when he didn't say it :(
#23StartonePosted 12/8/2010 7:07:14 PM
"But that's exactly what bothers me about the mystics -> fiend change. It's not more accurate; it's just more... dictionary definition."

Overall it's more accurate.

As for the whole mystics vs. fiends terminology, the Japanese word, "mazoku" as it's used in fiction, often (though not always) refers to evil beings that are enemies of humans. And in Japanese mythology it was the general term for devils, demons, and evil beings. In that context, and given that these beings are not human and fight against humans, I think fiends works better here than mystics.

The problem I always had with the mystics term is that it doesn't specifically designate them as non-human. The word mystic can refer to either a human or a non-human, but the word fiend specifically describes a being that is non-human.
#24Duke DarkwoodPosted 12/8/2010 8:45:30 PM
On Frog: NOBODY ELSE in 600 A.D. spoke with that dialect. Further, Glenn himself didn't have that dialect in the flashbacks.

So unless Magus's curse was to turn Glenn not just into a frog, but a frog who speaks in an archaic manner, what reason was there FOR him to have that dialect?

On Fiends: I wonder - do any of them refer to themselves as such? If not, then the label is possibly human-given, as a way to demonize (metaphorically) their enemies. (If they DO use that term themselves, than how do we know it's negative to them? Perhaps they picked it up from the humans, and wear it as a badge of pride?)

On Sir Slush: Yeah, I miss that one, too. Alas.

But the line I most miss? From one of the NG+ endings - Magus's Epic Line. You all know the one.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh. I'm coming, Lavos!"

Also, I miss the one NPC line about Magus's lieutenants being "tone-deaf, evil fiends".
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#25LBokshaPosted 12/9/2010 7:01:31 AM
As for the whole mystics vs. fiends terminology, the Japanese word, "mazoku" as it's used in fiction, often (though not always) refers to evil beings that are enemies of humans.

From what I've seen, in modern fantasy fiction that's a pretty big "though not always". Specifically, a "though not always" that Chrono Trigger is a part of. This is why I feel "fiend" is out of place. They do oppose humans, but they're not inherently evil; why would even they refer to themselves as such?

The problem I always had with the mystics term is that it doesn't specifically designate them as non-human. The word mystic can refer to either a human or a non-human, but the word fiend specifically describes a being that is non-human.

Eh? You see the word fiend applied to humans all the time (probably as an attempt to dehumanize, but the effect is the same anyway). It may have meant something specifically non-human at some point, but it's certainly not exclusive anymore. So long as the word mystics is used consistently (as in, not for anything else) in the work and they look like pointy eared blue faced dwarfs or gargoyles, I'd say it's fairly obvious the word refers to non-humans (or maybe a kind of demi-humans) anyway.

And that's kind of my point; fantasy appropriates words for things they didn't originally mean all the time. If H.P. Lovecraft writes about the old ones, we don't need more than a page or so before we realize he's not talking about the elderly, do we? :-P
As such I feel that when translating, in such cases it's generally better to appropriate another word in the target language instead of trying to pick an existing word in that language and take it along with all its connotations. Mystic doesn't have all the biblical connotations of fiend, in much the same way as "mazoku" can also be used without connotations of actually being evil (as opposed to just opposing humanity or other gods for whatever reason) in Japanese fiction.
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#26StartonePosted 12/9/2010 11:07:02 AM
Eh, I still prefer fiend. I'm going off of the "non-human" qualifier. I would prefer that they be refered to as something that specifies them more as non-human, and mystic just doesn't do it for me.
#27SheoldredPosted 12/9/2010 4:57:34 PM
So unless Magus's curse was to turn Glenn not just into a frog, but a frog who speaks in an archaic manner, what reason was there FOR him to have that dialect?

Mayhap because Woolsey believed yon players would think it soundeth cool.
#28W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 12/9/2010 5:51:40 PM
So long as the word mystics is used consistently (as in, not for anything else) in the work

It's not. See 65,000,000 BC: "Mystic Mountain"

---
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.
#29LBokshaPosted 12/10/2010 4:12:34 AM
They couuld've just changed that instead. Plus it's an adjective, not a noun. :-P
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#30Cyan_of_DomaPosted 12/24/2010 10:29:12 AM
What I miss:
-Bad-ass Magus lines
-"Sir Slush"
-Yes Indeed!
-I slightly prefer "Mystics"
-I kind of liked Frog's out-of-place dialect

On the whole though, the new translation is pretty decent. Certainly a lot better than the god awful FF VI re-translation. They took all the soul (and the early scene that endears players to Celes' plight right at the offset of her story...you FF VI players know what I'm talking about) out of the game entirely, and for me it affects the game in the worst way. I'll definitely be sticking to my laggy psx version for that, since I never managed to get an SNES copy for myself.

Though I am kind of hoping both FF VI and CT see Wii VC releases in the original Woolsey translations like FF IV did.