Full Iconic Powers build?

#1CheeseItBagginsPosted 2/5/2011 1:47:15 PM
Hey guys,
I'd like to spar with you on the use of Iconic Powers and how to make them. I, like many people on this board, have complained before about a lack of diversity in the current power sets. I've also found that, while the power sets offer a nice set for a specific role (ie Sorcery perfectly lends itself to Healing, and Ice to Tanking), the Damage portion of it sometimes seems lackluster.

To get a unique and diverse build, and dish out some damage, I've decided to go a different route, and just go for full Iconic Powers, basically neglecting (most of) my chosen powerset.
Now, I unfortunately haven't been able to try out all specific Iconic Powers, and will need your input on finishing it.
Most, if not all of the Iconic Powers have a Power Interaction for the Damage Role, and will thus lend itself nicely to it.
I will now index the Iconic Powers and my take on them and their situational use. I would ask you that have used the power, to comment on it, so I can move to select my build...

Amazonium Deflection: Not a Damage power. Might be nice for PvP, but I haven't tried it yet. Because I focus mostly on damage output for this build, I'm going to give this a pass, but I would like some input on it's effectiveness, so I can maybe build it in later.

Batarang Triple Shot: Seems a bit lackluster. The Damage isn't great, the range, while conical, is a bit short, and so is the stun. I'm thinking pass.

Heat Vision: The description says 'ignites the target', which seems to me it applies some kind of DoT. Will need this verified from someone. It seems to do nice damage, although the repel seems somewhat annoying in a group fight.

Sonic Cry: Never tried this, will need input on it. Seems like it stuns, but I have no idea on whether or not it deals damage, and if so, how much.

Mesmerizing Lasso: Nice-ish for PvP to Ground enemies. Other than that, I don't see much use for a damage dealer.

Hard-Light Shield: While I know it's pretty damn awesome, I'm gonna say no from a damage dealer's point of view. I will keep this in mind for later use though, a defensive power as an 'Oh ****' button seems viable. Interestingly enough, it has a Damage Role Interaction. Could anyone explain to me how that works on a personal shield?

Robot Sidekick: No.

Freezing Breath: Slow, Chill, Incapacitate, as well as damage? Sounds nice enough. I haven't tried this yet, so I will need input on it.

Neo-Venom Boost: A personal buff. I have no idea on the duration and effect, and thus will need input on it, but it seems pretty nice for a Precision heavy type of character.

Word of Power: I like the sound of this one. Self-heal and AoE. It doesn't say whether or not it deals damage though. Any thoughts?

Pheromone Bloom: Again, this one doesn't say it deals damage. It just mentions a stun and casting time. Need input.

Sonic Shout: I quite like the sound of this, no pun intended. I've heard good stories about the damage, and a stun is always nice.

There you have it. So can anyone who's tried the powers comment on it? Bear in mind that I need some proper arguments on the how and what, at level 30 and with a proper amount of might and not just 'I tried this power as Controller at level 13 and it sux'.
This way, I can create a rather unique character with a wide variety of powers. Let's just give this a go, it might turn out to be good. I'll be the guinea pig.
---
I'm looking down on you so much that I'm about to break my neck. - SephirothPrime
#2Jonny2284Posted 2/5/2011 1:56:41 PM
I can only comment on the couple of active Iconics I've used so here goes:

Amazonium Deflection: Not a Damage power. Might be nice for PvP, but I haven't tried it yet. Because I focus mostly on damage output for this build, I'm going to give this a pass, but I would like some input on it's effectiveness, so I can maybe build it in later.

Very PVE useful, but I found in lacking in PVP, endgame PVPers tend to notice the glowing wrists that signal it's use and it just gives them a second before resuming their attack.

Word of Power: I like the sound of this one. Self-heal and AoE. It doesn't say whether or not it deals damage though. Any thoughts?

Don't bother, it's an absolute joke of a power.
---
http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Jonny2284.png
#33leetPosted 2/5/2011 2:36:45 PM
i agree with word of power being a joke. It takes to long to cast (and it can be interrupted) and doesnt give you much healing. I noticed little damage on the aoe, and it seemed it was simply meant to push enemies away. depending on what fighting style you're using that could be a problem.
#4EVIL CAP AMERICAPosted 2/5/2011 3:45:13 PM
Amazonian Deflection-The real problem with this power is that your basically standing there doing nothing when most of the time scoring a knockdown or stun would be more effective damaging and less power dependent

Tri-Batarang-Again its not as good as other abilities but if you lack an AOE stun it might be worth adding in

Heat Vision-Brutal.It does pretty solid damage the whole time it fires and ive rarely found non-boss enemies that could survive the whole thing.Even if it doesnt kill them it knocks back and ignites them causing a little extra damage.The only downside to the entire power is how long the character stays posing when using it even if the enemy drops dead in the first few ticks.Its probably the best raw damage Iconic power

Sonic cry-Im gonna go try this and report back

Lasso-Not as good as Taser and Acrobatics tie-up moves but for characters outside of those classes its nice.It gives you something you normally wouldnt be able to do the only downside is that it does no damage

Hard Light Shield-Its really good for anybody thats getting hit.Even if your DPS it can spare you some damage when you get aggro and give a chance for your buddies to pick it up again

Robot-This MIGHT be good if they ever fix it.Jury is out until then

Freezing breath-Im trying this ASAP just like Sonic Cry

Neo-Venom Boost-The damage boost isnt bad BUT it lasts such a short amount of time compared to the energy expended I cant recommend using it

Word of Power-Its not as bad as people say its an AOE high damage move that also stuns an obscenely long time and heals a little bit.The problem is finding enough enemies that dont have tons of stun/knockback or dumb enough to walk into the AOE.It actually has its uses in PvE but in PvP most opponents will see it coming a mile away

Pheromone Bloom-I havent tried this one either but im assuming its similar to WoP

Sonic Shout-Im betting its like the other sonic move tests pending
---
The [OSMBV] Harbinger of Newbie Death and MODOK Avenger of GameFAQs
Reigning Sorcerer Supreme of the GameFAQs dimension
#5DeathsRosesPosted 2/5/2011 4:00:41 PM
Sonic cry- I had it back in beta and it did to do alright damage, I believe it stuns too? Kind of like Roar on Nature.

Freezing Breath- Basically an ice version of sonic cry, it does pretty good damage, pretty sure it turns target into a block of ice if all of it hits.

Sonic Shout- It is has a small AoE and it is just around you and has a cast time.. back when I had it in the Beta it was weak.
---
PSN: FracturedOne
"I am not a simple destroyer, my friends. I am a noble savage"
#6CheeseItBaggins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2011 4:20:18 PM
Wow, thanks for being so elaborate, guys. I'm gonna wait until you report back with the Freezing Breath and Sonic Cry/Shout until I start making decisions.
---
I'm looking down on you so much that I'm about to break my neck. - SephirothPrime
#7kowolfPosted 2/5/2011 6:00:36 PM
Sonic Cry - its the only one im currently using. it does cone damage every second or so. it can be interrupted and i have not seen it stun or cause any other effects than damage. maybe i missing it but i only use it when there is a big group and they're already aggro'd onto something else. pretty good damage output btw.
#8EVIL CAP AMERICAPosted 2/5/2011 8:46:11 PM
Been playing with Freezing Breath a little bit and I really like it.Its a cone AOE attack thats pretty easily to adjust to other targets it does about as much damage as Heat vision.It also has extra status effects like slowing and encasing but anything past slowing takes a really long time to happen.If you pardon the pun Freeze breath has a somewhat long cooldown time which balances it pretty good.It doesnt quite hit as hard fast and at as long a range as heat vision but the ability to hit a crowd and debuff while doing solid damage makes Freeze breath well worth using
---
The [OSMBV] Harbinger of Newbie Death and MODOK Avenger of GameFAQs
Reigning Sorcerer Supreme of the GameFAQs dimension
#9CheeseItBaggins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2011 11:12:51 PM
Thanks so far and bump for more input.
---
#10IoraBluePosted 2/6/2011 12:03:20 AM
Are they going to add more iconic powers?